Park Cafe for Port Day?

Has anyone ever tried bringing the park cafe sandwiches off the ship for a port day? I think they would make a great meal/snack if we were to go on a shore excursion far from port. Are there any regulations that prohibit bringing stuff like this off the ship and would it really matter if you just snuck it in a bag?

24 minutes ago, jack_c4321 said:

Has anyone ever tried bringing the park cafe sandwiches off the ship for a port day? I think they would make a great meal/snack if we were to go on a shore excursion far from port. Are there any regulations that prohibit bringing stuff like this off the ship and would it really matter if you just snuck it in a bag?

in my opinion it's not worth the risk to bring anything off the sip, except for the water/drinks that Royal sells as you are getting off the gangway (beverage packages accepted!).  I totally understand as to why you would want to, but i just don't want the anxiety of "sneaking" through security or finding out that an ingredient in the sandwich is banned by the local authorities.

23 minutes ago, FManke said:

Bringing food off of the ship is a big no-no. Some ports even employ dogs to sniff out "food smugglers." 

In Cozumel there are dogs at the end of the pier sniffing for food and there are baskets full of various ship foods they've confiscated. Mostly bananas...

58 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

I totally understand as to why you would want to, but i just don't want the anxiety of "sneaking" through security or finding out that an ingredient in the sandwich is banned by the local authorities.

You bring up a good point that it's usually local laws and has nothing to do with RCG per se, except they are doing their part in enforcing local laws and regulations.

7 minutes ago, FManke said:

Maybe you've gotten lucky I guess.

Well we don't do it in Cozumel.  My wife is gluten free, so any time we go on some excursion where food is being served she always makes herself a sandwich from the Windjammer just in case there's nothing she can eat while ashore.

We always bring packaged protein or meal bar off of the ship in case we get stuck somewhere without food (nobody wants to see me hangry). Don't try to bring a cup of coffee off of the ship.  Doesn't matter how full or hot it is - you'll have to throw it out or drink it fast before they'll let you off (happened in Alaska).

Other than the above issues, you may also find it hard to get Park Cafe on a port day. We were so excited to go back there after an excursion and found it closed for lunch that day. As good as those sandwiches are, I’m not sure they’d make it to the next day!

Surprised to see coffee is an issue. We typically walk off the ship with a cup each every port day and have never been told to finish or get rid of it. Guess it’s no different than coming back on the ship with shells the kids have collected. Sometimes they don’t care and other times they confiscate them. All depends on the port, ship, and who you get!