Door alerts suggestions?

Okay, this may be an unusual question for this board, but you have done great on the other suggestions. So...

Our daughter sometimes sleepwalks in unfamiliar environments, and we are going on first cruise next year (Oasis). Does anyone have suggestions (from experience on ships) for temporary door alarm/alert units that they are confident would work for just alerting us that the door is being opened during the night (including the balcony door)? Do the metal frames effect magnetic contact type units?

Or other suggestions?

Am considering the "door wedge" units that have audible alert, but I know if the door is too close to the floor (narrow gap) then they do not activate. So what is the typical door-to-floor gap?

Also, I don't want so loud that it ticks off adjacent cabins/cruisers.

So any ideas that have worked for folks in the past?

MANY thanks.

This is a great question.  I'll start by saying that I don't have any experience with this challenge in particular, but do have a couple thoughts.

Contact Royal Caribbean via the below link, or have your travel agent reach out to RCCL's special needs group.  It wouldn't surprise me if they already have a solution for this.  

Outside of that, I'd note the doors are quite heavy and I know that it would be impossible for somone to leave the room without waking me, especially if the top lock is locked (more noise), but I also realize that your stakes are higher, and everyone is different in terms of how deeply they sleep.

There are of course commercial solutions specifically for temporary (hotel) use, such as those below, which I think you alluded to with the wedge alarm:

http://amzn.to/2alMvZH

http://amzn.to/2axDKGR

Let us know what you end up doing and how well you find it works.  I'm really curious if RCCL's special needs team already has a solution for this.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

I had not seen the Belle Hop alarm before. Might do the trick, but it depends on the door-to-frame gap size. Anyone know if the that gap on the ships is pretty close, or a bit wider than a typical hotel?

The bells are a good idea, I am not sure they would be loud enough, but maybe worth trying at home first.

Looks like a good idea, but Wow!  120dB is loud.  I'd try it out first before using it on board. 

This is exactly what I was going to recommend.  We use one like this on our rear screen door.  A string of bells is also a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea on the bells. We are going to try that.

As for the wedge, We have not actually been on a cruise yet, but the YouTube videos I have seen on OASIS cabins, appear to show the cabin door opening outward into the hallway. If so then the wedge won't work for us.

Is it true that the cabin doors (deck 6 oceanview balc) open into hallway?

The luggage is a good idea to.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just got off of a cruise and all doors opened out into the hallway. I asked about it because the crew blocked my door with luggage for the cabin next door to me and I couldn't get out. Had to call for someone to move the luggage. They said it takes less room to open out then in and the new ships are being made that way. THIS WAS NOT AN RCCL SHIP!!

I would try the bells and agree with monorailmedic that if someone opens that door, it is so heavy the noise would wake me right up.

Candie

DocLC,

Guest services told me that it takes less room to open out then to open into the room, especially if it is an accessible room, trying to get a scooter or wheelchair through. I thought the same thing, I was trapped in my room because trying to push 3 big pieces of luggage with the door, they just wouldn't budge. The room is built to where the door is about 4 feet from the hallway, (no hitting passengers) the door opens out to the wall of your room, your bathroom to be exact. I also didn't like that the only lock on the door was a switch lock that you push to the left, no chain, no plate, nothing to lock your door, wasn't happy about that.

Candie

I just got off of a cruise and all doors opened out into the hallway. I asked about it because the crew blocked my door with luggage for the cabin next door to me and I couldn't get out. Had to call for someone to move the luggage. They said it takes less room to open out then in and the new ships are being made that way. THIS WAS NOT AN RCCL SHIP!!

I would try the bells and agree with monorailmedic that if someone opens that door, it is so heavy the noise would wake me right up.

Candie

To me thats nuts, getting trapped that is. It makes sence that out swinging doors give more room, but I can see in an emergency you getting trapped inside. It wouldn't take much to block your exit.

I got to admit I laughed when I read that, during the call I hope a small part of you found the situation funny too.

Jerel,

I was angry at first and asked the person that came and moved the luggage why did the crew block someone's door was acceptable? His answer was they thought the luggage was mine. That was BS because they all had tags with the cabin number and name of the passenger, and it wasn't my room. I think they were just in a hurry and thought probably 10854 isn't in her room, it is sailaway time, she will be up on deck. WRONG!

After I calmed down and when I was telling my friends about it, it became quite funny. 

It is just the thought that I could be trapped in an emergency.

Candie