WOW Bands

They are on sale usually on day 1 right when you enter the ship. I believe they were $5 and the color is based on your muster station.

I did not find them super useful as they did not work very well back then and I ended up just using the card a lot. it was useful though if the bar staff were able to get it to work ? 

8 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I received them complementary on Anthem sailing in a Grand Suite. I believe a friend also got them as part of his Junior Suite.

I too loved them and would pay $5.00 without question. 

Thanks. If they offer them maybe I'll try it out.

19 hours ago, RyanS said:

They are on sale usually on day 1 right when you enter the ship. I believe they were $5 and the color is based on your muster station.

I did not find them super useful as they did not work very well back then and I ended up just using the card a lot. it was useful though if the bar staff were able to get it to work ? 

I'm sorry you'e had issues with wow bands in the past but I've never had any issues with wow bands and I've never paid for a wow band, the wow bands have always been in my cabin on embarkation along with my key card. I've always thought they were free because ever since they rolled out wow bands they were always in my cabin. 

Like you pointed out they are useful for paying for drinks, food, and other stuff onboard the ship, also they come in handy should a person forget their key card in their room.

We were in a suite on the Harmony and from what I understood the WOW band were suppose to be in the room.  There was a dedicated space for them but they weren't there.  I ended up getting them a guest services for free.  Like Matt said they were good for opening your door.  I believe the dealers at the blackjack tables used them to scan instead of room card.

Question with the WOW Bands ..... so, if I'm laying by the pool and the waiter shows up, I don't need to fumble to get my card to order a drink?  Does that person have a scanner that can scan my WOW band and that's it?  If that's how it works... #gamechanger

10 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Question with the WOW Bands ..... so, if I'm laying by the pool and the waiter shows up, I don't need to fumble to get my card to order a drink?  

Correct

10 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Does that person have a scanner that can scan my WOW band and that's it? 

Sometimes yes, sometimes they ask you take the band off and they scan it back at the bar.

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

Correct

Sometimes yes, sometimes they ask you take the band off and they scan it back at the bar.

So --- basically, if they have to go this route, it would be no different than if WOW bands weren't available.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.  The benefits are def. worth the $5.  Looking forward to it.  Thanks Matt

Hope to see the WOW bands on all Royal ships. Used the Medallion on the Princess cruises we have been on and they are definitely worth it. Our door would unlock as we got close and that in its self was a huge plus. The only drawback was the lack of a ship card to keep the room lights on. Our steward gave each of us a business card he had made just for that purpose. Got him a good tip at the end of the cruise.

20 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

Hope to see the WOW bands on all Royal ships. Used the Medallion on the Princess cruises we have been on and they are definitely worth it. Our door would unlock as we got close and that in its self was a huge plus. The only drawback was the lack of a ship card to keep the room lights on. Our steward gave each of us a business card he had made just for that purpose. Got him a good tip at the end of the cruise.

So if you get WOW band you will not get sea pass card?

On 5/31/2021 at 4:31 PM, Walt Golas said:

Has anybody used them before? It says Symphony has them. Are they ever on sale before the cruise?

June 11th, 2022 Symphony

Used them on Symphony after they just rolled out.   I thought they were convenient as a room key and when in pool area (as opposed to keeping track of the card).  Way back, there were issues with the bar drink readers,  but guessing they may have gotten the bugs out of them by now.  I think they're used for contact tracking in the current age.   When we sailed, we had both the WOW band and a room key card.   

• 9 months later...
21 hours ago, AdvanceTripper said:

So, just to confirm, Allure of the Seas does NOT have WOW bands?

They are the only Oasis class ship that isn't currently equipped to use them. They still have the insert your key card style door locks. The rest of the ships use the proximity style cards that you tap to unlock the door.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe @Matt discussed this with Royal Caribbean's Senior Vice President and Chief Product Innovation Officer Jay Schneider on his podcast and the answer was they were still exploring bringing them back but had no definite decisions made either way yet.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-445-what-royal-caribbean-has-planned-jay-schneider

Having using them I don't see the point of bring them back as they were. If they were reliable for drinks and purchases and not only to open your cabin, and you could use them to get on the ship on ports maybe...

They should pivot to a system like the Princess Medallion, more useful and more technologically advanced.

First time cruiser here and heading on Allure in September. As someone who is known to lose keycards like its my job, the WOWbands sound like they were made for me. I know that Allure doesn't have them right now, but does anyone know if RC has plans to put them on the ship? 

And, for my own future reference, does anyone know if the bands work at Coco Cay? That would be soooo awesome. TIA

21 minutes ago, NFLDVanessa said:

First time cruiser here and heading on Allure in September. As someone who is known to lose keycards like its my job, the WOWbands sound like they were made for me. I know that Allure doesn't have them right now, but does anyone know if RC has plans to put them on the ship? 

And, for my own future reference, does anyone know if the bands work at Coco Cay? That would be soooo awesome. TIA

Allure would have to be refitted with the proximity key door locks for all of the rooms for them to start using WOW bands. Allure still uses the old SeaPass cards that you have to slide to use for payments and room entry.  Since CocoCay serves all of the ships they aren't set up on the tap to pay system either. They still require swiping the SeaPass cards.