Medical exemption for vaccine

My husband has had adverse reactions to vaccinations in the past. He’s a veteran so he’s been poked with every kind of vaccine possible. He actually ended up with GBS as a result and almost died from it. Our family doctor said 100% DO NOT get the vaccine as she would for any vaccines for home. I sent RC an email on it but I’m wondering if anyone has had this situation and what you were told as far as cruising. We’ve put a deposit down for Feb 2022 but before we start booking things want to ensure he can even cruise.

First, get written notification from your spouse's doctor, with clear indications that this is a real-deal medical issue.

Second, this is why we need everyone else to get vaccinated - to cover those who absolutely in need of coverage. Our vaccinated response to this is "Sure. Real problem? We got you covered".

33 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

This is not an official website for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. Mr. B is speaking from his experience with Royal in the  past. You will need to contact Royal for their answer/response. Best of luck!

Oh yes I have already reached out but haven’t received a response yet. ?

1 hour ago, MrB said:

First, get written notification from your spouse's doctor, with clear indications that this is a real-deal medical issue.

Second, this is why we need everyone else to get vaccinated - to cover those who absolutely in need of coverage. Our vaccinated response to this is "Sure. Real problem? We got you covered".

Isn’t that the truth - I just hope he can still cruise!! We love cruising. I’m concerned about the inconsistencies sometimes with these bigger companies as in someone saying yes it’s fine then getting across North America and told no it isn’t..

1 hour ago, DoodleMom said:

Oh yes I have already reached out but haven’t received a response yet. ?

Good luck on getting a timely response, I did a online request for them to send an invoice, took over 10 days to process.

I think the limited staff is a little overworked right now.

Royal Caribbean has published information that people who are unable to get a COVID-19 for medical or religious reasons should start by contacting the Access Department (aka Special Needs) at (866) 592-7225 or send an email to special_needs@rccl.com no later than 30 days prior to the date your cruise departs.

If I am not vaccinated for a disability or other reasons, who should I contact? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

I know there is a lot up in the air but the lines, not just RCL, seem to have problems with consistency to some key questions like:

When are you planning to sail your first US revenue cruise and from what US port? PS: I  know things remain fluid but what is your plan as in plan A, B C?

For RCL: I understand you will not be requiring proof of vaccination to sail, right?  I see you are going to have a mix of vaxed and non-vaxed passengers on US port originating sailings. What will be your protocols for masking and distancing, inside and outside your ships?

For Celebrity: I understand you will require proof of vaccination to sail on your initially announced sailings from St. Maartin, Athens and Fort Lauderdale. What will be your protocols for masking and distancing, inside and outside your ships?

These aren't hard questions nor should they have not been pretty much locked down at this point with it appearing that RCG ships will sail from both foreign and US ports in June/July.

Count me among avid cruisers who find teaser press releases and videos annoying. Get you S### together ..... please. 

2 hours ago, dswallow said:

Royal Caribbean has published information that people who are unable to get a COVID-19 for medical or religious reasons should start by contacting the Access Department (aka Special Needs) at (866) 592-7225 or send an email to special_needs@rccl.com no later than 30 days prior to the date your cruise departs.

If I am not vaccinated for a disability or other reasons, who should I contact? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Thanks for this! I couldn’t find anything specific to it. 

On 5/28/2021 at 12:39 PM, CruiseGus said:

Good luck on getting a timely response, I did a online request for them to send an invoice, took over 10 days to process.

I think the limited staff is a little overworked right now.

Well we have time - we aren’t booked until February and I’m sure things will change between now and then but I’d like to know for my own peace of mind. 

Thank you for the posting that link.  We’re scheduled on the 2/11 cruise on the Independence.  Unfortunately, my 13 year old had a vaccine reaction last year and won’t be getting the COVID vaccine.  Ironically, I just got a survey from Royal Caribbean which asked some questions about my feelings about cruising, importance of home port, and my vaccine status (I am fully vaccinated), but they never asked about family members.  I guess they assume that if 1 person in a family is vaccinated, everyone eligible will be.

9 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

Thank you for the posting that link.  We’re scheduled on the 2/11 cruise on the Independence.  Unfortunately, my 13 year old had a vaccine reaction last year and won’t be getting the COVID vaccine.  Ironically, I just got a survey from Royal Caribbean which asked some questions about my feelings about cruising, importance of home port, and my vaccine status (I am fully vaccinated), but they never asked about family members.  I guess they assume that if 1 person in a family is vaccinated, everyone eligible will be.

I do hope that whoever is looking out for vaccine issues for you and your son at least do recognize that the mRNA vaccines may not have a parallel to vaccines that have caused previous reactions and will look more closely at trying to identify the reasons for the previous reaction before blanketly avoid any vaccination. The same issues experienced before may simply not apply here.

10 minutes ago, dswallow said:

I do hope that whoever is looking out for vaccine issues for you and your son at least do recognize that the mRNA vaccines may not have a parallel to vaccines that have caused previous reactions and will look more closely at trying to identify the reasons for the previous reaction before blanketly avoid any vaccination. The same issues experienced before may simply not apply here.

A friend's son has had reactions to vaccines in the past, but after consulting with his pediatrician, it was advised to get the covid vaccine for that reason.

13 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Thank you.  We haven’t yet discussed this with my son’s pediatrician but my husband is a physician and, with cases coming down, doesn’t see the point of taking the risk of the COVID vaccine given the nature of the reaction.  With everything changing daily, I’m not going to start worrying about it until December.  Besides, I have a fully refundable suite booked at Universal for the same days as the cruise just in case.  ?

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
11 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

They are no longer doing vaccine exceptions. They are allowing the unvaxxed to sail at a certain threshold, it is your best bet to call and see if the cruise you want to sail has space.

Technically, this isn't true.

Officially, Royal Caribbean hasn't changed their policy. At least as of today. Just want to be crystal clear on it where things are right at this moment.