Allure & Symphony get test cruise approval

38 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I will say this. They need to fire whoever is in charge of Marketing/PR.

Michael's Bayley FB post was tone deaf. Yippee!!! is how he starts? Does he not realize how that will be received by customers on July/August sailings that for the first time they realize that their sailings will be cancelled?? Not every cruiser keeps up with cruise news and boards like this. They trust Royal and what they are told. Bayley's FB message was totally tone deaf and put TAs in a terrible position today not to mention those poor customer service reps that man the phones who are now being instructed to outright lie to paying customers. This is a PR nightmare. It would have been better to announce cancellations FIRST and then announce test cruises. I get it, Bayley is rightfully excited about test sailings but did he even run this by his fellow execs and Marketing/PR departments before he announced on FB? If so, did no other exec stop and give him some pause as how this would be received by passengers on July/August sailings? 

This is truly an unforced error by Royal in customer relations and PR

This! I prefer Royal over any other cruise line. I’m also a TA. This entire announcement and the confusion it has caused would have been alleviated if they had moved forward with cancellations. Nobody wants to learn their cruise was cancelled by reading it on Facebook, especially when the message starts with “Yippee”. What do I as a TA say to clients? 

13 minutes ago, NickNafster79 said:

Where did they say that? Not doubting you, just wanting to read it with my own eyes (and the inevitable tears that will follow).

If you go here , Richard Fain talks about it in the video, and Matt writes about the vaccine protocol in the blog post. I totally understand needing to see it with your own eyes. There has been a lot of "i heard x is happening" lately! And, as someone mentioned above, anything could still happen, but this is what the plan is currently. 

12 minutes ago, jensspark said:

This! I prefer Royal over any other cruise line. I’m also a TA. This entire announcement and the confusion it has caused would have been alleviated if they had moved forward with cancellations. Nobody wants to learn their cruise was cancelled by reading it on Facebook, especially when the message starts with “Yippee”. What do I as a TA say to clients? 

My Father is also a TA and he has absolutely no clue what to tell people on this situation either. They’ve really fumbled the ball on the whole PR aspect of this. It wouldn’t have been that bad if they had just cancelled first, but now there will be extra angry customers who see this news and are confused about their status.

My 2 cents: No cruises through Octoberish timeframe will sail as booked currently. Most of these ships are being repositioned which means cancellations. The best way for Royal to handle this is month by month cruises. When they start selling Freedom and Symphony sailings from their respective new home ports, they will have to cancel all other sailings on the ship and people will rebook. This is similar to when Adventure of the Seas was scheduled out of another home port and moved to Nassau. They cancelled all June-September sailings and people rebooked for Nassau.

This is all just my opinion, but it seems Freedom is doing 3/4 night cruises out of south florida, instead of its usual 7 night cruises.

All in all, I hope I am wrong! BRING BACK US CRUISES ?

50 minutes ago, jensspark said:

The "Yippee" thing kills me.

I get that it's a big step forward to getting restarted, but the news means a lot of us are likely having our cruises canceled. This was my first cruise in almost 20 years and my honeymoon, so "Yippee" doesn't quite capture my mood at the moment (as I'm sure it doesn't with many others, as well).

I would be good to have some kind of "scoreboard" showing the Ships, their test cruise dates (requested/approved) and their "estimated" first official cruise time frame...  (of course, no one knows what Royal's plans are for which ships they may try the 95/98 plan).  I was feeling good 2 weeks ago about my Sep (Explorer) and Oct (Navigator) sailings...  now, not so much...  ?

17 minutes ago, Snotarni said:

I would be good to have some kind of "scoreboard" showing the Ships, their test cruise dates (requested/approved) and their "estimated" first official cruise time frame...  (of course, no one knows what Royal's plans are for which ships they may try the 95/98 plan).  I was feeling good 2 weeks ago about my Sep (Explorer) and Oct (Navigator) sailings...  now, not so much...  ?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eOu1H7Y5xtnJEW-MxkCZ7WjoIR4cHcR_Zr6jx7pU-lw/edit#gid=0

8 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Thank You!

Maybe another column for "date revenue sailing approved", we can keep a running average for how long CDC sits on the data post test.

Awesome!!  Thanks!  and I like the idea of tracking the CDC cycle time...

13 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I think RCL will cancel only when they have the new sailing dates so people can switch quickly.

