Adventure or Jewel?

Generally prefer Voyager class but there are some cool features on the Jewel as well.

Love the pool tables for example and there is so much glass you really "see" the sea all the time ... if you like that.

With the Adventure refurb late this year there will clearly be more "to do" on Adventure though ... water slides, etc.

I have not been on Jewel or her class of ship, but I have been on Adventure's sister ship, Navigator of the Seas, twice, before and after dry dock, and we absolutely loved it.  The voyager class of ship is great.  I can only tell you what I would do, because I had the same question to answer.  We chose Adventure of the Seas for February, out of San Juan.  With the refurbishment coming up, we're even more excited to try out a brand new ship.  Here's some details from a post that Matt did awhile back on this to give you an idea of what this refurbishment will entail (see below).  Good luck and I'm sure you'll have a great time either way!

Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas is due for a refurbishment in November 2016 and we are now getting details on what work will be done.

Royal Caribbean is planning on adding these changes and additions to the ship

Cyclone and Typhoon waterslides

1454866517_20160204-032618-ret.jpg?itok=

These two water slides were first added to Liberty of the Seas, and have also found a home on Harmony of the Seas.

Adventure of the Seas will be the first Voyager-class ship to get water slides.

FlowRider surf simulator

1458687581_rci-liberty-perfect-storm-213

The FlowRider has proven to be one of the more popular activities across Royal Caribbean's fleet. Guests can choose between learning to stand-up surf or boogie board throughout their cruise.

Royal Caribbean has been adding FlowRiders to many of its ships, including other Voyager-class ships.

Slashaway Bay aqua park

IMG_1175.JPG?itok=CR4HYBtB

Splashaway Bay is an aqua park featuring an interactive kid’s play area with water cannons, geysers and much more.

Like the water slides, it too was first introduced on Liberty of the Seas and was also added to Harmony of the Seas.

Izumi

IMG_3296.JPG?itok=lfbWvnLH

Fans of Japanese cuisine will relish meals at Izumi.  The restaurant is famous for fresh, quality made sushi as well as other traditional Japanese dishes.

Izumi has been added to many other Royal Caribbean ships over the years, and has become one of the most proliferated and popular specialty restaurants.

Addition of dry-aged steaks to Chops Grille

chops7_0.jpg

Royal Caribbean is capitalizing on the dry-aged steak fad, which is the process of hanging the meats and letting time and microbes do their magic to enhance the flavor of the beef.

Dry-aging beef takes time, usually 21-28 days, and as a result costs more money because the restaurant ties up cash in inventory that’s just sitting around, losing water weight and literally shrinking. The benefit is the flavors get concentrated, similar to how a reducing sauce becomes richer. It's become a big fad among steakhouses these days and Royal Caribbean wanted in on the action.

Adventure of the Seas is a Voyager-class cruise ship and is home-ported in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

I guess another factor worth considering is how important is the Promenade as the central 'hub' of the ship?

I've heard great things about both classes of ships, but would your rather relax in the Centrum at the R Bar surrounded by glass? Or, would you rather stroll along the Promenade with its various shops and venues? 

It sounds like your decision is right on the line of small large ship (Adventure) vs. large small ship (Jewel)

You'll be getting on Adventure around the time that we get off !  We are doing Christmas 23 - 29 Dec 2017.

On our first cruise out of SJ we did the same thing you are doing.  We went down 3 days early and we remained on SJ 3 days after we got off the cruise.  It was a really nice combo.  Dan wanted to do some deep sea fishing while there but the weather did not cooperate.  The seas were too rough on the back side of the cruise (which is when he had hoped to do his fishing).  We really enjoyed our time in SJ.

I don't know where you are planning on staying but I will give you a little insider info.  IF you are eligible for a government rate, the Ritz-Carlton offers an excellent government rate (for the Ritz-Carlton).  They even gave it to us during Christmas week (on another Christmas SJ cruise a few years after our first one).  It's still pricey but for the RC, it is way below their normal daily rate.

Thanks, everyone! We just booked Adventure for San Juan in January 2018. We plan to fly down a couple of days early to spend some time in SJ before boarding and then heading home. Thanks for confirming the decision!

We have on Adventure twice and love that ship and the southern Caribbean! Only draw back (for us) is that there is not enough sea days on either jewel or adventure itineraries. Easily overcome by the ship and all the southern ports!!

Which itinerary are you sailing?

I agree with you. This is my only objection to southern Caribbean itins. They are so port-intensive that it wears you out ! You just don't get a break. wonderful ports...just too many of them.

Really looking forward to our 9nt Navigator southern caribbean from Miami. Unfortunately, it's not until April 2018 but on paper it is the most ideal cruise itinerary that royal offers.

If the itineraries are similar, I'd go with the Adventure.  Just keep in mind that you won't have a lot of opportunity to explore the ship on a port intensive itinerary.

We had this choice in 2015 and opted for the Jewel as she had the better itinerary, but I would have chose the Adventure if the itineraries were the same.

• 11 months later...

Wondering if anyone has been on Jewel recently. I have her booked for next April, but tempted to switch to Adventure.

But I really enjoy the feel of the smaller ship to be honest. And with all the glass for the views I am thinking I should stay with Jewel. But Adventure sounds and seems like it has so much more now than Adventure?!

Thoughts from anyone who has done both recently or even not so recently?

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

Wondering if anyone has been on Jewel recently. I have her booked for next April, but tempted to switch to Adventure.

But I really enjoy the feel of the smaller ship to be honest. And with all the glass for the views I am thinking I should stay with Jewel. But Adventure sounds and seems like it has so much more now than Adventure?!

Thoughts from anyone who has done both recently or even not so recently?

I haven't been on Adventure, but loved the Jewel. If you like the smaller ship feel, I'd stick with Jewel as her sea views were one of the things I missed on my most recent cruise. 

I have done small (vision)  as well as adventure and freedom.   We loved adventure and we went before the refurbishment.   But someday i would love to do jewel for all the connection to the ocean.  Adventure will have more bells and whistles but is still not overwhelming, jewel will have the small feel.  I think it's a win either way.   Jane