Celebrity Cruises Will Resume Cruises From Florida in June

7 hours ago, blaue said:

RCCL will not be operating under the 95% CSO guidelines, only Celebrity will.  RCCL mgt. want families with kids under 12 y/o that can't be vaxxed to sail.  All adults will be mandated to be vaxxed.  This is extremely dumb on Fain and Co. to go this route instead of telling people that kids under 12 need to wait or limit kids to 5% of passengers. So because of this,  all vaxxed adults will have to suffer with masks, limited capacity at onboard venues, social distancing and no self serve buffets. I was told by RCCL to go with Celebrity if you want no masks or social distancing.  Bad move on their part. 

We don't know what the final health protocols will be we all have to wait and see what happens. But I don't fault Royal Caribbean for taking this approach.  If Royal were to turn away families with children under 12 Carnival would love to snap them up.  I have no children, neither my husband or I want children but I can understand why Royal can Carnival are taking the approach they are taking because it is no ones fault that for right now the vaccines are not available to children under 12. Just like you and I are eager to get back out there on the high seas so are families with children under 12.  I think NCL is making a huge mistake by telling families with children under 12 years of age they temporarily can't cruise and I think it will drive families over to Carnival and/or Royal Caribbean.  With Royal requiring everyone over the age of 12 be fully vaccinated I think 90%-94% of all passengers onboard will be vaccinated and with the CDC constantly changing the rules who knows what the mask situation will be onboard or what capacity limits will be at venues. 

Even though I don't have children I know people and have family members who have children who love to cruise.  What I don't want to see happen is for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines to turn into min version of Virgin Voyages.

On 5/27/2021 at 12:52 AM, johnt83 said:

I am disappointed that Royal Caribbean didn't go the vaccinated route. Forget the test cruises, I don't want to be on a cruise with people who aren't vaccinated, because the reason they probably didn't get vaccinated is NOT because of health reasons or religion or whatever. They are just anti-vaxxers and have all these dumb theories about the vaccine. Plus the risk is higher of an outbreak if you mix vax'd and unvax'd... it may backfire for Royal Caribbean and they may regret not going the vaccinated route. We will see. Luckily my next cruise isn't until November so hopefully things are better by then in terms of all this craziness.

My first RC cruise is December 5th. I hope this is all over by then. I need to get away! Someone give me positive vibes here. Is there a chance this won't happen??

2 hours ago, JeffB said:

No. Cruising is back! Here are the details:

So Jeff you believe that the CDC will prevail in creating a law from a bureaucratic system and not from a congressional perspective. This seems unconstitutional to me. This "law" can be extended indefinitely I am assuming so this could become the "law of the land" so to speak.

"

12 minutes ago, cruisinghawg said:

So Jeff you believe that the CDC will prevail in creating a law from a bureaucratic system and not from a congressional perspective. This seems unconstitutional to me. This "law" can be extended indefinitely I am assuming so this could become the "law of the land" so to speak.

"

There's a lot to unpack here. First, I'm not a lawyer versed in applicable maritime, state and local or constitutional law. I have friends who are. As well, I find the law interesting so, I read a lot to try and understand it. 

Second, my reading has led me to conclude that what the CDC has done in issuing the NSO and then the CSO was legal, given existing law as I interpret it and my understanding of the PHE. I could be entirely wrong. That is because here are so many applicable precendential court outcomes, so much applicable law bearing on what exact authority the CDC actually has that it is very difficult to sort out. The laws are complex and overlapping. Questions of state v. federal authority are present and complicated. Lawyers are trained in law school how to sort it out. It's not easy.

If mediation fails and this goes back to Merryday, it's going to be a tough call for him. But Federal judges are appointed because they are good at sticking to the law, not getting tied up in knots over often highly emotional aspects of a case they are hearing.  Since I think the law favors the government (CDC/HHS) in this particular case, even though the impact of the NSO was harmful on many levels, the CDC acted within it's authority.  Even though the CSO is overly burdensome and potentially discriminatory, the CDC acted within it's authority. Therefore, the government will prevail.

I believe that Congress recognizes that the law, as it currently stands in this matter, gives too much authority to HHS/CDC to make policy during a public health emergency - this authority should properly rest with Congress. That's water under the bridge. I think in the aftermath of the pandemic, it will change. I'm almost sure that it will and new provisions in the law for appropriate oversight and limitations to what the HHS/CDC can do in a future PHE will emerge

6 hours ago, Jennifer Burke said:

My first RC cruise is December 5th. I hope this is all over by then. I need to get away! Someone give me positive vibes here. Is there a chance this won't happen??

I'll try to give positive vibes!

December is more than a month after the CSO is scheduled to expire.  That means there's a very good chance that your ship will sail as scheduled regardless of how the Florida lawsuit, or test sailings, play out.

That said, it's never guaranteed that any given sailing will go according to plan or even happen. I've got a cruise out of Puerto Rico scheduled for Thanksgiving.  We'll just have to roll with the punches.