Kentucky and Indiana no mask update

Starting today Kentucky and Indiana has dropped the mask wearing mandate for fully vaccinated people for inside and outside with no social distancing (according to the CDC recommendations our Governor said today).   However, we still have to wear them on buses, planes, hospitals, prisons, and homeless shelters ?.  I hope this will be a giant step in the right direction for cruising!!!

June 2nd Ohio is dropping all health and social mandates from the state.  Business will be able to make the decision to require social distancing and masks if they choose to.  I am very excited to start getting back to freaking normal. 

Governor DeWine also made a lottery out of it so to speak.  

https://www.whio.com/news/local/dewines-vax-a-million-drawing-under-fire/WY53U235WRF47CM7P73FEYKDOI/

20 hours ago, whitsmom said:

Starting today Kentucky and Indiana has dropped the mask wearing mandate for fully vaccinated people for inside and outside with no social distancing (according to the CDC recommendations our Governor said today).   However, we still have to wear them on buses, planes, hospitals, prisons, and homeless shelters ?.  I hope this will be a giant step in the right direction for cruising!!!

20 hours ago, DublinFC said:

Business will be able to make the decision to require social distancing and masks if they choose to.

The same here in Illinois. The second statement is where it gets tricky as individual businesses can still mandate their own rules. Some will now choose to add no masks to no shirts, no shoes, no service.

Most capacity limits and mask requirements are being lifted today in North Carolina, effective immediately. No specific mention of individual businesses having the right to require masks, but unless requiring them were to violate a law they should be free to do so. 

If a place of business requires a mask and I don't like it (I don't) I have the option to not frequent that business.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:41 PM, HeWhoWaits said:

If a place of business requires a mask and I don't like it (I don't) I have the option to not frequent that business.

Agreed. If you don't like a business that has a mask policy, don't frequent them if you don't like their policy. It's your right not to wear a mask and it's their right not to provide a service to you. I think that second part has been forgotten the last year. I'm keenly aware of that, as someone who works with the public and has been called names, sworn at and had things thrown at me, because I was doing what my company pays me to do. Manage and uphold company policies.

53 minutes ago, FManke said:

It's your right not to wear a mask and it's their right not to provide a service to you. 

Since approximately 1/3 of Americans are vaccinated, as this 2 tiered system of vaccination segregation evolves, will businesses want to risk turning away 2/3 of their potential customers? 

As it relates to cruises: approximately 30 million Americans cruised in 2019. A recent poll showed only 17% of those vaccinated in the US would be willing to cruise. Assuming that the 17% of the Approximately 1/3 who are vaccinated were all past cruisers, that would only be 20,000,000.  Would the Cruise industry be willing to reduce its customer pool significantly by adopting such rules?

Walt Disney World also dropped their mask mandate for outdoors, but still need it in ride lines and queues. 

NJ did make some changes, but not a lot yet as we still have a lot of people waiting for vaccinations. Our Governor claims "we're not there yet."  We were one of the hardest hit states, so he's being cautious. 

On 5/14/2021 at 1:41 PM, HeWhoWaits said:

Most capacity limits and mask requirements are being lifted today in North Carolina, effective immediately. No specific mention of individual businesses having the right to require masks, but unless requiring them were to violate a law they should be free to do so. 

Ohio has now, after CDC made more changes, that vaxed can ditch masks 100% (nursing homes still the exception I think).  I tested this update over the weekend.  My wife and I went to a Home Depot walked in talked to staff about purchases we were looking to make etc.  No one mentioned needing masks.  

We decide to have lunch at Panera.  We are ordering food and then while taking our order the cashier asks us if we have masks.  I politely stated we are vaxed.  She then says we still need to have masks on and walks to get, I am guessing the manager.  I am not trying to be on a YouTube "worst customer" video so we went ahead and just left.

I will say my wife was a little annoyed with me because she really likes one of the salads they have, whoops ?

I am wondering how businesses are going to do when June 2nd rolls around when everyone can ditch their masks here.  

Edited:  I want to make sure that it is known the Panera cashier was not snotty or rude to us when asking about us having masks.  I fully believe they were just doing their job and there is nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

13 minutes ago, Marlena said:

As a Canadian with strict mask rules and hopeful we jump on board soon,  id like to know what the rules are for kids in these states. Since kids aren't offered the vaccine yet are they making them mask up?  Thanks for the info guys!

In most states that previously had a mask mandate, yes. Some even as young as 2 years old.

Colorado only requires masks for those over age 10. I don't know if any other masked states have exceptions for a specific age level.

26 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

In most states that previously had a mask mandate, yes. Some even as young as 2 years old.

Colorado only requires masks for those over age 10. I don't know if any other masked states have exceptions for a specific age level.

