The CDC weird and strange requirements

31 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

CDC tweaked their cruise ship guidance for masks

Old:

Mask Use

At this time, all persons, including port personnel, crew, and passengers (including those that are fully vaccinated) are advised that CDC’s Mask Order remains in effect and requires the wearing of masks on conveyances entering, traveling within or leaving the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs (see Maritime-specific Frequently Asked Questions).

• While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.
  • Masks do not have to be worn while inside one’s own cabin

Requirements

To reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2, cruise ship operators must:

• Provide passengers and crew with information on how to properly wear, take off, and clean cloth masks.
  • Remind passengers and crew not to touch their masks when wearing them.
  • Position posters educating passengers on how to properly wear masks in high traffic areas throughout the ship
  • Ensure bathers wear masks while congregating outside of recreational water facilities (RWFs) and while seated on the pool deck area. Masks do not need to be worn in the water, e.g., in RWFs or while swimming in the ocean. A wet cloth mask can make it difficult to breathe and likely will not work correctly. This means it is particularly important for bathers to maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters) when in the water with others who are not traveling companions or part of the same family.

New:

Mask Use

At this time, all persons, including port personnel, crew, and passengers are advised that CDC’s Mask Order remains in effect and requires the wearing of masks on conveyances entering, traveling within, or leaving the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs. (see Maritime-specific Frequently Asked Questions).

• While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.
  • Masks do not have to be worn while inside one’s own cabin.
  • Travelers should not wear a mask when doing activities that may get the mask wet, like swimming at the beach or in recreational water facilities. A wet mask can make it difficult to breathe and may not work as well when wet. This means it is particularly important for bathers to maintain physical distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters) when in the water with others who are not traveling companions or part of the same family.

Fully Vaccinated Travelers

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may gather or conduct activities outdoors, including engaging in extended meal service or beverage consumption, without wearing a mask except in crowded settings. [Smokeybandit note: This seems to conflict with the unchanged rule that masks have to go back on after each bite]

Requirements

24 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

More changes:

The section "Social Distancing" is now "Physical Distancing"

This section was removed.  I find this pretty noteworthy.

Dining

• Eliminate any self-serve food or drink options, such as buffets, salad bars, and drink stations. This limits the use of shared serving utensils, handles, buttons, or touchscreens and helps customers to stay seated and at least 6 feet (2 meters) apart from people who do not live in their household.

Also, significant changes to the Shore Excursions section

Shore Excursions & Transportation Services

Participating in shore excursions and group transportation increases a person’s risk of getting and spreading COVID-19 by bringing people in close contact with others, often for prolonged periods. Additionally, participating in these activities in other communities and countries with high prevalence of COVID-19 further increases the risk of introduction of COVID-19 onto cruise ships.

Fully Vaccinated Travelers

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.

Requirements

• Ensure all shore excursion tour companies facilitate physical distancing to allow for at least 6 feet (2 meters) between individuals who are not traveling companions or part of the same family; and adhere to mask wearing, cleaning and disinfection, and other COVID-19 public health measures throughout the tour.
  • Restrict passenger attendance so that proper physical distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters) between individuals who are not traveling companions or part of the same family.
  • Prohibit self-guided or independent exploration by passengers during port stops

Recommendation

To further reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2, cruise ship operators as a best practice should:

• Consider prohibiting self-guided or independent exploration during port stops by passengers and crew who are not fully vaccinated.
  • Offer supervised shore excursions during port stops for passengers and crew who are not fully vaccinated where all participants wear a mask and maintain physical distance. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.
  • Limit shore excursions in foreign ports of call to countries listed as Level 1: COVID-19 Low in CDC’s COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination.

Hate pointing this out... Notice a common theme is the loosening of restrictions, "if they are fully vaccinated"...

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Where did you see that?

Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may gather or conduct activities outdoors, including engaging in extended meal service or beverage consumption, without wearing a mask except in crowded settings.

Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.

One question I'd have about this altered guidance is what about kids?

Would kids have to keep their mask on during dinner while they're parents don't?  

Also, 

""At Perfect Day at CocoCay, because it is our private destination and everybody who lives on the island will have the vaccination and all guests will be vaccinated who are 18 and older, you will not have to wear a mask when you're at Perfect Day at CocoCay," Freed said during the opening of her call with travel agents."

So shouldn't this same concept apply on the ship, too?

Still, mask use needs to be dropped while eating indoors because 

1. That is what is happening in many US states with indoor dining already and it has not shown to be a vector of transmission or super spreader.

2. It falls in line with the increasing support that is swelling to drop mask use indoors totally. 

3. Its an enforcement nightmare on the ship in MDR and Windjammer. It is not realistic for crew to do normal jobs and then have to be the mask police to determine how long your mask has been off.

4. VACCINATED

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

One question I'd have about this altered guidance is what about kids?

Would kids have to keep their mask on during dinner while they're parents don't?  

Also, 

""At Perfect Day at CocoCay, because it is our private destination and everybody who lives on the island will have the vaccination and all guests will be vaccinated who are 18 and older, you will not have to wear a mask when you're at Perfect Day at CocoCay," Freed said during the opening of her call with travel agents."

So shouldn't this same concept apply on the ship, too?

I really don't think the CDC has authority to dictate what occurs in another country just because the destination is a private island.  

The ship is another matter. 