That will be August. There is only a 2 week window for most families in August before school and by that time people will have already taken alternate vacations. They should not wait to do this.

AND there will be several people that want refunds not FCC. Cant assume everyone will want to rebook

13 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

That will be August. There is only a 2 week window for most families in August before school and by that time people will have already taken alternate vacations. They should not wait to do this.

AND there will be several people that want refunds not FCC. Cant assume everyone will want to rebook

I do not think they will wait for August , anyway they should not.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

If you believe the source, here’s some more entries for your Google Sheet: 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/news/6165/

Yes, other lines are mentioned, but there’s the Independence and the Mariner...

I’m terrible with spreadsheets in general, I will leave this up to others to add to the Sheets, lol.

Regarding the tone deaf comments....

I don't think anything Bayley did is a problem. In fact, I think it's a public service because we'd know nothing about test cruises without it.

However....

The fact Royal is the only line that hasn't cancelled July cruises yet is a problem, and whomever is holding the line for some miracle or who knows what is the "problem".

They should have cancelled July a long time ago.  With reduced capacity almost certain, cancelling and then bringing back sailings for rebook later would be the simplest approach.

At the end of the day, I get the cruise line wants to hold onto sailings if there's a chance they may sail so they can actually make some money.  But given what other lines have done (cancelling July), it should have been done at least 2 weeks ago.

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don't think anything Bayley did is a problem. In fact, I think it's a public service because we'd know nothing about test cruises without it.

Point well taken. And you are right about knowing about the test cruising but I think he could have done both announcing test cruises and expressing regret for the cruises that will have to be cancelled. The way he did it, makes some people still think their July cruise is sailing

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

However....

The fact Royal is the only line that hasn't cancelled July cruises yet is a problem, and whomever is holding the line for some miracle or who knows what is the "problem".

They should have cancelled July a long time ago.  With reduced capacity almost certain, cancelling and then bringing back sailings for rebook later would be the simplest approach.

At the end of the day, I get the cruise line wants to hold onto sailings if there's a chance they may sail so they can actually make some money.  But given what other lines have done (cancelling July), it should have been done at least 2 weeks ago.

Agreed. They need to cancel July + the ships that are being repositioned so we have an idea of what is going on. At this point they are just holding onto our money and aggravating the public.

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

However....

Someone made the point above, but it was a good one.  Most people put almost no effort into research and most cruisers are first timers.  They are most likely completely unaware that they are probably not going on that cruise in a just a few weeks.  Think about how that affects their view of RC going forward.

40 minutes ago, Sushitex said:

If you believe the source, here’s some more entries for your Google Sheet: 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/news/6165/

Yes, other lines are mentioned, but there’s the Independence and the Mariner...

I’m terrible with spreadsheets in general, I will leave this up to others to add to the Sheets, lol.

I assume the Mariner and Independence info comes right from the tweet linked above. But I added them to the spreadsheet

43 minutes ago, Matt said:

However....

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the August 1st Allure sailing, since it runs immediately after the test cruise.  Wonder how long the CDC will take for approvals or what happens should the Allure "fail".  That's a really short window to notify customers of the changes.

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I think RCL will cancel only when they have the new sailing dates so people can switch quickly.

But how can they have new sailing dates if August sailings are already booked? 

I had hoped that Odyssey might get an early test sailing, since it has crew, and then we could swap our Allure July 25th sailing over to Odyssey, but now that doesn't seem a possibility. 

44 minutes ago, RyanS said:

Agreed. They need to cancel July + the ships that are being repositioned so we have an idea of what is going on. At this point they are just holding onto our money and aggravating the public.

It's really more than aggravating. My June 19, 2021  Brilliance sailing out of Tampa was cancelled in March, still have yet to receive my cash refund yet, @Sharla processed the request same day, its only 750.00 but a very excessive wait for my monies. 

We are booked on 01 August 2021 Allure, if they cancel or demand 12 + be vaccinated how long will it take for that refund? I always supported this company, I was there booking because I believed in the product, if we are not sailing, if protocols prohibit me from sailing why can't they return my monies at least within the 45 days they promised? 

Just so frustrating, they can control this but they don't seem to care anymore. ?

4 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

I will say this. They need to fire whoever is in charge of Marketing/PR.

