xSAILEDx Ovation of the Seas - Aug 27th 2021

23 minutes ago, MicDay said:

@Cruising With JTcan I say I'm so jealousy almost B2B to Alaska!

Thank you for posting the entertainment

Did anyone book the North Star for the two Sea days, thought about it but waited too long.  All the good times are gone.

Thank you @MicDay! I can't wait to board this Friday and then again 2 weeks after that. Keep a lookout for my social media posts if you follow any of them! Fingers crossed internet works okay up there.

I chose not to book the North Star since I have done it already but if they offer any complimentary rides I will definitely be doing it!

1 hour ago, Cappy said:

Question. I've read that you can bring soda or water on Royal ships at embarkation.  Can someone please confirm?  Thx. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted. 

19 hours ago, Cappy said:

Question. How do you add your "photo" to the Royal app?  I used to see this but cannot now. Is it because I am already checked in or am I looking in the wrong place?  Thanks. 

Never mind. Found it!

Currently on Ovation and he's a few tips for your cruise. 

1) If you are using Lyft or Uber you'll be dropped off at a drop off area away from the terminal. You'll need to ride the shuttle to the terminal, it's free but we tipped the drive $5. Catch the same shuttle back to get the Lyft or Uber.

2) Have your Covid-19 test results out first they prescreen these. When you make it to security they want EVERYTHING in your bag or purse. That means empty your pockets, remove watches, jewelry etc. Anything that can set off the metal detector. They don't have the small trays for you to put coins, keys etc in. 

3) Ripcord by ifly and North Star are not working this season. My guess they don't have people to operate these venues. The North Star was available for purchase in my cruise planner if you bought this you'll be refunded. 

4) Unless you're in Star class, Sky class or Pinnacle member, be VERY flexible with your reservations. We tried to book shows and restaurants which you do through the app now. Most of the times we wanted were taken and it was only 1:00 pm. Guess Services was a ghost town on day one! The app is key to everything or calling. Seems they really want to keep people from gathering over there. 

5) Except to use the sanitizing dispenser every time you enter any drinking or eating establishment. Every drinking and dining venue has many of the tables blocked off for social distancing. 

Hope that helps you folks. Now back to vacation!!

10 hours ago, 12thman said:

Currently on Ovation and he's a few tips for your cruise. 

1) If you are using Lyft or Uber you'll be dropped off at a drop off area away from the terminal. You'll need to ride the shuttle to the terminal, it's free but we tipped the drive $5. Catch the same shuttle back to get the Lyft or Uber.

2) Have your Covid-19 test results out first they prescreen these. When you make it to security they want EVERYTHING in your bag or purse. That means empty your pockets, remove watches, jewelry etc. Anything that can set off the metal detector. They don't have the small trays for you to put coins, keys etc in. 

3) Ripcord by ifly and North Star are not working this season. My guess they don't have people to operate these venues. The North Star was available for purchase in my cruise planner if you bought this you'll be refunded. 

4) Unless you're in Star class, Sky class or Pinnacle member, be VERY flexible with your reservations. We tried to book shows and restaurants which you do through the app now. Most of the times we wanted were taken and it was only 1:00 pm. Guess Services was a ghost town on day one! The app is key to everything or calling. Seems they really want to keep people from gathering over there. 

5) Except to use the sanitizing dispenser every time you enter any drinking or eating establishment. Every drinking and dining venue has many of the tables blocked off for social distancing. 

Hope that helps you folks. Now back to vacation!!

Thanks. I made dinner reservations a month ago. Shows cannot be booked until on the ship (I assume) because they are not on the app. You would think that with 50% capacity or less this would not be an issue. Bummer about North Star and iFly. These are attractions that made me want to book RCCL. Will just have to make the best of it and thank goodness it will be beautiful scenery!

Just got back from the first sailing on 8/13 and it was a blast! Happy to answer any questions, I posted a ton of content and experiences on my Instagram and Facebook channels, and will be posting videos on YouTube in the near future.

