Refund for a Cancelled Excursion Questions

DublinFC

Hello,

I was wondering how the money spent is refunded when or if a shore excursion is cancelled by Royal Caribbean during the cruise?   Does it become onboard credit or go back to the card used for payment?  

A follow up to the above questions.  If the money is made to be onboard credit, can that credit be used for a deposit at the cruise next desk?

Edited by DublinFC

If its before your cruise, it gets refunded in the form of payment you used to pay for it.  I have never cancelled onboard, but even if you wearn't able to spend a ship credit, it would be refunded to you at the end of the cruise.

@wordell1 and @steverk I should have clarified what I was asking.  I was thinking if the excursion cancelled during the sailing.  For example, not going to Perfect Day due to high winds/rough waters would the cabana or whatever was booked be turned into OBC or back to the CC used to pay for it.  

The reason I am asking is that in my mind the money was spent already and having an OBC might not get spent.  Might as well book another cruise with the OBC if that is allowed. Especially since we would most likely be booking another sailing while on board. 

Again just something I was thinking of and thought I would as the folks here.

8 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

@wordell1 and @steverk I should have clarified what I was asking.  I was thinking if the excursion cancelled during the sailing.  For example, not going to Perfect Day due to high winds/rough waters would the cabana or whatever was booked be turned into OBC or back to the CC used to pay for it.  

The reason I am asking is that in my mind the money was spent already and having an OBC might not get spent.  Might as well book another cruise with the OBC if that is allowed. Especially since we would most likely be booking another sailing while on board. 

I'm not sure that you can cancel shore excusions at the last minute and get a refund - I think I have read that it needs to be done 48 hours ahead, but others will chime in with the correct answer.  If the cruise line cancels, then you would get a refund, probably an OBC.  If you have a remaining OBC at the end of the cruise, it is refunded to you.

34 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

In my case the excursion was parasailing in Key West.  It was cancelled by Royal the morning of the excursion due to high winds.  The amount was refunded to my credit card.

11 minutes ago, steverk said:

In my case the excursion was parasailing in Key West.  It was cancelled by Royal the morning of the excursion due to high winds.  The amount was refunded to my credit card.

Good to know.  If that is how its all handled I would just use it to book the next cruise.  This is all hypothetical anyway, Id rather make the stop and check out Perfect Day than have it cancelled. 

3 hours ago, KJones said:

Now that there's a pier and no tendering required, I can't imagine too many stops at Cococay getting cancelled mid-sailing (unless there's a hurricane, etc)

Funny you say that - I was on Mariner in February 2020 and our Coco Cay stop was cancelled the morning of due to high/rough waves and we couldn't dock (although we tried twice). The Coco Cay Beach club pass I had bought (for $39.99!!) was refunded as OBC.

4 hours ago, DublinFC said:

For example, not going to Perfect Day due to high winds/rough waters would the cabana or whatever was booked be turned into OBC or back to the CC used to pay for it.  

It gets refunded as OBC in that case.  Any unspent part of that will be refunded to your credit card that you put down to use for our onboard account for the cruise.  

You can not use OBC to make future cruise bookings.

We had a snorkeling trip canceled in St. Thomas two years ago due to problems with the boat so we found out at the dock. We were offered an alternative at a lower price so we received refundable onboard credit.

While better than before the pier and seemingly more successful than Disney going into Castaway Cay, there are definitely days when it’s too rough to dock at Coco Cay, particularly in the winter months when high winds and rough seas are more common.