Dilemma!

I am due to cruise at the end of August for the third week of our three week trip in August. I'm travelling from the UK so assuming Biden /Boris lets us go I'm all set apart from the cruise week, and if I'm not cruising I need to find alternative accommodation for a week. I have the following issues:

1. My children wont be vaccinated, what will RC do about children that are unable to get the vaccine (not that I want them to have it anyway) Who pays for the all the tests required?

2. I don't wish to cruise, where masks are required during eating! Will RC not compensate for an inferior experience (I'm aware its not there fault)

Apparently, according to RC my only option is to move my booking to 2022, losing my promotion and at prevailing rates, as long as I've paid my balance by 26th June. Currently it looks like I either wait and hope sailing conditions change, or cancel and end up paying more for next year and losing my promotions.  If I wasn't in the UK this would not be a problem but time is not on my side!

I feel that my options are very limited and I am running out of time to decide! And I need a lot more info from RC by the 26th June.

Best answer is sit and wait till RCG irons out the ever changing protocols as nothing is happening yet and things are changing every day. Thirty days out from your sail date, RCG will let you know what protocols are in place along with your options should you decide to move and/or cancel your cruise.

22 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Best answer is sit and wait till RCG irons out the ever changing protocols as nothing is happening yet and things are changing every day. Thirty days out from your sail date, RCG will let you know what protocols are in place along with your options should you decide to move and/or cancel your cruise.

Sadly 30 days out might be too late to sort alternative accommodation, that would only give me just over 2 weeks.

Many of have lost great rates or special voyages so we can relate.  I've also lost family so in the bigger scheme losing out on several cruises must be kept in perspective for me.

No one knows when the CDC here will finally do enough so that ships can sail.  This is all on the CDC as their outdated policies are the only obstacle to ships sailing.  

Will the CDC finally get over themselves this week?  We all hope so, but we don't know.

All any of us can do is wait and hope.

2 hours ago, icf75 said:

Sadly 30 days out might be too late to sort alternative accommodation, that would only give me just over 2 weeks.

30 days out is when RCG notifies you as to protocols. I'm 45 days out and still can't check-in or have not received protocols. I was told by RCG everything at this point is done 30 days out. I also have the option to cancel and receive FCC BUT I'll wait as I know it's going to be canceled. Then, "BADA-BING!!" the ball is in my court, so-to-speak, as to full refund (serves RCG right if I do cancel since they are waiting till the last possible moment) or take a FCC. RCG might even do L&S. Always have a backup plan just in case your cruise gets canceled. 

@icf75At least if you wait....

1. If RCI cancels you most likely will be presented more options 

2. If RCI goes but places protocols you can't work with, due to any conflicting issues ie Celebrity sailings mandate 16 and up be vaccinated to sail, can't get that done or not getting that done, again more options

3. These options may and hopefully will include a Lift & Shift scenario where at least you can lock in your prevailing rates, (IF OFFERED)

Keep a close eye on what will be mandated (early next week RCI protocols for Bahamas sailings are being released) I believe these protocols may be the framework for US sailings, and as a family we pay for the PCR testing for our 15 year old but we want to sail so we accept that. 

If I were you and I can feel the frustration and angst, I would hunker down and at least wait until 25 June 2021 before final payment before making any concrete decisions, get the most information available. Like @twangster opined we have lost so many great rates it pains me, but we have to get this right or the CDC will be tripping over themselves stating " we told you so, pitri dishes!!" Sending you positive thoughts....

What @Phoenix said! Agree 100%

2 hours ago, icf75 said:

Perhaps you could book something now as a back up. In the current climate of uncertainty, many places let you book with no upfront payments and free cancellation up to a day or two before arrival. If you can find one that's suitable for your needs, you're all set if your cruise doesn't go ahead or you can cancel if it does.

26 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

30 days out is when RCG notifies you as to protocols. I'm 45 days out and still can't check-in or have not received protocols. I was told by RCG everything at this point is done 30 days out. I also have the option to cancel and receive FCC BUT I'll wait as I know it's going to be canceled. Then, "BADA-BING!!" the ball is in my court, so-to-speak, as to full refund (serves RCG right if I do cancel since they are waiting till the last possible moment) or take a FCC. RCG might even do L&S. Always have a backup plan just in case your cruise gets canceled. 

Did they also change the due date for final payment or is it still due 90 days out?

29 minutes ago, twangster said:

Only Alaska and Canada/NE cruises in 2021 had the final payment due date modified.

All other cruises remain 90 days for cruises 5 nights or longer, 75 days for cruises less than 5 nights.

Thanks for clarifying that.  Looks like I may be making my third interest free loan to RCL in less than a year.  I’m in for five grand suites.

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

Ive not been told I cant cancel and receive FCC.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Perhaps you could book something now as a back up. In the current climate of uncertainty, many places let you book with no upfront payments and free cancellation up to a day or two before arrival. If you can find one that's suitable for your needs, you're all set if your cruise doesn't go ahead or you can cancel if it does.

Thats the route im going down, just trying to find somewhere that gives me a late enough free cancellation.

30 minutes ago, icf75 said:

Ive not been told I cant cancel and receive FCC.

28 minutes ago, icf75 said:

Thats the route im going down, just trying to find somewhere that gives me a late enough free cancellation.

Under the CRUISE WITH CONFIDENCE you can Cancel up to 48 hours before you sail and get a future cruise credit valid to book by April 30, 2022 and sail by September 30, 2022. This is for cruises booked on or before May 31st, 2021. Here is the link that explains everything: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

You can do this also online as well as calling them BUT if you used a TA, let them do it. Hope it helps.

15 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Under the CRUISE WITH CONFIDENCE you can Cancel up to 48 hours before you sail and get a future cruise credit valid to book by April 30, 2022 and sail by September 30, 2022. This is for cruises booked on or before May 31st, 2021. Here is the link that explains everything: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

You can do this also online as well as calling them BUT if you used a TA, let them do it. Hope it helps.

Actually, this sounds like what ive been offered.  Apart from the fact the are saying this must be done BEFORE my final payment.  Or are they not explaining properly by saying 'make final payment and you can do this upto 48hrs before sail date'

9 minutes ago, icf75 said:

Actually, this sounds like what ive been offered.  Apart from the fact the are saying this must be done BEFORE my final payment.  Or are they not explaining properly by saying 'make final payment and you can do this upto 48hrs before sail date'

You must make your final payment at the given time/date AND you also have up to 48 hrs before the sail date to cancel and you will receive a FCC of what you paid for the cruise. If  you applied a previous FCC on this booking, you will get that back as well.

4 hours ago, icf75 said:

In case it might help, I often use the Hilton brand when I travel to the US and they are currently offering flexible bookings with free changes or cancellations up to 24 hours before arrival at many of their properties. It's not across the board though so you do need to check the details in each property's description. https://covid.hilton.com/

If you're not already a member, you can join their loyalty scheme (Hilton Honors) free of charge before you book and that will usually get you perks such as a small discount off the price.

Anyway, whatever happens, I really hope you get to go and that you have a fantastic trip. ?

17 hours ago, icf75 said:

Booking.com typically (but not in every case so make sure you check) allows you to book accommodation with no deposit, pay the provider directly when you arrive, and cancel without penalty up to 24hrs before yours scheduled arrival.