How the Vision cancellation impacts Grandeur from Barbados

Theories abound as to why Vision was cancelled but early consensus is it didn't sell well enough PLUS ships to return to US "soon" (whatever that means).  However, for a ship like Grandeur it is sort of an "extra" ship (it was sold but that sister company went under).  with Grandeur set to sail from Barbados will it meet the same fate as Vision from Bermuda???  Points to consider

- they have actually extended the Barbados itinerary to Rhapsody

- Grandeur is a ship with out a home anyway

- some have to fly to a port anyway so they'll go anywhere (me).

would love for you all to weigh in on your thoughts.  Even after US sailings resume will these Barbados sailings stand a chance?  

No different than a San Juan sailing IMO - it’s something different and seemed to be selling well - maybe one our resident TAs can gives some insight on that part. 

As you mentioned, Granduer doesn’t have a home, so I don’t see Royal scrapping these cruises, even if everything is fully re-opened. The ONLY thing (IMO) that changes this, is if there are a lot of cancels. 

Some users said they should move ships to various islands in the Caribbean and the masses will stil cruise.

What we are seeing with Vision proves that isn't the case.  

"If you build it, they will come".  Not in this case.  

The Grandeur and Rhapsody itineraries look stellar.  Massive appeal that work well because you start deep in the Southern Caribbean to begin with.  They couldn't engineer the same itinerary from Florida.  Truly unique and very appealing that can stand on their own even after the pandemic is over.

36 minutes ago, twangster said:

Some users said they should move ships to various islands in the Caribbean and the masses will stil cruise.

What we are seeing with Vision proves that isn't the case.  

I wonder how it would have played out if it wasn't a Vision Class ship and a different itinerary.

I think there's some truth to the notion (see Adventure), but you're right that ANY sailing isn't going to cut it.

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

I wonder how it would have played out if it wasn't a Vision Class ship and a different itinerary.

I think there's some truth to the notion (see Adventure), but you're right that ANY sailing isn't going to cut it.

In my opinion it was the itinerary and not the ship. That said, I don’t know what else could have been done given Bermuda as the start point.