The CDC weird and strange requirements

1. You have to wear a mask outside on a cruise line private island. (seriously?!?! How does that make sense in ANY world?)

2. Wear masks by the pool.  ( I have been to many resorts during the pandemic and the only requirement is to wear them when walking to and from the pool. They can come off when you are sitting or in the pool. Also, that is going to give me the strangest tan. )

3. Wristbands are recommended to alert you when you are too close to someone else. ( I guess due to the pandemic we have lost our sense of knowing if someone is standing right next to us.)

4. You cannot remove your mask for an entire meal.  ( Yet you are allowed to remove your mask for the entire meal at restaurants on land.)

It is my humble opinion that CDC now stands for Crazy Daffy Cookoo

I think the CDC loses all credibility when they publish such things.  

When I see a crazy person rambling away to no one on a street corner saying nonsensical things I ignore them without a second thought.  That is where the CDC has placed itself.   Crazy people best to be ignored.  

The New York Times had an article today about the outdoor mask mandate.  I have linked it below.  The gist of it is that the less than 10% outdoors transmission rate quoted by the CDC is true but very misleading.  The actual outdoors transmission is below 1 %.  They use the following analogy:

Saying that less than 10 percent of Covid transmission occurs outdoors is akin to saying that sharks attack fewer than 20,000 swimmers a year. (The actual worldwide number is around 150.) It’s both true and deceiving.

Here is the full article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html

This is absolutely asinine,  the CDC has a vendetta with the cruise lines and it appears as though they really are trying to shut them down for good in this country.  And where does the CDC get off on telling cruise lines how they must operate at their own private island when those private islands are not part of any US territory or under the control of the US government? 

Either the vaccines work or they don't you can not require 95% of customers and 98% of crew be fully vaccinated but keep these ridiculous restrictions in place.  

Looks and sounds like a classic government "shakedown" of the cruise industry.

It would appear that the cruise lines haven't made the necessary "voluntary" political contributions into the campaign coffers to effectively "encourage" the CDC to adjust the health guidelines to reflect actual science.

I believe someone else referred to the NY Times article today, yet you have to wear a mask on a Private Island?  The absurdity of all of this is beginning to wane on all of us. 

There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.

Once you conclude someone is saying dumb crazy things it makes it very difficult to keep your mind open to anything else they say. 

If you say nine crazy things and one accurate and logical thought very few will hear it.  The valid point is lost, discarded and written off because of the junk they publish.  They are basically no different than the cable news outlets publishing crazy stuff in support of an agenda.  Facts don't matter, the ends justify the means.

At this point I wall take nothing the CDC says seriously.  

Once we are past this pandemic and years from now when the next one is headed our way I will completely ignore the CDC warnings.  That may kill me but I just can't take them seriously any longer.

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Once we are past this pandemic and years from now when the next one is headed our way I will completely ignore the CDC warnings.  That may kill me but I just can't take them seriously any longer.

I understand your thought process, which is why this is so disturbing to me.  Many people will think like this which may make the next pandemic even more lethal.

28 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

The New York Times had an article today about the outdoor mask mandate.  I have linked it below.  The gist of it is that the less than 10% outdoors transmission rate quoted by the CDC is true but very misleading.  The actual outdoors transmission is below 1 %.  They use the following analogy:

Saying that less than 10 percent of Covid transmission occurs outdoors is akin to saying that sharks attack fewer than 20,000 swimmers a year. (The actual worldwide number is around 150.) It’s both true and deceiving.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html

Walensky was asked about this today during Senate testimony, but completely blew off the question and just said "we're following the science"

16 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

Exactly even before we had vaccines the outdoor transmission rate was extremely low, the CDC and Fauci knew this but decided it was better to lie to the American people about how COVID was spreading and in the process they cost hard working Americans their jobs.  Now that over 110 million Americans have been fully vaccinated people on both sides (conservative and liberal) are starting to ask questions because of the CDC's intransigents even when it comes to child at camp.  

Back to cruise industry none of the restrictions the CDC is requiring cruise lines to adhere too is based on science or data, it is based on the CDC's bias against the cruise industry.  If 98% of crew and 95% of passenger must be fully vaccinated for a ship to sail from a US port why is it then that I still have to wear a mask at dinner, where is the danger.

