Hotel advice in Honolulu

steverk

Ok, so this one isn't really a Royal Caribbean question, but I figure someone will have a great answer.

I'm taking my family (My wife and I plus 4 adult children) to Hawaii for a cruise in March 2022.  I figure on flying in the day before and grabbing a hotel in Honolulu.  Since we won't be staying in Honolulu very long and we'll be pretty beat up from travelling, I'm looking for something cheap, but safe and clean.  It doesn't have to be near the beach.

The Ramada Plaza by Wyndham Waikiki looks good on paper.  Low cost by Hawaii standards. ($169 per room)  Decent reviews on Tripadvisor. Across the street from the Ilikai Hotel, so probably a decent neighborhood.  

Has anyone stayed there? Does anyone have a hotel to recommend?

I have stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village across the street from the Illikai and the neighborhood is definitely nice enough and fine for your purposes. Keep in mind you'll be a 20 min walk from the hubbub/restaurants/shops of Waikiki so expect an Uber or a luxurious stroll to and from dinner. 

We like to be close to the beach and restaurants so we have stayed at the Sheraton, Hilton and Outrigger. Of the three we prefer the Outrigger as Dukes restaurant is a great place within the hotel, nice pool and walking distance to many shops, Cheesecake Factory, etc; as well the buses stop just outside so easy to get around. Sheraton is more expensive but disliked the adults pool as it was only knee high; we swam in the kids pool which had a slides, which are fun.