Sailings out of Bayonne to begin in August -- supposedly

47 minutes ago, Loops said:

Matt, I have no problem with the rules changing, I have a problem with not effectively communicating the changes, and failing to provide information about the implications, alternatives and remedies.  I have a final payment due on Monday and RCCL has effectively cancelled my cruise without telling me what the remedies are (e.g. refunds).  This was a family cruise for which I booked 5 grand suites and three of the five are negatively affected by the rule change and I will need to cancel all 5 because I don’t intend to cruise without 60% of my family.  I have no insight as to what remedies are being offered.  I’m sorry, but RCCL blew it in terms of customer relations.  There is no defense!

Given what you said, I think you're doing the right thing cancelling instead of making final payment.

If you aren't comfortable with the changes and/or have more questions without answers, definitely cancel and see where things go. You can always rebook later, or a different sailing if your comfort level changes.

All too often during the shutdown, I've seen folks make final payment with concerns about the sailing.  No harm in waiting things out.

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Given what you said, I think you're doing the right thing cancelling instead of making final payment.

If you aren't comfortable with the changes and/or have more questions without answers, definitely cancel and see where things go. You can always rebook later, or a different sailing if your comfort level changes.

All too often during the shutdown, I've seen folks make final payment with concerns about the sailing.  No harm in waiting things out.

So Matt do you know what happens to my $5750 non refundable deposit if I don’t make final payment because I sure don’t.  This is not RCCL making an itinerary change this is demanding that a 12 year old child be subjected to a vaccine that they don’t need as the science and empirical evidence shows COVID is not really a threat to children and if the adults are vaccinated then the unvaccinated children are not a threat to them.  The requirement is unreasonable and irrational.  This is my third attempt at this cruise and I’m getting a little tired of making interest free loans to RCCL whether it’s their fault or not.  I ran a billion dollar/year engineering services business and if I treated my customers in the manner that RCCL handled this change I wouldn’t have had very many customers left.  Major customer relations failure for obvious reasons.  And NO, I don’t want FCCs, I want a refund… do you know what RCCL is offering because I don’t.

I have my final payment due 5/31 which I have received numerous emails about, yes I have received no information other than what I find here about an August cruise out of Bayonne.  They're not going to provide an answer before it's due I've read many, many times.  So I'm told either I cancel and they still hold my deposit "hostage" or pay them even more and hope that they cancel and I get a refund which I will have to wait extensively for.  I just want my original deposit back and I will rebook my family when we're able to.  Come on RCCL, do the right thing!

19 minutes ago, ksenese said:

I have my final payment due 5/31 which I have received numerous emails about, yes I have received no information other than what I find here about an August cruise out of Bayonne.  They're not going to provide an answer before it's due I've read many, many times.  So I'm told either I cancel and they still hold my deposit "hostage" or pay them even more and hope that they cancel and I get a refund which I will have to wait extensively for.  I just want my original deposit back and I will rebook my family when we're able to.  Come on RCCL, do the right thing!

We have all been where you are. We have all had to make the same decision around which option to roll the dice on. Do not expect a change in policy or position, you have all the data you need to make your decision. Good luck. 

@ksenesedid you book a refunadale deposit fare? If so, make the final then cancel under Cruise with Confidence program. RCL is pretty quick with the refund. I've gotten refunds back from Celebrity in under 3w. If the deposit is not refundable or not under CWC, best bet is to plan to sail but be prepared for RCL to CNX. If they CNX, usual options pertain. If air is involved book that through RCL. I got airfare fully refunded in 2w. That's not going to happen if you book independently. Good luck. 

44 minutes ago, JeffB said:

@ksenesedid you book a refunadale deposit fare? If so, make the final then cancel under Cruise with Confidence program. RCL is pretty quick with the refund. I've gotten refunds back from Celebrity in under 3w. If the deposit is not refundable or not under CWC, best bet is to plan to sail but be prepared for RCL to CNX. If they CNX, usual options pertain. If air is involved book that through RCL. I got airfare fully refunded in 2w. That's not going to happen if you book independently. Good luck. 

Even under CWC once inside final payment it is FCC only, unless RCG cancels.

