CK questions

Pooch

First, I am so happy to start a thread that has NOTHING to do with Covid, masks, government agencies or vaccines!!!

We will have access to CK for the first time on our Harmony cruise.  I know I can expect to be contacted by the concierge prior to boarding.  Can I request they make reservations for the 4 of us for every night?  Is that overstepping?  On nights we know we won’t go, I would most certainly cancel in advance.  Do they scan sea passes to get in? Or do you just flash the gold card? (Hubby loves that- such a suite snob). Are menus typically available prior to sailing? I envision everyone looking at the menus and choosing CK, MDR or WJ based on what’s being served & how the wind is blowing any given night.  Cruise is too far away!!!!  286 days and counting. ?

Asking the suite concierge to make reservations isn't over stepping at all. I've made pre-cruise requests by replying to the welcome email.

I'm not sure how CK is situated on Harmony, but don't recall showing sea pass on Anthem but we might have.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Typo

No scanning but there is a host/hostess just inside the door to confirm your reservation and get you seated for dinner. On this class of ship the lounge is inside the same area so you might already be close by too. Filet used to be on the very first night and that illustrious gold card also gives you access to breakfast and/or lunch "up there." Plus beer, wine and soda service complimentary after 1100 I believe. 

The only specialty restaurant we have planned is dinner at Izumi for my son, brother and nephew.  They are not in our OS (well my son is but not the other 2).  They are in a JS.  will the concierge make that reservation for 3 for me?  Do they care who the 3 are?

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

The only specialty restaurant we have planned is dinner at Izumi for my son, brother and nephew.  They are not in our OS (well my son is but not the other 2).  They are in a JS.  will the concierge make that reservation for 3 for me?  Do they care who the 3 are?

Probably yes, because your son is on the reservation.  The reservation will have names attached.  They do work for tips and want to please.  If not, just make the reservation for you three and then switch the names when you board.

22 hours ago, Pooch said:

First, I am so happy to start a thread that has NOTHING to do with Covid, masks, government agencies or vaccines!!!

We will have access to CK for the first time on our Harmony cruise.  I know I can expect to be contacted by the concierge prior to boarding.  Can I request they make reservations for the 4 of us for every night?  Is that overstepping?  On nights we know we won’t go, I would most certainly cancel in advance.  Do they scan sea passes to get in? Or do you just flash the gold card? (Hubby loves that- such a suite snob). Are menus typically available prior to sailing? I envision everyone looking at the menus and choosing CK, MDR or WJ based on what’s being served & how the wind is blowing any given night.  Cruise is too far away!!!!  286 days and counting. ?

The CK door is normally closed and you need to swipe to enter (Star, and Sky class).  In past cruises, JS (Sea Class) swipe wouldn't work even though evening dining was allowed.  So probably best you all enter together.

9 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Ok, not trying to break rules (ok I probably am) but could I give my brother/nephew my card to use if I can’t get reservations for them?  So we trade off night to night?

Not really a good idea.  Having said that, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make a reservation at CK that includes them.  They are eligible to eat in CK in a JS, but would normally only be able to make reservations based on availability.  If they want to eat alone in CK, they may have to make the reservation the normal way.  

8 hours ago, Pooch said:

So if we have reservations for 4 and 2 of us decide not to go, could I politely ask the host/hostess if my brother/nephew could take their place as they are entitled to CK dinner based on availability.

As long as someone from the full suite is still going,  I can't see why there would be an issue.  They would not let you invite people from a normal cabin at all, but JS guests are eligible anyway so I think you would be ok. Again, I would tip the concierge.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:34 AM, Pooch said:

Ok, not trying to break rules (ok I probably am) but could I give my brother/nephew my card to use if I can’t get reservations for them?  So we trade off night to night?

Getting a room card and a WOW band will gives you a spare access key. (Unless they've changed things)

Usually when I go to CK they just ask for your room number.  With that  they can see who is registered to that cabin and I think pictures?

Plus I have been on cruises where I am allowed to bring family or friends, who are in regular cabins, with us to CK.  I ask ahead and they usually make  accommodations.  But often at slow dining times and certain days.  I am very pleased with the experiences I have had at CK.

I think I am just going to ask the concierge if it would be possible to make reservations for 6 on a night or two.  If not, I’ll have them make reservations for 4 and see if I can add the other 2 once on board.  Going in with a friendly polite attitude often gets good results ?

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

I think I am just going to ask the concierge if it would be possible to make reservations for 6 on a night or two.  If not, I’ll have them make reservations for 4 and see if I can add the other 2 once on board.  Going in with a friendly polite attitude often gets good results ?

You shouldn't have any issues since the extra 2 are in a JS.  

On 6/1/2021 at 9:34 AM, Pooch said:

I would not do that. If they see that happening they may call you out on it. Not sure what they would do but it would be embarrassing for the person holding the wrong card.  I would not try to buck the system.  If everyone did that that was staying suite level, then it's just not special.  Ok. I'm a suite snob, but if I'm paying extra to be there and find out that people not paying for suite class are getting to use my benefits, i'm not happy.  

My brother and nephew are staying in a junior suite (mentioned that several times) so they ARE eligible to eat dinner at CK.  I am just trying to work out reservation logistics.  Not trying to sneak in any of the unwashed masses.

Sorry but felt your post was rather snarky.

17 hours ago, Pooch said:

My brother and nephew are staying in a junior suite (mentioned that several times) so they ARE eligible to eat dinner at CK.  I am just trying to work out reservation logistics.  Not trying to sneak in any of the unwashed masses.

Sorry but felt your post was rather snarky.

Yes, junior suite can eat at CK (dinner only) IF it's not full. That's what I've learned from here. When you make the reservations just let them know the other party is junior suite. If they can accommodate they will I'm sure. 

On 6/7/2021 at 6:35 PM, Pooch said:

My brother and nephew are staying in a junior suite (mentioned that several times) so they ARE eligible to eat dinner at CK.  

Just make your dinner reservation for 6 and give both room numbers.  Should be no issues with that provided they have the space available.

• 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, Chuck586 said:

So this thread raises a question.  My understanding was that Star and Sky Class passengers could invite other guests to dine with them in CK whenever they wanted.  Perhaps something has changed with the covid restrictions??

This has never really been a guarantee (before or after COVID).  There is nothing in the "rules" that allows any non-suite guest (other than Pinnacle members) to invite guests into the SL or CK.  Does it ever happen ?  Yes....but it is absolutely at the discretion (and always has been) of the CK Managers.

26 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This has never really been a guarantee (before or after COVID).  There is nothing in the "rules" that allows any non-suite guest (other than Pinnacle members) to invite guests into the SL or CK.  Does it ever happen ?  Yes....but it is absolutely at the discretion (and always has been) of the CK Managers.

Interesting.  When it does happen, do they charge the non-suite guests something or does it remain complementary?

5 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Interesting.  When it does happen, do they charge the non-suite guests something or does it remain complementary?

Never any charge that I am aware of unless maybe it would be for wine, if wine is consumed.  I've never heard of that happening....just saying it might.

I’m sure it changes from ship to ship and depends on who you’re dealing with, but…I find that most managers/hosts at CK try their best to reasonably accommodate in most circumstances. Of course there must be someone eligible to enter and utilize the premises. They usually can tell from reservations and trends during that particular cruise when there is availability and they try to make it happen for you. Especially if you are willing to be flexible. And most importantly…being considerate, understandable and gracious. You can catch more flies with honey…(I don’t know why I used that proverb…I hate flies!).