Specialty Restaurant Reservation Question …. Not on UDP

Normally we book a suite and have the concierge make all our UDP Specialty restaurant reservations before the cruise.  However, for the Odyssey Thanksgiving sailing we had to take a Junior Suite because no full suites were left. Since you can’t get the concierge to book your reservations in a JS, instead of getting the UDP, I was thinking I’d just book each restaurant individually to guarantee our dates and times.  

Here’s my questions ….. Do I need to book a reservation each night for my 10 year old son as well?  Or can I just book the nightly dining reservations for me and they’ll charge him $10 per night like with the UDP?  My spouse can’t make this cruise so it’s just me and my son, and I figure every table is for at least 2 people, so I was thinking it’s not like they’d have to move us to a 3 person table.  Do you think it would be a problem if I only made nightly reservations for myself and both of us showed up?  Would my son still be $10 per night like when the adults get the UDP?  Or do children have to pay full price when the adults don’t have the UDP?

Thanks in advance.  ???

• 1 month later...

One thing to note, you will still come out cheaper if you buy either the UDP or the 3 night package and make your reservations for nightly dining once you board the ship.  Prices for Specialty Restaurants onboard are $$$.  Yes, while it's true you can't make the reservations in advance since you aren't Star or Sky Class, you will still be able to get decent reservations as long as you reserve first day on ship.

14 hours ago, emmef said:

One thing to note, you will still come out cheaper if you buy either the UDP or the 3 night package and make your reservations for nightly dining once you board the ship.  Prices for Specialty Restaurants onboard are $$$.  Yes, while it's true you can't make the reservations in advance since you aren't Star or Sky Class, you will still be able to get decent reservations as long as you reserve first day on ship.

Outside of a dining package: Are the reservation prices online, say for Chops, the same that you would pay online? On one of my sailings, to reserve outside a dining package, Chops is $54.99 pp. 

4 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Outside of a dining package: Are the reservation prices online, say for Chops, the same that you would pay online? On one of my sailings, to reserve outside a dining package, Chops is $54.99 pp. 

I think you're actually asking if the online price is the same as the on board price.  Generally, the cruise planner price is cheaper than on board even when there is no official sale going on.  However, it is possible to find some deals while on the ship.  We were sitting in the Windjammer having lunch on embarkation day and someone was going from table to table offering specialty dining reservations for some sort of discount.  Many cruisers (especially new ones) don't plan ahead so this was the first they would have heard about specialty dining.  This means the restaurants are often not full on the first night so they need to drum up business.

On 6/21/2021 at 11:20 AM, Atlantix2000 said:

I think you're actually asking if the online price is the same as the on board price.  Generally, the cruise planner price is cheaper than on board even when there is no official sale going on.  However, it is possible to find some deals while on the ship.  We were sitting in the Windjammer having lunch on embarkation day and someone was going from table to table offering specialty dining reservations for some sort of discount.  Many cruisers (especially new ones) don't plan ahead so this was the first they would have heard about specialty dining.  This means the restaurants are often not full on the first night so they need to drum up business.

Thanks @Atlantix2000. Yes, should have read ...Chop, the same that you would pay onboard? Thank you! And, thank you for your answer. I appreciate ya!