Carnival announces Alaska cruises in 2021

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/05/20/carnival-corporation-announces-it-will-sail-alaska-2021

This is extremely interesting:

Based on recent guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and close collaboration with Alaskan officials, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line and Carnival Cruise Line plan to resume guest cruise operations for a partial season in Alaska

What does Carnival know that we don't?

Thinking about this as I read HAL's announcement.

This squarely puts the CDC in the line of fire.

Up until this point the CDC could claim "some other agency was keeping cruising from happening" - the CDC director declared this in a senate hearing.  

That's excuse has now been removed by Congress.  

The only thing standing in the way is the CDC.  Congress has spoken.  Congress temporarily modified laws to make this happen.  It wasn't political either, there was overwhelming support for it in both the House and the Senate.  

Carnival's swift announcement coming hours after Congress approved the bill sends a clear signal that cruise lines are ready and gladly accept the will of Congress.  

Now the CDC is the only thing keeping it from happening.  That has to have the CDC looking to make a big change very soon.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I saw that NCL re-opened bookings too, but Carnival clearly had this lined up well before today.

It's been said in other threads, but clearly there is an "inside track" to what's going on among the executives.

Yes... I am slowly starting to acknowledge that the cruise execs wouldn’t be so bullish on July claims to restart if they didn’t have some “handshake” arrangements in a deep dark anti-chamber at the CDC HQ. 

And to think Matt, you had me all worried about my July sailing... I kid I kid 

thanks for your steady hand at the wheel here!

9 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

Which ships can Royal quickly reposition, re-crew and fully vaccinate the crew in time for a late July or early August resumption of cruises to Alaska?

Ovation and Radiance are the closest.  They are both listed in the bill so they are eligible.  They are on the other side of the Pacific near Singapore.

Quantum cancelled her Alaska season and intends to continue Singapore sailings so she is unlikely to participate.

Serenade is eligible and she recently started making her way towards CocoCay from Barbados.  She would need to transit the Panama Canal to get to Alaska.    

42 minutes ago, twangster said:

Thinking about this as I read HAL's announcement.

This squarely puts the CDC in the line of fire.

Up until this point the CDC could claim "some other agency was keeping cruising from happening" - the CDC director declared this in a senate hearing.  

That's excuse has now been removed by Congress.  

The only thing standing in the way is the CDC.  Congress has spoken.  Congress temporarily modified laws to make this happen.  It wasn't political either, there was overwhelming support for it in both the House and the Senate.  

Carnival's swift announcement coming hours after Congress approved the bill sends a clear signal that cruise lines are ready and gladly accept the will of Congress.  

Now the CDC is the only thing keeping it from happening.  That has to have the CDC looking to make a big change very soon.

The CDC can still service as  firewall for someone's agenda.    Let the legislative and executive branch approve, but the "scientists" keep it from happening.  Politicians then hide behind the bureaucrats and say, "We did everything we could to save AK jobs, but the scientist don't think its safe..."    Just being cynical.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Technically Serenade is closest by about 5 days but with a costly canal transit.  

Ovation and Radiance are roughly 20 days away.

Serenade around 15 days away.

So basically it may appear as though Carnival has a head start but Royal can quickly catch up and salvage part of their Alaska season with relative ease.  The biggest hurdles if and when cruising resumes would be re-crewing ships and Royal getting their hands on enough vaccine which hopefully won't be a problem.  States from Washington State down to California should have enough supply to share with cruise lines.