Rookie

olejt

Hi

Are planning a cruise next year with my family , wife and three kids (7,10 and 12). Have not been on cruise since 1998 (Monarch of the Seas), so this will be the first cruise with my family.

We will probably take the cruise from Ft. Lauderdal on the 9th of July next year (Allure of the Seas), with ports Phillipsburg, San Juan and Labadee.

Since we are five people we either need a family cabin or two cabins next to each other. I called RCCL earlier today , and it was actually cheaper to buy two cabins, than one family cabin.

Is there any decks /types of view,  the more frequent travellers can recommend ? 

And if there is any other goods advices before we book, I would be grateful for them.

Regards

Ole J (Norway)

Hi

Are planning a cruise next year with my family , wife and three kids (7,10 and 12). Have not been on cruise since 1998 (Monarch of the Seas), so this will be the first cruise with my family.

We will probably take the cruise from Ft. Lauderdal on the 9th of July next year (Allure of the Seas), with ports Phillipsburg, San Juan and Labadee.

Since we are five people we either need a family cabin or two cabins next to each other. I called RCCL earlier today , and it was actually cheaper to buy two cabins, than one family cabin.

Is there any decks /types of view,  the more frequent travellers can recommend ? 

And if there is any other goods advices before we book, I would be grateful for them.

Regards

Ole J (Norway)

I sail with my children who are now 9 and 7 years old.  When they were really young we sailed in a single balcony room, but now we either try to get the Family Oceanview (FO) class rooms, or two connecting rooms.  To save a bit of money we have a balcony room with a connecting interior room on our next cruise on Adventure; there are only a few of those types available, and they are only on Voyager class ships (and maybe Freedom, look at the rear corners on deck 9).

Having connecting rooms was really nice, as it afforded us a little privacy when needed, and gave us two bathrooms.

On a cruise next April all 4 of us are sailing in a single interior room...we'll see how that goes. :)  

Hei Ole, eg velkommen!

This site has lot of great information.  Be sure to check out the podcasts and Periscope broadcasts as well.

With regard to the rooms, I agree with bcarney, with two staterooms you'll have two restrooms.  Even with just two adults that can be a nice perk, but with a party of five it would seem the key to maintaining sanity.

You'll find staterooms on the Allure to be much larger than what you had on Monarch of the Seas, and there are far more options for stateroom type and location.  As you may have seen, the Allure offers staterooms that are part of the different 'neighborhoods' of the ship.  A Central Park Balcony stateroom, for example, is a stateroom with a balcony, but overlooks the Central Park are of the ship.  There are also Boardwalk Balcony staterooms, staterooms with an ocean view window, ocean view banconies, etc.  I personally like seeing the ocean as much as possible, and as such I'd recommend a Boardwalk room that is towards the aft of the vessel so you can see a glimpse of ocean by the Aqua Theatre, or, an ocean view balcony.  Of course, this is just my personal preference.

Take a look at the below link which explains the Oasis Class ships a bit, and let us know how we can help.

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/08/12/what-first-time-cruisers-need-know-about-oasis-and-allure-of-the-seas

I have 2 children and I agree, two rooms is better than 1 big room.  If nothing else, you get separation from your children and an extra bathroom.

If sailing on Allure of the Seas, I really like connecting Central Park balcony staterooms: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2014/07/19/everything-about-royal-caribbeans-central-park-view-balcony-staterooms

Dear Friends

Thank you so far for your valuable comments :) Then I will go for two cabins.

Since this cruise allready seems to fill up fast, I  prebooked my staterooms allready today.... (and I will surprise the grandmother of my children with a cruise, so we will now be six persons).

We have chosen a inside stateroom with Balcony. Since we prefer to have staterooms close to each other, there where not many to choose between.

We ended up with stateroom 8303 and 8307. Any thoughts of this from other frequent travelleres ?  I can change this, so any good tips....