So a family with vaccinated parents and their kids go to Walmart. Parents can be unmaked but 7 year old for example is masked due to no vaccine? Hmm..  thanks for responding!

7 minutes ago, Marlena said:

So a family with vaccinated parents and their kids go to Walmart. Parents can be unmaked but 7 year old for example is masked due to no vaccine? Hmm..  thanks for responding!

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work.

The CDC director was actually asked about that very scenario, asking "are kids at risk if they don't wear a mask at the store?"  The Director dodged the question and gave a generic answer about wearing masks.

1 hour ago, Kayleigh said:

UPDATE: Starting Wednesday in NY, mask mandate is lifted except on public transportation, in nursing homes, homeless shelters, correctional facilities, schools, and health care facilities

Then that means starting Thursday, New Jersey will lift theirs ...... ?

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

Then that means starting Thursday, New Jersey will lift theirs ...... ?

TBF, this is tricky. I'm not a NJ resident so, I'm not familiar with how the state has handled its Public Health Emergency (PHE) Declarations. In FL, the state's PHE does not expire until June 29th and is subject to review and renewal. The governor just extended it for 60d, two weeks ago so........

The CDC says all of you that are vaccinated can throw off your masks. That's good science. The problem is that some counties, private businesses and condo associations are still mandating various mitigation measures, including masks for entry/service. How the hell can they still do this?

I did some digging this morning and found this is entirely legal and enforceable notwithstanding challenges, both legal and otherwise to those kinds of rules. Usually, declaration of a PHE at the state and county levels gives state and county officials all kinds of lattitude to do what they deem neccessary to protect residents from the pandemic. We've already experienced getting locked down, can't go outside without a mask, can't go to a show, restaurant or bar because the county you live in has closed them down, blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile the state or county to the north, south, east or west, pick one, may not have. IOW, in a lot of places you can find a place that requires masks and go across the street and they don't. CRAZY!!!

In practical terms while the CDC's guidance on masking is entirely appropriate, that emergency powers are still in effect and underlie the legality of these seemingly silly rules that persist, creates problems. The main one is that it allows for a patchwork of masking and distancing rules, among others, throughout the US. I suspect NJ is affected by this too.

What actually needs to happen to create more uniformity in PH guidance below the federal (CDC) level guidance is for states to end PHE declarations. Surprisingly, and despite FL's "open" reputation, that won't happen here until June 29th. Until then residents who are living in condo associations can continue to bitch, moan and shake their fists at condo associations who won't open their pools can pound sand. Its legal. If you want to confront a Costco or restaurant employee who says you have to wear a mask to enter, he's likely to be completely within his rights to deny you entry/service without a mask. Be nice. Just don the thing. Hopefully, this will sort itself out by July 1st.

IMO at this point, these examples, among dozens of others, are just stupid, anti-science and unnecessary outcomes. Lift PHE declarations at the state level, even better if lifted at the federal level, and the underlying legal authority that perpetuates fear monkey BS goes away. I'm hoping Biden directs HHS to do this sooner, than later. BTW, if he does, the authority by which the CSO was issued at best disappears at worst it becomes significantly more untenable and difficult to defend (see FL's lawsuit).

3 hours ago, Marlena said:

As a Canadian with strict mask rules and hopeful we jump on board soon,  id like to know what the rules are for kids in these states. Since kids aren't offered the vaccine yet are they making them mask up?  Thanks for the info guys!

Kentucky has opened up the Pfizer for 12-15 years old.  If they don't have the vax then they still have to wear mask.  They did say they have to wear their mask thru the end of school which is tomorrow for my Granddaughters.

Chicago still has mask mandate until I believe June 20th, but because so many other places withdrew theirs, people have been behaving crazy. I manage a restaurant and my servers have been physically and verbally abused by guest from other states since last summer. It has gotten worse these pass few weekends. I wish people would understand they are subject to the rules and regulations of not only the government on a federal and state level, but also on a private business level.

Yeah, that employees are taking it in the chin from uninformed idiots is disturbing. But I blame the Feds for terrible messaging and not recognizing that they need to end the PHE, by my measures, completely appropriate.  Things would improve dramatically if they did. 

The problem is they have boxed themselves into a corner with the Biden administration's hyper-cautious approach to a return to some level of normalcy. TBH, this had to have came from Fauci who, from the beginning, has been one of the greatest, don't take a position for fear you may look bad if challenged, practitioners of all time.

It was a mistake to exalt this guy and let him out of the cage Trump put him in .... and don't get me wrong, I'm not a Trump supporter. But I'm not a fan of Anthony Fauci and despite his elevation to some kind of super-hero status who was hog-tied by Trump, he's done way more damage with both his advice to Biden if the messaging from the feds is an indicator of that and his awful PH messaging since the pandemic began than he has done good. Truth be know, he deserves our opprobrium not our applause.