xSAILEDx Ovation of the Seas - Aug 27th 2021

3 hours ago, MicDay said:

@Vancity Cruiser finally was able to get into my CP for my May 2022 Alaska cruise

On that cruise there are 128 different excursions

On this sailing there are 61 different excursions 

I think the limited options are due to the cruising restart + lower capacity + various changes made to port arrival/departure times. Basically expect the unexpected if you're cruising in 2021. Things won't truly be back to "normal" until sometime in 2022, could be summer 2022 for all we know! Just happy cruising is back, can't wait get back onboard!

Hello all, I am relatively new to Royal (one other cruise) and have been reading this thread.  I too am disappointed about the mask mandate since this is an all-vaccinated cruise (although with the Delta variant?!).  I was also thinking of cancelling but Alaska needs our support.  We are flying in from the East on the 26th and then spending an extra day in Seattle after.  We were in Alaska in 2014 so plan to do some different excursions this time.  Looking forward to our first "real" vacation since COVID.

21 hours ago, Cappy said:

Hello all, I am relatively new to Royal (one other cruise) and have been reading this thread.  I too am disappointed about the mask mandate since this is an all-vaccinated cruise (although with the Delta variant?!).  I was also thinking of cancelling but Alaska needs our support.  We are flying in from the East on the 26th and then spending an extra day in Seattle after.  We were in Alaska in 2014 so plan to do some different excursions this time.  Looking forward to our first "real" vacation since COVID.

The Delta variant and whatever variants in the future are not going away. It is up to humanity to learn to live with these viruses, we can't let it continue controlling the rest of our lives. Yes, be careful and cautious but enjoy the experience.

5 hours ago, MicDay said:

Ok fellow cruisers who has started packing??

I just pulled out my Cruise bag, duster her off and checking to see what has expired since its been three millions years since we have cruised!!

32 days but who's counting...................................

Haha nice! Haven't started packing yet, I usually start packing most non-wearable items a few days before and clothes the day before (gotta have fresh laundry!).

Trying to keep a good attitude but two excursions booked through the cruise line, and two excursions cancelled. One was because the time changed (not sure why they just didn't move me to the new time since the excursion is still bookable), the other I do not know why.  I called RCCL excursions and they were not helpful at all (giving them the benefit of doubt since I assume everyone is new).

Any information on excursions NOT through the cruise line would be very much appreciated (I am hesitant to book anything through RCCL now since refund is taking 30+ days - RCCL owes me over $1k (a lot of money) and I am not sure when I will get it).

Thanks.

@Cappy

I used Alaska Shore Excursions for our Juneau excursions, we are doing the 

Juneau Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier Tour

Had one with RC but they cancelled it when they cut out time in port.

The other two are thru RC:

White Pass Scenic Railway
SKAGWAY, ALASKA
Sea Otters, Raptors And Bears Oh My
SITKA, ALASKA
DURATION: 5 HOURS

4 hours ago, MicDay said:

@Cappy

I used Alaska Shore Excursions for our Juneau excursions, we are doing the 

Had one with RC but they cancelled it when they cut out time in port.

The other two are thru RC:

White Pass Scenic Railway
SKAGWAY, ALASKA
Sea Otters, Raptors And Bears Oh My
SITKA, ALASKA
DURATION: 5 HOURS

You will enjoy Mendenhall Glacier and White pass scenic railway for sure! I have never done the whale watching or sea otters/raptors.

Thanks for all of the excursion advice.  Going to take a look at Alaska Shore Excursions tonight.  The problem is that we've been to these ports before so I am trying to find something different.  No matter what it will be a great time (and since I am coming from the east coast where it's been like 90+ every day for over a month I am looking forward to the cooler weather).

13 minutes ago, MicDay said:

We are trying to decide what to do.

Do we get tested here in NC or wait until we get to Seattle.

We fly into Seattle at 7:30pm on 8/25/21 (that's if Delta does not change our flights, changed twice)

Guess we start in NC and if there is a need test in Seattle?

I am hoping Royal Caribbean offers guidance on this. We still have a few weeks to sort this out, luckily. I am planning on getting tested on Wednesday the 25th, going the antigen test route for quick results and don't want Q-tip shoved up to my brain.

I honestly think there may be a huge backlash from Royal's vaccinated customers about this and maybe Royal might change a few things. They should just do the testing at the terminal on the day of sailing, so much can happen in between 3 days prior to sailing and the day of sailing. Heck, make it less stressful for your guests! No other cruise line is putting their guests through this kind of experience. Last minute changes, protocols etc. Come on Royal.

2 hours ago, Fairlynew said:

I am really not thrilled about the vaccine requirement.  I was already unhappy with the indoor mask requirement.  Not sure of what to do.  

I am not thrilled either and quite honestly very disappointed.  This is our first real RCCL cruise (I did a mini-cruise to Bahamas with my sister over 5 years ago and it was not a good experience) and I chose RCCL because of the ports (didn't want to go to Ketchikan) even though they were more expensive than other lines.  I also agree with JT about vaccinated customers and really didn't know why they still have a mask mandate while no other line is doing it on a FULLY VACCINATED cruise.  I am flying in from the East coast and need to find some place that will do the test before we leave as well (and get results back in time).  We both work full-time and now have to figure out how to get tested in advance and get results (very stressful) on top of driving 2 hours to the airport and then flying 6 hours to Seattle.  Heck I have more of a chance of getting COVID in the airport or on a plane and think they should do testing at the terminal.  I wonder why they aren't requiring testing for vaccinated travelers on the cruises out of Florida (which are not vaccine required).  The ONLY reason I got vaccinated is because I knew it would be required to travel and thought by doing this cruise, and thereby staying in the U.S. the entire time, it would be different than if we had chosen to do an international cruise.  Also, what if the test comes back positive (I guess insurance kicks in but need to check with my TA on that)? I guess we just wait and see what happens and make a decision closer to sail date.  Thanks.