The other problem with the CDC approach to delay cruising is bad timing.

Right now we have large numbers of people fully vaccinated combined with folks who have had the virus.  

Six months from now the efficacy will not be what it is right now.  We don't know exactly what it will be but we do know it won't be what it is right now for either vaccinated or previously infected.

There is no guarantee the folks who vaccinated will accept boosters in 6 to 8 months.  Many are deciding to forego second shots so it seems logical many will forego boosters.

Right now is the best time to take advantage of the data trend.  Right now is the safest time to sail.  

The CDC isn't following science, they are ignoring it.

41 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

I understand your thought process, which is why this is so disturbing to me.  Many people will think like this which may make the next pandemic even more lethal.

You mean like staying inside for a year based on CDC when indoor transmission was the primary means of spread? You mean like keeping kids out of school and watching suicide rates skyrocket? You mean like listening to the CDC while watching your small business crumble that it sends you in a spiral of depression which leads to opioid abuse? And when should we listen to the CDC? The current director had to have her statements walked back 3 times this year. On schools, pregnant women getting vaccines and her statements on vaccinated people spreading covid. Which time should we listen to her? 

Since the CDC is now a political organization, we would be better served looking at the data and science from other sources rather than CDC guidance which is now based on whatever political narrative the administration desires. 

Shutting down playgrounds, beaches, parks, and other outdoor areas only added to the problem. Outdoor transmission has never been a thing. Yet the CDC stills insist on mask wearing outside. Look at their Summer Camp recommendations for children and how downright abusive it is to ask kids in 90 degree weather to wear masks outdoors. 

The CDC is losing the public's trust and downright lost trust by millions in the US and they are to blame because of their incompetence

The CDCs incompetence is keeping 1000s of cruise related jobs shuttered for no valid scientific reason. Its time for their power over the cruise industry is ended and I am hoping for a favorable ruling tomorrow in the hearing 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Once you conclude someone is saying dumb crazy things it makes it very difficult to keep your mind open to anything else they say. 

If you say nine crazy things and one accurate and logical thought very few will hear it.  The valid point is lost, discarded and written off because of the junk they publish.  They are basically no different than the cable news outlets publishing crazy stuff in support of an agenda.  Facts don't matter, the ends justify the means.

At this point I wall take nothing the CDC says seriously.  

Concur...  I've been ignoring the CDC's "warnings" for several months...  inconsistent and not based on (apparently) anything scientific.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Right now is the best time to take advantage of the data trend.  Right now is the safest time to sail.  

Gottlieb seems to understand this, re: indoor masks should go so if the risk does get high again, people aren't so resistant to putting the measure back in place. He's smart enough to see that the CDC risks turning in to chicken little. 

The mask thing gets better.

Requirements

• Remind passengers and crew not to touch their masks when wearing them.

How do you lower your mask to eat or drink if you can't touch your mask?

"Here's your dinner but don't touch your mask to remove it.  Using a fork force your food around the edge of your mask without touching your mask".

I can see a lot of spilled wine trying to drink from a wine glass with a mask on because you can't touch your mask to remove it before taking a drink.  

36 minutes ago, twangster said:

Requirements

"Here's your dinner but don't touch your mask to remove it.  Using a fork force your food around the edge of your mask without touching your mask".

I can see a lot of spilled wine trying to drink from a wine glass with a mask on because you can't touch your mask to remove it before taking a drink.  

This could be a great comedy/parody video. Unfortunately...it's reality.

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

Requirements

I'm totally on your side, but taking a mask on and off without touching anything but the ear straps is super easy.  I do it dozens of times each work shift.

11 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm totally on your side, but taking a mask on and off without touching anything but the ear straps is super easy.  I do it dozens of times each work shift.

Technically you are still touching it.  The CDC guidance doesn't distinguish between the ear loops and the surface of the mask.  

You know better.  The CDC does not.  

46 minutes ago, twangster said:

Technically you are still touching it.  The CDC guidance doesn't distinguish between the ear loops and the surface of the mask.  

You know better.  The CDC does not.  

They do in some publications. I’m still mad at them, though.

0367AC77-DB4D-4DC0-B9BA-CE801A6643AD.png

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

They do in some publications.