No, I didn't book a refundable as the original deposit is from 2019 before any of covid began (booked 2020 on my 2019).  Plus not only will they take my $1000 they're going to charge me another $400 for change fee b/c I changed 1 day (in 2020 to 2021) before they eliminated change fees.  I guess then my only option is to wait till 5/30 and rebook for future?  Please let me know what you think.  I'm not trying to start any arguments here, obviously just upset.  I've been cruising since 2003 and still don't understand all of their 'rules'.  Thanks all!

@ksenese ..... you're not alone. I missed the FCC only thing on the CWC program. Its very difficult to keep up with all of this.

If I understand you correctly you want to "change" and rebook, not pay the final and get an FCC. Is that correct? You'll get hit with another change fee if you take that route. If you pay and take an FCC you'll be better off money wise but there may be other considerations for you, your schedule for example.

@JeffB, I'd like to get my deposit back and wait till we're more comfortable cruising with our 2 kids.  But that doesn't seem like a possibility at all, so it's either cancel and I will lose the $1000 plus not sure if they will make me pay another $400 OR rebook to a future date and have them keep the money towards that including tacking on that same $400 to that reservation.

50 minutes ago, ksenese said:

@JeffB, I'd like to get my deposit back and wait till we're more comfortable cruising with our 2 kids.  But that doesn't seem like a possibility at all, so it's either cancel and I will lose the $1000 plus not sure if they will make me pay another $400 OR rebook to a future date and have them keep the money towards that including tacking on that same $400 to that reservation.

Good luck brother. You outpaced my limited knowledge with the previous change fee; I have no ideas how that would work out. 

On 5/22/2021 at 3:49 PM, TXcruzer said:

But that is not what was being discussed, what is being discussed is. It knowing the policy and booking now.  

Those of us booked prior to the change have to comply or else. I don’t see where RCG did anything wrong, this has to be the policy at least in the short term. They didn’t do anything sneaky, the new policy has been plastered on social media every where I turn, plus was emailed out. 

Since this is the policy I think RCG should offer either a lift and shift or full refunds to people already booked but who for personal reasons have decided against getting vaccinated.  Other than that RCG is basically forcing people to choose between canceling their cruise and perhaps loosing some of their money or making them get vaccinated just so they can cruise and not loose their money.

For anyone who is currently booked on a RCG cruise between July and I would say perhaps December RCG should offer them options because being vaccinated against COVID was not a requirement when they booked their cruise, fair is fair.

11 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

Since this is the policy I think RCG should offer either a lift and shift or full refunds to people already booked but who for personal reasons have decided against getting vaccinated.  Other than that RCG is basically forcing people to choose between canceling their cruise and perhaps loosing some of their money or making them get vaccinated just so they can cruise and not loose their money.

I agree 100%.  I fully expect accommodations for the unvaccinated that have been booked prior to vaccines being available.  It would be a PR nightmare rivaling the $18 drink package to handle it any other way.

9 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

I agree 100%.  I fully expect accommodations for the unvaccinated that have been booked prior to vaccines being available.  It would be a PR nightmare rivaling the $18 drink package to handle it any other way.

Exactly, now anyone who books a last minute cruise after RCG made their announcement about requiring vaccines the normal cancellation policy should appy.  But for those who made their reservations prior to this announcement I think RCG should allow them to move their cruise or offer a full refund without penalties.  It just good policy and good customer service you don't penalize your customers for a policy change that took effect after they booked their cruise. I completely understand why cruise lines are requiring vaccines, but the requirement seems to be temporary so do the right thing RCG and you will have loyal customers for life and this is coming from a fully vaccinated individual. Don't make your customers pay for your policy change.

The policy on vaccination should have dates tied to it.  If you booked before that date (now) and the cruises are let's say till Dec. 2021 like you said, whlie cruises are being brought back online, you should be allowed to cancel and refund or rebook or vaccinate your passengers as per the policy and go.  It's that simple.  I don't see another industry dropping vaccination into their policy and forcing their customers to make decisions on vaccinate, rebook or we keep your money.  

Update, I called RCCL today.  She said for my Aug 2021 out of Bayonne I have 3 options as my final payment is due 5/31.  Pay final and expect to go following all of their rules, vaccination and so forth.  2nd option is to make a new reservation now and my full deposit would carry over to that.  3rd is cancel and get a FCC for my full deposit and have to book by 4/2022 and sail by 9/2022.  When I reminded her of the $400 change fee they charged b/c I changed the day before they stopped charging change fees and last time I called they told me it would carry over to new res or be taken out if I canceled and took FCC, she said that's no longer the policy.  I hope this is right as option 3 works best for us.

