Celebrity Introducing non-Inclusive Simply Sail Rate on Select Voyages

twangster

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Celebrity will soon introduce a cruise only fare that includes no perks or benefits.  

It will only be offered on select voyages after final payment due date on a cruise by cruise as-needed basis.  

Do you know if they will actively advertise these sailings? Or is it going to be a case of having to hunt for them or happen across them by chance? I would really like to try Celebrity for their itineraries but as non-drinkers refuse to pay the mark up for AI.

30 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Do you know if they will actively advertise these sailings? Or is it going to be a case of having to hunt for them or happen across them by chance? I would really like to try Celebrity for their itineraries but as non-drinkers refuse to pay the mark up for AI.

I don't know yet. With so few ships booking past payment due date it's hard to know right now.

Time will tell.  

$210 is way less than the cost of those perks when purchased separately. Assuming that they are also not including gratuities in the rate, that alone runs about $100 per person over 7 nights, if I’m remembering right that they are $14.50 per night for non-suite cabins. Classic beverage package by itself is $50 per person per night, so on a 7-night sailing that would be $350 all by itself.

That “discount” stinks to high heaven. Even allowing for some fuzzy math package rate for AI, you’re not saving a damn thing once you have to pay the gratuities.

One thing about the new Simply sail rates - they can be hard to see and if you don't know to look for them it's easy to miss.

This Concierge Class GTY rate doesn't exactly look attractive given it's just $10 less.

331794775_ScreenShot2021-05-13at7_41_17AM.thumb.jpg.185fee2473492ef1bc12f7b3cbc32ed0.jpg

However it's easy to miss the warning that it's a no frills rate.

For $10 less per person for the entire cruise you lose Wi-Fi, drinks and gratuity.

252019199_ScreenShot2021-05-13at7_41_25AM.thumb.jpg.ea239e0a76b1546f5dc0c8f61bcb6b36.jpg

Yeah, that really is just a BS way to do it. At that point, pay the minimal "extra" for the all-inclusive room since you'll more than come out ahead just on tips, even if you don't use one byte of wifi data or take a single non-free drink.

That is a point to consider about the drink package inclusion. Even if you don't drink alcohol, the classic beverage package also includes coffees, sodas, and a few other semi-premium beverages. So you can still get some value out of that being included if you like to get coffees at Cafe Al Baccio or other premium coffee venues.

We booked Apex, 8n Greek Isles itinerary out of Athens for July 9th. It was an absolute no-brainer to take the everything included rate. Did the math. I moved a booking from a questionable Amsterdam on Reflection sailing 7n, Norwegian Fjords on 7/10 itinerary to a sure thing Apex out of Athens on 7/9. Paid an air booking change fee and $100pp cancellation fee for the cruise change and still the booking was less than the Reflection cruise with air. 

The Apex cruise in a Veranda (port hole) with air isn't cheap. That cabin class has a balcony, the balcony is just surrounded by steel with a large cut-out looking out. The Infinity Veranda is not worth it having read plenty of reviews on that Apex class ship offering. We're Elite Plus so taking the everything included option dilutes the perks - so be it. Still, because the air to Athens was so much cheaper (almost 1/2) than the air to Amsterdam, the change was about a wash. At this point, I'm willing to pay to get back aboard, IOW, as long as it's reasonable price is no object.  

But yeah, I think at this point you have to do the numbers with respect to booking with the everything included rate v. the sail only rate. As demand plays out the price spread between the two options will probably widen. If people aren't biting on the everything included rate, the sail only rate will go down.

It's interesting that on the website if you like to save money with GTY rates you have no choice but to go without perks.  Working through a travel agent they can price an Always Included GTY fare.  

I can see some guests not realizing they booked a GTY rate absent of Always In perks.  On one hand it's presented but this is new so few know to look out for the change.  That could make for an awkward moment once onboard.  Why am I being charged for this drink?