Celebrity Cruises will let vaccinated passengers not wear masks and passengers can go on their own shore excursions

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/05/18/cdc-will-only-require-cruise-ship-passenger-covid-19-tests-after-the-cruise-sailings-more#disqus_thread

How in the heck are they (whoever "they" is) going to verify who's been fully vaccinated, who's lying, and who hasn't been fully vaccinated? I understand there is no concrete database of individuals vaccinated. The COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card is easier counterfeited than my fake ID when I was in college.

Their guidance all but mirrors the latest CDC guidance (other than the meal service rule), which is a bit of a downer since these cruises aren't bound by the CDC.

They really need to let those under 16 not have to wear masks.  Everyone else will be vaccinated, and those under 16 will have to be tested to board anyway.

One question, what's the definition of a "big, big crowd?"

Super exciting! Hopefully Royal mirrors this... that will be amazing

It is still interesting to see them taking the CDC recommendations into account since they are not sailing out of the U.S. but hey, whatever works.

Keep in mind this only applies to Greece and St. Maarten cruises.

How will they verify vaccination cards?  Only time will tell.

However, how many people are going to drop three or four thousand on a cruise hoping their $13 fake CDC card passes muster?  (pun intended)

They are literally flying into another country where if they get busted they lose everything and will likely be spending some extended time with the local authorities of that country as well as having some explaining to do once they do manage to fly back home and get to meet federal authorities in the US who will be very eager to receive them.

On boarding day CWC isn't available (must be engaged 48 hours prior to sailing). 

Getting caught with a fake card means losing all your money.

The cruise line will handle hundreds of real cards.  How good is a fake?  Does the paper feel the same?  Is the ink identical?  

Would you be willing to wager thousands of dollars on a Chinese or Russian knock off card?

You have to imagine Royal will be similar, sounds like we may hear tomorrow. We’re traveling with two kids so we’re especially interested in seeing how they handle the policies that affect them. One can now get the vaccine and will so hopefully they’ll also consider that and not just lump her in with everyone 16 and under. We’re happy to wear masks if needed and follow any protocol necessary, but it will be interesting to see how this goes!

Since it's St Maarten and Greece cruises, knowing who's vaccinated or not is easier since all adults are required to be vaccinated and it would be anyone under 16 that isnt.

In terms of proof, since they arent sailing from US, I expect some form of proof of vaccination to be required, although that remains to be seen.

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Since it's St Maarten and Greece cruises, knowing who's vaccinated or not is easier since all adults are required to be vaccinated and it would be anyone under 16 that isnt.

In terms of proof, since they arent sailing from US, I expect some form of proof of vaccination to be required, although that remains to be seen.

According to the Celebrity website: Travel Requirements for Cruise from St Maarten | Celebrity Cruises

• Celebrity Cruises requires proof of vaccination in the form of the original vaccination card administered at least two weeks prior to sailing. No photocopies or photos accepted.

So, yes, proof is required.

If you are in the US, and got vaccinated, you get a slightly-bigger-than-a-credit-card CDC card stating you got the vaccine, along with the type and lot number.  It is a legal document that serves as proof (that's why the passport thing never came to fruition.)  When you get the card, take a picture of it on both sides in case you lose it.  I've run more than my share of clinics...

Conversely, its interesting people have been stealing the cards and selling them!  We had to really ramp up security  :x

I’m not worried about vaccine verification. I’m vaccinated and am fine being around unvaccinated people without a mask. I know I may still get the virus but have 100% protection from getting sick to the point of being hospitalized, if the unvaccinated want to roll the dice and take that chance more power to them. 

Posted this on a "roll call" thread but feel like it fits perfectly into this discussion as well!

If Royal were to adopt some of the new protocols that were just announced for Celebrity, what happens to families that have a 16 y/o that didn't have to be vaccinated but now do, there is no vaccine that will give them the two weeks after the second dose for cruises that leave in June.

3 hours ago, steverk said:

According to the Celebrity website: Travel Requirements for Cruise from St Maarten | Celebrity Cruises

• Celebrity Cruises requires proof of vaccination in the form of the original vaccination card administered at least two weeks prior to sailing. No photocopies or photos accepted.

So, yes, proof is required.

I've received a little more clarification that might be important!

Specifically, bullet point 2 on the Celebrity website says that US & Canada residents can get their COVID 19 test 5 days prior to arrival.

Bullet point 3 says all passengers need a COVID test 3 days prior to arrival.

I called Celebrity twice and both times the person on the phone said that 5 days was correct.  However, I wanted it in writing so I sent an email to [email protected] asking for clarification.  Here is their response:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx

Thanks for reaching out to us.  I apologize if the website information is not clear.

The second bullet point refers to St. Maarten's requirements, the third to Celebrity Cruises requirements. The second bullet point is referring to arrival at St. Maarten and the third bullet point is referring to arrival at the pier.

In order to enter the country, you will need a negative RT-PCR test taken within five days of arrival. In order to board the ship, you will need a negative RT-PCR test taken within 3 days of embarkation. If you would like to take only one test to satisfy both requirements, it will need to be done within 3 days of embarkation.

Since I plan to arrive 1 day early, getting just one test would mean getting it 2 days prior to arrival in St. Maarten.  That strikes me as cutting it pretty fine.  Has anyone taken an RT-PCR test? How long did it take to get your results?

12 minutes ago, steverk said:

Has anyone taken an RT-PCR test? How long did it take to get your results?

Last time I took one it was through Walgreens.  Scheduled ahead of time through their website, pulled up to drive-thru and they gave the materials to you and you self-administered in the car.  Turn around time was quoted to be 48-72 hours for results but I had mine back in less than 24 hours.  There was no out of pocket cost to me, but they did bill my insurance.  If you don't have insurance coverage, they still won't charge though and it's covered under the government program.   Their lab partners are reporting 24-48 hours still as their turnaround time.  Just make sure you are selecting the Diagnostic Lab test if you go with Walgreens as that's the PCR one needed.

Since it's no cost out of pocket, I'd consider doing maybe multiple tests on subsequent days to make sure you have the recent enough results to board the ship.

There are some tests out there with quicker turnaround times, but I believe those places charge, but that may give you better peace of mind.

59 minutes ago, steverk said:

Has anyone taken an RT-PCR test? How long did it take to get your results?

My older daughter is a part-time children’s music teacher and has had to take several tests now that she’s working out of the actual school building again. Always gets the results in 24 hours even without explicit rapid turnaround request (which requires a form from a doctor, like I’ve had for my pre-surgery tests).

17 hours ago, twangster said:

he cruise line will handle hundreds of real cards.  How good is a fake?  Does the paper feel the same?  Is the ink identical?  

The Bahama Health website requires you to list the vaccine lot #s (as listed on your card) as well as the address and phone of the medical facility that gave you the vaccine. If they or RCI wanted to, I suppose they could call and ask if your card is real. ?