Michael's Bayley FB post was tone deaf. Yippee!!! is how he starts? Does he not realize how that will be received by customers on July/August sailings that for the first time they realize that their sailings will be cancelled?? Not every cruiser keeps up with cruise news and boards like this. They trust Royal and what they are told. Bayley's FB message was totally tone deaf and put TAs in a terrible position today not to mention those poor customer service reps that man the phones who are now being instructed to outright lie to paying customers. This is a PR nightmare. It would have been better to announce cancellations FIRST and then announce test cruises. I get it, Bayley is rightfully excited about test sailings but did he even run this by his fellow execs and Marketing/PR departments before he announced on FB? If so, did no other exec stop and give him some pause as how this would be received by passengers on July/August sailings? 

This is truly an unforced error by Royal in customer relations and PR

He’s getting an earful on Facebook lol

“We were hoping and praying that our 7 day July 25th 2019 Family cruise on the Allure would go in 2021 (after being cancelled twice).  We were going to celebrate a 90th birthday, a retirement and a High School graduation.  Michael Bayley - you owe it to all your guests to CANCEL the July cruises ASAP so we can make other plans.”

“Since I was supposed to be sailing on the Allure July 25, I would have appreciated a notice of cancellation before seeing this. Very disappointed in Royal Caribbean’s communication right now.”

“Michael Bayley  wonderful news. A trip we bought in January 2020 was canceled for summer of 2020.  We are on July 11th cruise that will be canceled when you get around to it. And you will be keeping our money for another year being school starts up in early August AND you won't refund our FCC.   Again WONDERFUL NEWS. That makes it
 2 1/2 years you'll be holding our money.   Please just give us a refund already so we can go on other vacations with it.”

There’s a few hundred more...

1 hour ago, wordell1 said:

Most people put almost no effort into research and most cruisers are first timers.  They are most likely completely unaware that they are probably not going on that cruise in a just a few weeks.  Think about how that affects their view of RC going forward.

Totally agree. It never ceases to amaze me how little research people put into a vacation that costs them thousands, but they will shop around and research a new appliance, which costs a fraction of that.

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

Totally agree. It never ceases to amaze me how little research people put into a vacation that costs them thousands, but they will shop around and research a new appliance, which costs a fraction of that.

Everytime someone tells me they are going on an RC cruise and I ask what ship the response is "Something of the Seas".

54 minutes ago, Neesa said:

It's really more than aggravating. My June 19, 2021  Brilliance sailing out of Tampa was cancelled in March, still have yet to receive my cash refund yet, @Sharla processed the request same day, its only 750.00 but a very excessive wait for my monies. 

One reason why I cancelled my Brilliance labor day cruise before final payment.  I know there is no way is is going to happen.

40 minutes ago, Matt said:

I have many  friends and family who have no idea that cruises have been shut down since 3/20.  They keep asking me why I'm not sailing - DOH!

So I’m due to sail on Allure 22nd August. I was told by rcl that I would receive the latest cruise conditions 30 days prior. How can this now happen when the test cruise is after that date?

Im travelling from the UK (hopefully) and will have unvaccinated children. I need to know the policy before 30 days. I also would like to know what the on board experience will be like, masks etc.

July should definitely be cancelled and done with. The big unknown are the cruises that fall within a few weeks after the test cruises take place. Someone like me who has an 8/14 sailing on Symphony gets stuck in limbo. This is my first Oasis class sailing, so I don't want to cancel if there's a chance. BUT, if there's no chance, then I would prefer to get moving and cancel/re-book on Adventure for the same week. 

13 minutes ago, icf75 said:

So I’m due to sail on Allure 22nd August. I was told by rcl that I would receive the latest cruise conditions 30 days prior. How can this now happen when the test cruise is after that date?

Im travelling from the UK (hopefully) and will have unvaccinated children. I need to know the policy before 30 days. I also would like to know what the on board experience will be like, masks etc.

Those of us on Adventure of the Seas in 9 days still don't have the covid protocols yet.

The good news is that Allure will have hopefully passed her test cruise and you have a reasonable hope that your cruise will go.

11 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Those of us on Adventure of the Seas in 9 days still don't have the covid protocols yet.

The good news is that Allure will have hopefully passed her test cruise and you have a reasonable hope that your cruise will go.

It may well go but I need to know 30 days prior as that’s when I need to cancel the alternative accommodation I have booked.