Article: Ongoing mask mandate for travelers: 'It will be enforced, period'

6 hours ago, teddy said:

Friends spent this past week on vacation in Hawaii.  They said it was a long, long day of flights and layovers going from ME to HI with masks on the whole time other than eating/drinking.

Just flew back from Dallas last week and had no problem keeping my mask off for much of the trip,  isolated seating in airport with a drink in front of me not bothered, after the plane started the roll I slipped it down and only pulled it up again when in noticed the few time the stewardess was coming down the isle.

Mind you I have been fully vaccinated for months now, so the chance of me contracting it, being an asymptomatic carrier are less than the chance of my dying in a car wreak on the way home from the airport.  So I poised no risk to myself or others.

I think the public will determine when enough is enough through increased public disobedience.

11 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

I think the public will determine when enough is enough through increased public disobedience.

That's one thing in a store where the best they can do is ban you from that store.  

It's another matter on a plane where it actually breaks a law with all that goes along with breaking laws.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/travel/faa-unruly-airline-passenger-fines.html#:~:text=Four people are facing nearly,the skies with the easing

Four people are facing nearly $70,000 in civil fines for clashing with airline crews over mask requirements and other safety instructions on recent flights, part of what the Federal Aviation Administration called a “disturbing increase” in the number of unruly passengers who have returned to the skies with the easing of pandemic restrictions.

On 5/15/2021 at 8:45 AM, twangster said:

That's one thing in a store where the best they can do is ban you from that store.  

It's another matter on a plane where it actually breaks a law with all that goes along with breaking laws.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/travel/faa-unruly-airline-passenger-fines.html#:~:text=Four people are facing nearly,the skies with the easing

Four people are facing nearly $70,000 in civil fines for clashing with airline crews over mask requirements and other safety instructions on recent flights, part of what the Federal Aviation Administration called a “disturbing increase” in the number of unruly passengers who have returned to the skies with the easing of pandemic restrictions.

I would add to that that failure to obey the instructions of a member of the flight crew is a federal crime. It does get prosecuted and will also get you banned for life from whatever airline you are on.

While I agree that masks for vaccinated people shouldn't be required, an airplane is not the place for civil disobedience.

On 5/15/2021 at 8:45 AM, twangster said:

no where in my comment on "Public Disobedience" did I imply that it required that you clash or argue with an authority figure.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:45 AM, twangster said:

And this is why masks are still required on public transportation, to avoid unruly interaction between passengers. At least when it's between passengers and flight crew, one side has some authority.

7 minutes ago, Hince57 said:

is this the equivalent of the poster saying "i was exceeding the speed limit" but didn't get pulled over?

I suppose, but you have to be travelling well over the speed limit before the punishment becomes a ban from driving on roads again, so maybe not exactly the same.

fair enough.  i know masks are obviously the hot button item right now, but i think the public (not the cdc, the states, or local ordinances) civilly pushing back against mask mandates is a key component to the reestablishment of normalcy (assuming numbers in the US continue on their current trajectory).

7 minutes ago, Hince57 said:

fair enough.  i know masks are obviously the hot button item right now, but i think the public (not the cdc, the states, or local ordinances) civilly pushing back against mask mandates is a key component to the reestablishment of normalcy (assuming numbers in the US continue on their current trajectory).

Ask the Americans that are now banned from airlines if their civil disobedience was worth it.  An airplane at 30,000' is not the place to push an agenda that involves violating the law especially while it is a hot issue. 

The same be said for cruises when they initially start up.  When you board you agree to abide by the policies.  Once they are 15 miles away from shore will not be the place to be civilly disobedient and ignore mask policies.  This is exactly the behaviour that causes the CDC to pause and slow down.  

Protest peacefully outside your kid's school or favorite store if you want their policy changed.  Don't board an airplane or a ship after agreeing to their policy and then force the issue in the middle of the trip.    

I hate masks.  So glad my local grocery stores allow me to shop now without them.  

Having said that I am waiting to see what the cruise ship policies will be.  If I don't like them I won't sail.   I sincerely hope anyone who tries to sabotage a cruise restart by being civilly disobedient on board is promptly confined to their cabin and dropped at the first port of call to find their own way home then banned for life.  

that probably comes back to our use of the word "civilly."  i would argue that the people being banned by airlines, the faa, etc, did not act civily. for instance:

the way you've phrased it would not meet my criteria of civil.  on the contrary, if i remove my mask while by myself in an airport or pull it down while on an airplane, and am asked by a flight attendant to pull up my mask or by an airport employee to put one on, then i will. at least, that's by definition of being civil.

All I am seeking is consistency between what is being done on land to apply at sea when cruising and IF cruises restart in July from the US, the cruise lines and CDC should reflect the current conditions. 

Nobody wants to have to be masked in the MDR in an absurd fashion of masking in between bites or courses because that lacks any science or data especially if vaccinated. 

Royal has a right to set their terms of service and I agree, if the rules are posted in advance and you sign off of them, dont be that guy who refuses to comply with an underpaid crew member who is ask you to put on a mask. 

Airlines are different. I have flown 7 times during the pandemic, all with American. There was no contact tracing. Mask were theater. If you have 100+ passengers that can take off masks at any time when they eat or drink then you should have no masks at all. Again the virus has now been shown to be aerosolized and you are inches away from fellow passengers. That cloth mask is not going to protect you like people think it does. There has been little interest in the US to tie covid spread to air travel. BUT, there will be great interest to tie cruise travel to covid spread. 

Cruise ship/airplane/taxi/grocery store/little red wagon/whatever.....I'll wear a mask if one is required to enter until such time that mask use is not required.

I feel that none of the people who want to do their act of civil disobedience has been on the receiving end of someone who has decided to make their patriotic last stand in a grocery store over wearing a frigging mask.  The person on the receiving end is just trying to make a living.  Go to your damn statehouse and take it off if you want to find someone who cares.