North Star isn't working due to a broken part so they are going to try and fix it in the coming weeks, although I also heard it may be due to the safe restart to cruising and it may not operate at all this season. iFly isn't working due to either short staffing or safe protocols. I am likely to believe the former. The wind is blowing in that tunnel at an insane speed so not sure how you would catch Covid there lol.

Overall it was a fun week -- food and entertainment was awesome, and I can't wait to get back on 8/27. If you see me say hello, I will be wearing "Cruising With JT" tshirts from time to time thanks to @CruisingKat(Kathy) at Kat's Custom Embroidery LLC. Thank you for making them for me! Looking forward to meeting you on the 8/27 cruise!! ? 

4 hours ago, Cappy said:

Thanks. I made dinner reservations a month ago. Shows cannot be booked until on the ship (I assume) because they are not on the app. You would think that with 50% capacity or less this would not be an issue. Bummer about North Star and iFly. These are attractions that made me want to book RCCL. Will just have to make the best of it and thank goodness it will be beautiful scenery!

@Cappyare you in Star/Sky class to be able to make your dinner reservations already?  We are in a Jr Suite with the UDP so we only have the first night booked (time).  It's making me question keeping the UDP, not sure I want to eat an odd times that are left.  If I just do the dining at MDR I can book every night.  I really enjoyed the Specialty dining but with limited capacity maybe the MDR will be a lot less hectic and quiet?

@Cruising With JTwhere did you eat dinner?  

5 hours ago, MicDay said:

@Cappyare you in Star/Sky class to be able to make your dinner reservations already?  We are in a Jr Suite with the UDP so we only have the first night booked (time).  It's making me question keeping the UDP, not sure I want to eat an odd times that are left.  If I just do the dining at MDR I can book every night.  I really enjoyed the Specialty dining but with limited capacity maybe the MDR will be a lot less hectic and quiet?

I am not any class. Basically first Royal cruise. Booked MDR most nights (My Time Dining).   Only specialty dining is Chops for lunch and had no problem with booking (although I don't have a dining package so maybe that's the difference). I assume that MDR will be much quieter. Good luck with your UDP. 

7 hours ago, MicDay said:

We had GTY ended up with junior suite accessible so it's actually a Grand Suite in size. Only the bathroom is different. We have the UDP as well, we had to book our first night restaurant. Thought they would assign us but didn't. We've had dinner at Wonderland and Jamie's so far. Windjammer was difficult to find open seating at 10:30 AM they blocked off so many tables. There's one way in and one way out. We weren't able to book CK for dinner any night when checking when we first arrived. 

7 hours ago, MicDay said:

Good Question @Fairlynew!

@Cruising With JT so many questions, loved your stateroom review on youtube.  I'm not on facebook or instagram or I'd follow you there too.

Did you end up stating on the ship like you original planned?

How was it trying to eat, any issues with the limited tables?

Thanks for watching the video of the stateroom tour on YouTube! I am uploading my full ship tour as I type this so check that out later when you get a chance!

I stayed on the ship 99.9% of the time, the 0.1% I got off was for 10 minutes at Juneau, Alaska to take pics and videos of the ship. I had to stay on since the ship was my main destination given I have been to Alaska before. It really was nice, I can't tell you how awesome it is to have an entire ship pretty much to yourself. I had 2 hot tubs in the Solarium by myself so I went in and out of them every few minutes, I know I am silly. Staying onboard was awesome! That being said, I might, maybe, get off the ship in Sitka and try one of the excursions during our 8/27 cruise. I heard the "Best of Sitka" tour was very nice.

Eating was super easy and effiicent. Getting a table at the Windjammer buffet was sometimes challenging but I just went to the back on Deck 14 since it had better views anyway plus less crowded. In the MDR, being solo it only took 1-1.5 hours really. No issues finding the table I wanted in the MDR. I ate at the American Icon Grill on Deck 4 since it is one of the vaccinated dining rooms. Deck 3 has the unvaccinated dining rooms (families with kids under 12 who aren't vaccinated). Hope that helps!