• 2 weeks later...

From the linked article (emphasis added):

Royal Caribbean International has not made any official announcements yet; however, the cruise line has cruises scheduled for July from Port Liberty. These cruises are a 5-night Bermuda cruise first sailing on July 3 onboard Freedom of the Seas and a 7-night Caribbean and Bahamas voyage first sailing on July 2 onboard Oasis of the Seas.

Whether these voyages will be canceled or Royal Caribbean is confident these voyages can go ahead remains unclear at this moment.

The RCG Universe at play again!! C'mon Royal! Spill that tea already!!

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

That article is rehashing the original quote from Mayor of Bayonne from May 20 that no one has been able to verify is true or not.

This rumor / likely-sounding news is making me hold off changing my canceled Vision booking over to Freedom for just a little bit.

Between this and a supposed travel agent event Royal is said to be holding next week,

I'm going to see if there are new sailings announced out of Bayonne (possibly fully-vaccinated,

since our governor isn't blocking / banning proof of vaccination) and if any sailings already available are getting canceled.

I wouldn't have a problem sailing in August,

considering we were already booked on an August sailing.

But it would definitely depend on what was offered; could still end up booking Freedom in October.

Edited by AshleyDillo
removed link

Come on RCCL get two ships relocated to NJ and quit screwing around and start sailing.  I am booked for a cruise in August and it is not from a US or Caribbean port and it is a vaccinated only cruise. Hate to take my money outside of the US.

3 hours ago, MadamG2U said:

We are currently booked on the Oasis in September.  I was hopeful that we would cruise out of NJ.  With the new cancellations my hope is falling.  Do you think September may just happen or should I start looking to change my cruise?

We're on in September also .....the 19th ---the folks in the Facebook group are feeling somewhat confident ..... If one ship is to make an appearance in the Metro area---it would be Oasis.

9 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

We're on in September also .....the 19th ---the folks in the Facebook group are feeling somewhat confident ..... If one ship is to make an appearance in the Metro area---it would be Oasis.

I'm on that sailing too, also in the FB group, although I am in the middle of a "deactivation" just to get away for a while ... anyway, I too have enough confidence in it sailing that we might not make final payment. Wife just started a new job and its not clear (and may not be in the next 2 weeks) if she can take the time. Originally, I was all-in, figured cruise would get cancelled and I can preserve my great GS price, now I don't feel that way and don't want a huge FCC. I started eyeing Oasis out of Miami in January - or maybe go for that "new ship smell" on Odyssey. I was looking forward to seeing the changes on Oasis - and that Miami itinerary has new places - so that might win.

Anyway, rant over, fingers crossed for you guys, I know most (myself included) are transplants from September 2020! 

22 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I'm on that sailing too, also in the FB group, although I am in the middle of a "deactivation" just to get away for a while ... anyway, I too have enough confidence in it sailing that we might not make final payment. Wife just started a new job and its not clear (and may not be in the next 2 weeks) if she can take the time. Originally, I was all-in, figured cruise would get cancelled and I can preserve my great GS price, now I don't feel that way and don't want a huge FCC. I started eyeing Oasis out of Miami in January - or maybe go for that "new ship smell" on Odyssey. I was looking forward to seeing the changes on Oasis - and that Miami itinerary has new places - so that might win.

Anyway, rant over, fingers crossed for you guys, I know most (myself included) are transplants from September 2020! 

Yeah .... until we know for sure.... everything is up in the air ...

Fortunately, thanks to a canceled cruise at the beginning of this crap, we could pivot very easily to Florida if need be thanks to unused credits with Southwest.... but, we're holding out hope for this one.  The Mrs has never been to the NYC area so she is looking forward to that aspect of it.

8 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Yeah .... until we know for sure.... everything is up in the air ...

Fortunately, thanks to a canceled cruise at the beginning of this crap, we could pivot very easily to Florida if need be thanks to unused credits with Southwest.... but, we're holding out hope for this one.  The Mrs has never been to the NYC area so she is looking forward to that aspect of it.

So much to see & do in NYC! She'll love it.

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

I hope so.  I just found the Facebook group and requested permission to join,  I love the Oasis this will be my 5th time cruising her.

• 2 weeks later...