Lift and shift | What happens when the ship is no longer in the same port a year later?

Hi all,

We have a cruise out of Port Canaveral on the Allure in September 2021. If (and this is only 'if'). We're starting to approach toe 90 day payment mark so we're thinking seriously at what we should do. 

If we pay in full and Royal Caribbean cancels our cruise, I've noticed that "Lift and Shift" is a common option to take. It seems, however, that the Allure will be in Europe in September 2022, making me think that lift and shift might not be an option. 

Anyone have this before? Any advice or guidance in this case?

Thanks,

Kirsten

11 minutes ago, KirstenCapeTown said:

Hi all,

We have a cruise out of Port Canaveral on the Allure in September 2021. If (and this is only 'if'). We're starting to approach toe 90 day payment mark so we're thinking seriously at what we should do. 

If we pay in full and Royal Caribbean cancels our cruise, I've noticed that "Lift and Shift" is a common option to take. It seems, however, that the Allure will be in Europe in September 2022, making me think that lift and shift might not be an option. 

Anyone have this before? Any advice or guidance in this case?

Thanks,

Kirsten

I was in a similar scenario. I paid my sailing in full because my price was un heard of amazing thanks to @Sharla. I believed that if they did offer Lift & Shift they might just shift me to the Harmony which is there instead of the Allure. Oasis class ship, same itinerary etc. I don't know this to be the case but I wanted to take advantage of the great price and thought they might substitute the ship Oasis to Oasis. I happily paid in full but now they have changed the protocol to board, so I may be requesting a cash refund anyway, waiting for RCI to respond to my email as like it or not I want it in writing, however it get's sorted. This is my take on it, again they may not even offer a Lift & Shift, who knows moving forward, I would pay in full ONLY if the price is crazy amazing otherwise personally I would not. I probably didn't help you, did I? SORRY!!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Lift and Shift isn't option you can take on a whim @KirstenCapeTown.

It was discontinued as an option that a guest could pick from at their leisure.

If Royal Caribbean cancels the cruise before you cancel, then Lift & Shift may be offered.

But if you opted to cancel before the cruise line cancels and you are before final payment, then your choices are:

• Standard cancellation (refundable cruise fare means 100% cash back refund; non-refundable fare means $100 per person cancellation fee)
  • 100% future cruise credit for your deposit amount, regardless of which deposit method you chose.

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Lift and Shift isn't option you can take on a whim @KirstenCapeTown.

It was discontinued as an option that a guest could pick from at their leisure.

If Royal Caribbean cancels the cruise before you cancel, then Lift & Shift may be offered.

But if you opted to cancel before the cruise line cancels and you are before final payment, then your choices are:

• Standard cancellation (refundable cruise fare means 100% cash back refund; non-refundable fare means $100 per person cancellation fee)
  • 100% future cruise credit for your deposit amount, regardless of which deposit method you chose.

Thanks @Matt, thankfully your bad news isn't new news to me, I'm thankfully aware that I can't choose to lift and shift. I'm rather wondering if Royal Caribbean cancels on us and offers 'lift and shift' as an option - with the Allure not in USA in september 2022, I'm wondering if there would be an option to change to another oasis class ship.

Basically I'm purely speculating at this point, trying to lay out possible scenarios to our trip to be as prepared as possible as the time draws near.

34 minutes ago, KirstenCapeTown said:

Thanks @Matt, thankfully your bad news isn't new news to me, I'm thankfully aware that I can't choose to lift and shift. I'm rather wondering if Royal Caribbean cancels on us and offers 'lift and shift' as an option - with the Allure not in USA in september 2022, I'm wondering if there would be an option to change to another oasis class ship.

Basically I'm purely speculating at this point, trying to lay out possible scenarios to our trip to be as prepared as possible as the time draws near.

If there is another Oasis class ship doing the same route I would say there is a good chance. We were booked on Allure (in Europe) last year. We took advantage of the L&S and switched to Harmony for this year, since Harmony is the Oasis class ship that is doing the Western Med route this year. Still not sure if it will go ahead (waiting for news from Royal) but I am pretty certain that if they were to cancel it they would offer L&S again, which would put us back where we started on Allure!

1 hour ago, KirstenCapeTown said:

Glad we're on the same page.

Back to your original inquiry, yes, L&S is one of the best values you will find for the price protection it offers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 11:17 AM, FionaMG said:

If there is another Oasis class ship doing the same route I would say there is a good chance. We were booked on Allure (in Europe) last year. We took advantage of the L&S and switched to Harmony for this year, since Harmony is the Oasis class ship that is doing the Western Med route this year. Still not sure if it will go ahead (waiting for news from Royal) but I am pretty certain that if they were to cancel it they would offer L&S again, which would put us back where we started on Allure!

We were supposed to be on the Explorer in 2020, L&S to Harmony for 2021 & as of yesterday just L&S for Allure for 2022. For what we paid for a Junior Suite & a 7 night Western Mediterranean, I will gladly L&S until we can make this vacation happen. But my god do I really hope that by 2022, I actually get to be back on a cruise ship ?

But to answer your question, the representative didn't care about the ship for the L&S just the itinerary & date. They went through each port so it had to be very similar and plus or minus 2 weeks of the sailing date a year later.