Sharing some other information that I posted on CruiseCritic for your info -

Check-in was super easy. When you enter the terminal you basically show them your passport, vaccination card and then they ask you a few questions to make sure you're feeling good. Then they give you a "Royal comback" wristband which proves you're vaccinated. Once you get to the actual check-in they give you your tracelet which you also wear.

No real lines for anything from I recall except maybe a minute or two to get into the Royal Theater for their main show "The Beautiful Dream" but it was nothing that crazy. I recommend going to the later showing if possible for all shows since it's usually less crowded. Something about being in an indoor space with others, even while we're vaccinated, makes me feel uneasy, so I wore my mask at those events as well even though majority didn't. I just wanted to be extra safe and not bring anything back to my family. 

I was solo so I didn't really try to sit with other parties during dinner, however on 3 nights I did sit about 3 feet apart from other travelers. Not sure why they would care to have you sit with others if they are putting me 3 feet apart from people I do not know. We had good conversation, but other nights I went early and requested to sit alone/solo with a view at my favorite window table. I basically Facetimed with my family during dinner, Internet worked really good surprisingly, hence all my posts etc on Instagram and FB ? 

3 hours ago, Cruising With JT said:

Check-in was super easy. When you enter the terminal you basically show them your passport, vaccination card and then they ask you a few questions to make sure you're feeling good. Then they give you a "Royal comback" wristband which proves you're vaccinated. Once you get to the actual check-in they give you your tracelet which you also wear.

No real lines for anything from I recall except maybe a minute or two to get into the Royal Theater for their main show "The Beautiful Dream" but it was nothing that crazy. I recommend going to the later showing if possible for all shows since it's usually less crowded. Something about being in an indoor space with others, even while we're vaccinated, makes me feel uneasy, so I wore my mask at those events as well even though majority didn't. I just wanted to be extra safe and not bring anything back to my family. 

I was solo so I didn't really try to sit with other parties during dinner, however on 3 nights I did sit about 3 feet apart from other travelers. Not sure why they would care to have you sit with others if they are putting me 3 feet apart from people I do not know. We had good conversation, but other nights I went early and requested to sit alone/solo with a view at my favorite window table. I basically Facetimed with my family during dinner, Internet worked really good surprisingly, hence all my posts etc on Instagram and FB ? 

Thanks so much for all the information. I am not as worried about dining because they require negative COVID test (even though I guess I can get it on the flight to Seattle!). Hope to see the rest of your YouTube vlogs  (loved the cabin tour) and I hope to see you on the ship (if I do - drinks on me!). 

3 hours ago, Cruising With JT said:

We are new to the blog, but not to cruising. Hope to see you on the Ovation next week. Thanks for all the info. Can't wait to get back on the water.

John,

Did they announce the positive cases of Covid on August 13th Alaska cruise?  I noticed on the CDC website that Ovation changed from GREEN to YELLOW, which usually means crew or passenger tested positive?  

Just curious.............doesn't change our plans for this coming Friday.  We can't wait to cruise!!

Ovation of the Seas Restricted Yellow CDC has started an investigation.

16 hours ago, Cappy said:

Thanks so much for all the information. I am not as worried about dining because they require negative COVID test (even though I guess I can get it on the flight to Seattle!). Hope to see the rest of your YouTube vlogs  (loved the cabin tour) and I hope to see you on the ship (if I do - drinks on me!). 

You're very welcome and I am glad you enjoyed the tours on my YouTube channel! I've just done 3 so far, room tour, ship tour and windjammer tour (felt like that one needed its own video vs being in a ship tour somewhere). I have so much footage sometimes it's easy to forget stuff haha. More videos to come!

I look forward to the possibility of meeting you! I will be wearing fun cruise-related tshirts throughout the trip and also my "Cruising With JT" shirts on embarkation day, it will be bright green. If you see me say hello! Thank you ?

• AshleyDillo changed the title to xSAILEDx Ovation of the Seas - Aug 27th 2021