51 minutes ago, Cappy said:

really didn't know why they still have a mask mandate while no other line is doing it on a FULLY VACCINATED cruise. 

I wonder why they aren't requiring testing for vaccinated travelers on the cruises out of Florida (which are not vaccine required). 

Royal took the stance that they are a family cruise line, so they won't be fully vaccinated as they are still allowing children under the eligible vaccination age to sail.  This means they have to go with the mixed-passenger mask recommendations because they aren't guaranteeing they will be at 95% vaccinated like the other lines are.

The testing requirement is brand new as of yesterday and IS being required of Florida cruises regardless of vaccination status.  They feel this is another step to making sure they keep as many cases off the ship as they possibly can. 

It's frustrating as heck for everything to be so in flux, but that's going to be the reality of cruising for likely the rest of the year. 

Not that I plan to watch a lot of shows, not with Alaska landscape all around me but is it a bit weird you can't book or even look at the entertainment for our sailing?

Also as a FYI, you can book the main dining room for lunch on embarkment day.  It's under dining in our CP.  

40 minutes ago, MicDay said:

Not that I plan to watch a lot of shows, not with Alaska landscape all around me but is it a bit weird you can't book or even look at the entertainment for our sailing?

Also as a FYI, you can book the main dining room for lunch on embarkment day.  It's under dining in our CP.  

I saw that! Although I am definitely doing Windjammer for breakfast and lunch since it will be closed for Dinner, which is when I will go to the MDR or other quick places to eat... I might only do MDR a few nights since I am going solo (don't really want to be eating solo for 1-2 hours lol). 

It is interesting that entertainment options are not open yet, although I think it is getting closer. Check in opened, then eDocs came, and now Entertainment I would think will come, OR they may just ask you to reserve when you get onboard via the app which is fine. Last time we went in 2019, we only booked "Pixels" their awesome cinematography show on Cruise planner, everything else was wide open if I recall. Can't even remember their main theater show which we may have reserved or walked in. We will know more in the coming weeks.

Also if you guys are not on the FB group for Ovation August 27th sailing you should join, it's got a lot more updates and conversation regarding this sailing, testing, etc etc.

1 hour ago, Cruising With JT said:

I saw that! Although I am definitely doing Windjammer for breakfast and lunch since it will be closed for Dinner, which is when I will go to the MDR or other quick places to eat... I might only do MDR a few nights since I am going solo (don't really want to be eating solo for 1-2 hours lol). 

It is interesting that entertainment options are not open yet, although I think it is getting closer. Check in opened, then eDocs came, and now Entertainment I would think will come, OR they may just ask you to reserve when you get onboard via the app which is fine. Last time we went in 2019, we only booked "Pixels" their awesome cinematography show on Cruise planner, everything else was wide open if I recall. Can't even remember their main theater show which we may have reserved or walked in. We will know more in the coming weeks.

Also if you guys are not on the FB group for Ovation August 27th sailing you should join, it's got a lot more updates and conversation regarding this sailing, testing, etc etc.

John,

We have the UDP but I'm really questioning it.  We loved eating at the Specialty restaurants but they were on a Caribbean cruise were I did not mind the time it took.  My husband who typically does not have an opinion wants to keep it.  I'm not a fan of the Windjammer it has always been so crazy but if we are still at limited capacity maybe I'll give it a go.

That works for me too if we can't book the shows or could just walk in.  

My facebook got hacked and I just did not bother fixing it, just shut it down.  Maybe I need to look into getting back on.  Just tried and failed

2 hours ago, MicDay said:

John,

We have the UDP but I'm really questioning it.  We loved eating at the Specialty restaurants but they were on a Caribbean cruise were I did not mind the time it took.  My husband who typically does not have an opinion wants to keep it.  I'm not a fan of the Windjammer it has always been so crazy but if we are still at limited capacity maybe I'll give it a go.

That works for me too if we can't book the shows or could just walk in.  

My facebook got hacked and I just did not bother fixing it, just shut it down.  Maybe I need to look into getting back on.  Just tried and failed

I think eating at specialty restaurants with your husband sounds like a great idea, if you got a great deal definitely keep it. I am guessing you will be mixing it up with the MDR/main dining room a few nights here and there? Windjammer is closed for dinner so I will need to look for different options. I will probably do MDR on formal nights and other nights just grab something quick from Two70... might even do Pizza a few nights lol...

All good regarding facebook. Hope to meet you onboard. There isn't an official meet and greet but I am planning on being on the pool deck during sailaway at 6pm before heading to dinner. You can't miss me since I will be wearing a "Cruising with JT" tshirt lol, please stop me and say hello! Sorry if I missed your name @MicDay earlier?

• AshleyDillo changed the title to xSAILEDx Ovation of the Seas - Aug 27th 2021