Rhapsody of the Seas Owners Suite 8001 (Front) versus Spacious Balcony Room (Mid Ship 7048)

Hello All,

We have never done a cruise before and we have a question.

We are booked on Rhapsody of the seas this Nov 30 2021 (Barcelona to Tampa) Transatlantic. We are 2 adults and 2 kids 4 and 2 year old. My wife and 4 year old get motion sickness all the time even in the car. We booked a Spacious Balcony Room in the mid ship (7048) but wanted a bigger room (1 or 2 Bedroom Grand Suite, so far none is available at all let alone a suite that could be in mid ship location).

We also have been presented with an opportunity to book instead the Owners Suite (8001 cabin) which has lot more room but we are worried that since it is in front, there will more motion and we might have motion sickness.

The question to all who are reading this is whether somebody has been on this ship and whether there is really appreciable motion difference between front and middle of this ship (8001 versus 7048 cabin)? One one hand, our mid ship balcony room is small but we may not feel as much motion; on the other hand the owners suite is spacious and kids will love it but if they start to have motion sickness all the journey, this will ruin the 14 day trip!

Any feedback would be highly appreciate! Thanks in advance!!!

Welcome to the boards!  Sounds like an awesome first cruise!  I unfortunately am not able to provide you with advice about this except to say I would opt for the larger room.  I have never stayed in a forward room so can’t comment on the movement.

rest assured there will be plenty of responses to help you make your decision!   Have an awesome cruise!

Welcome to the boards!

First and foremost, ocean conditions will greatly impact how much you feel anything. No one can predict the weather for your sailing, and more often than not, the ocean is pretty calm. 

Having stayed in a room all the way in the front, I found the sensation of movement was more noticeable than in other areas, but I think we all perceive motion a little differently from each other.

As someone with kids, it is really hard to pass up a large room with ample space on a cruise ship.

I would strongly advise anyone who thinks they are prone to motion sickness, to stay away from booking the very front of the ship...we always book front and brought our daughter (38), who is prone to motion sickness. Was very difficult for her and she was wearing a patch and taking a prescription fro her doctor. Just speaking from past experience. Have done over 100 cruises, normally book front and always find that area of ship to definitely have a feel of greater motion. good luck with your decision. 

Edited by luvstodans
missing word

14 minutes ago, luvstodans said:

I would strongly advise anyone who thinks they are prone to motion sickness, to stay away from booking the very front of the ship...we always book front and brought our daughter (38), who is prone to motion sickness. Was very difficult for her and she was wearing a patch and taking a prescription fro her doctor. Just speaking from past experience. Have done over 100 cruises, normally book front and always find that area of ship to definitely have a feel of greater motion. good luck with your decision. 

Thank you so much for your reply and feedback! It helps a lot!

Warm regards

we were all the way up front on Freedom of the seas , on deck 12 , cabin was amazing , view was amazing , first time in my life I was sea sick , and I grew up on a island 30 miles out to sea, been on the water all my life ,  I didn't even know what it was until I was hanging over the rail ? I got some meds from service desk , crackers from the buffet , and wrist bands from the shop , was fine the rest of the trip.  So if you know going in that it's an issue , be prepared and enjoy the bigger cabin and all the perks that come with a suite !