38 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Looks like the buffet section was removed as a social distancing recommendation, but still remains as a food service requirement.

That's interesting, because it's pretty clear that (realistically) no one is getting COVID from salad tongs.  

(I know many people would rather see self-serve buffets go away, and that's fine, but I don't think it can be justified from a COVID prevention perspective.)

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

I really don't think the CDC has authority to dictate what occurs in another country just because the destination is a private island.  

The ship is another matter. 

A youtuber i watched made the case that since the ship ports in the US, it has authority to set terms in exchange for letting a ship port in the US. I would have to watch again to look at law he referenced and it falls in line with the shore excursion requirements with the cruise provider only.

9 minutes ago, danv3 said:

That's interesting, because it's pretty clear that (realistically) no one is getting COVID from salad tongs.  

(I know many people would rather see self-serve buffets go away, and that's fine, but I don't think it can be justified from a COVID prevention perspective.)

I live in SC and when buffets opened back up here...specifically BBQ buffets, a few had staff serve you down the line but the majority i have been to require you put on gloves to server yourself

7 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

A youtuber i watched made the case that since the ship ports in the US, it has authority to set terms in exchange for letting a ship port in the US. I would have to watch again to look at law he referenced and it falls in line with the shore excursion requirements with the cruise provider only.

I'd love to see the Bahamian government march into the UN and absolutely trash the US government for interfering with it's sovereignty.  

15 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Basically every study (even one that the CDC did that they framed as being bad but the details of it were good) has found that no restaurant patrons are getting covid from going to a restaurant.

15 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Found it:

controlled free pratique

That doesn't give the federal government authority to implement policy applicable while a person is on the sovereign soil of another country.  

On the vessel or aircraft yes, not in debate.  Off the vessel or aircraft, while in another country, nope.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

That doesn't give the federal government authority to implement policy while a person is on the sovereign soil of another country.  

On the vessel or aircraft yes, not in debate.  Off the vessel or aircraft, while in another country, nope.

I dont know enough about it to make a reasoned discussion on it. I am with you though on sovereignty of other nations but wonder why the CDC put requirements in there in first place for port excursions if they felt they didnt have jurisdiction. 

Either way, I am glad the new guidelines erase the need for that masked madness.  

7 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I dont know enough about it to make a reasoned discussion on it. I am with you though on sovereignty of other nations but wonder why the CDC put requirements in there in first place for port excursions if they felt they didnt have jurisdiction. 

Either way, I am glad the new guidelines erase the need for that masked madness.  

We'll likely never know but if they did go there it would take a long time to work its way through the international process.

The US routinely ventures into areas that tangle with international laws and conventions.  Most countries do at some point.  

2 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

I live in SC and when buffets opened back up here...specifically BBQ buffets, a few had staff serve you down the line but the majority i have been to require you put on gloves to server yourself

But gloves won’t stop people from licking the spoon ??

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/11/cdcs-credibility-is-eroding-amid-conflicting-mask-guidance-ex-obama-official-says.html

“I think the CDC’s credibility is eroding as quickly as the cases of coronavirus are eroding,” said Dr. Kavita Patel.

“There are men and women working on the lines outside on telephone and electricity lines, and they’re still wearing masks because, in the absence of this guidance, we’re making it up,” Patel said.

Maine Republican Senator Susan Collins has said her confidence in the agency is being undermined by conflicting CDC guidance.

“I used to have the utmost respect for the guidance from the CDC,” Collins said during a Congressional hearing on the pandemic response Tuesday. “I always considered the CDC to be the Gold Standard. I don’t anymore.”

The CDC did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment.

Meanwhile, Alaska Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski has said federal mask requirements were endangering the work of fishermen.

“You’re out on a boat. The winds are howling. Your mask is soggy wet,” Murkowski said during the hearing. “Tell me how anybody thinks that this is a sane and a sound policy?”

2 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

I'm happy the CDC has realized they have no jurisdictional authority over what cruise ship passengers do once they step off the ship in another country including private islands when those islands are not US territories. 

Now we need them to get rid of the mask mandate while eating and drinking what indoor dining restaurant on land has to deal with these types of restrictions where patrons have to mask in-between every bite or sip of their drink?  And what does the CDC have against buffets on a cruise ship?  Here in Illinois most buffets are reopened and some especially in grocery stores reopened last year before the vaccines were in circulation and not a single COVID case attributed to those restaurants or grocery stores.

9 minutes ago, Tarheel0907 said:

whats the point of vaccines if nothing changes for receiving it....

This is exactly what some of the Senators in yesterday's hearing were talking about, the CDC's refusal to update policies and recommendations has eroded the agency's credibility and the more the CDC digs in its heals the more it contributes to  vaccine hesitancy or worst people saying they will never take the vaccine. 

The CDC and the NIH are no longer independent organizations politics has found a home within their walls especially at the top, and I am by no means a conservative but even I can see the agencies (especially its leaders) are no longer above the political fray.  It will take years to restore public confidence and trust in both the CDC and NIH, when NBC News is airing a segment saying CDC's credibility is eroding faster than COVID cases are dropping you know you have a problem.

27 minutes ago, Tarheel0907 said:

whats the point of vaccines if nothing changes for receiving it....

Dr Alex Garza in St. Louis said that vaccinated people have to keep wearing a mask because “we don’t want to create a society of hives and have nots” ughh