By their own guidelines (which are only for when you are home, you might note), you should wash your hands immediately after removing your mask. So to follow to the logical (read illogical) conclusion, you should hand sanitize before every single bite. But hey...Science (Trademark CDC, 2020)

8 minutes ago, Auto said:

By their own guidelines (which are only for when you are home, you might note), you should wash your hands immediately after removing your mask. So to follow to the logical (read illogical) conclusion, you should hand sanitize before every single bite. But hey...Science (Trademark CDC, 2020)

Continuing this to its ludicrous conclusion, when the mask is removed for a bite, you have one hand holding each string. So you must have a sterile bag to place the mask in, and ideally someone dedicated to mask handling (obviously with their own mask and gloves) to place said mask into a sanitary ziploc bag of some kind, and to remove said mask from the bag when the bite is complete. Even if one transfers the mask to one hand, how much time will it take to place the mask back in the bag, and remove it again once (fully masked) chewing is complete? 

The CDC is a joke.

16 hours ago, twangster said:

Requirements

How do you wear a mask without touching it? 

Isn't it always touching your face?

If the CDC were actually concerned with the science and the numbers of cases, deaths, and vaccinations, then they should really look at these facts:

1. The 7 day average of new cases in the United States has decreased from 68,917 a month ago to 38,135 as of yesterday, a 44% decrease

2. The 7 day average of deaths in the United States has decreases from 985 a month ago to 619 as of yesterday. a 37% decrease

3. The percentage of people in the US receiving at least one dose of vaccine on April 11 was 36.3% and fully vaccinated was 22.1%. As of yesterday those numbers were up to 46.7% at least one dose and 35.5% fully vaccinated. 

12 minutes ago, LovetoCruise87 said:

If the CDC were actually concerned with the science and the numbers of cases, deaths, and vaccinations, then they should really look at these facts:

1. The 7 day average of new cases in the United States has decreased from 68,917 a month ago to 38,135 as of yesterday, a 44% decrease

2. The 7 day average of deaths in the United States has decreases from 985 a month ago to 619 as of yesterday. a 37% decrease

3. The percentage of people in the US receiving at least one dose of vaccine on April 11 was 36.3% and fully vaccinated was 22.1%. As of yesterday those numbers were up to 46.7% at least one dose and 35.5% fully vaccinated. 

Would also like to add the number of fully vaccinated people is higher than can be reported. Locations that didn't schedule both doses together have had issues reporting the second stick, and those who had to reschedule their second also have issues reporting in.

42 minutes ago, LovetoCruise87 said:

Comparing 7 day average of deaths between May 10, 2020 and May 10, 2021...

May 10, 2020: 1,761

May 10, 2021: 604

Sure glad the CDC is following the numbers...

Edit: Removed 7-day Percent Positivity statistic. Never felt that was a good statistic given how testing was limited.

Edited by CGTLH
Removed 7-day Percent Positivity statistic

CDC tweaked their cruise ship guidance for masks

Old:

Mask Use

At this time, all persons, including port personnel, crew, and passengers (including those that are fully vaccinated) are advised that CDC’s Mask Order remains in effect and requires the wearing of masks on conveyances entering, traveling within or leaving the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs (see Maritime-specific Frequently Asked Questions).

• While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.
  • Masks do not have to be worn while inside one’s own cabin

Requirements

To reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2, cruise ship operators must:

• Provide passengers and crew with information on how to properly wear, take off, and clean cloth masks.
  • Position posters educating passengers on how to properly wear masks in high traffic areas throughout the ship
  • Ensure bathers wear masks while congregating outside of recreational water facilities (RWFs) and while seated on the pool deck area. Masks do not need to be worn in the water, e.g., in RWFs or while swimming in the ocean. A wet cloth mask can make it difficult to breathe and likely will not work correctly. This means it is particularly important for bathers to maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters) when in the water with others who are not traveling companions or part of the same family.

New:

Mask Use

At this time, all persons, including port personnel, crew, and passengers are advised that CDC’s Mask Order remains in effect and requires the wearing of masks on conveyances entering, traveling within, or leaving the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs. (see Maritime-specific Frequently Asked Questions).

• While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.
  • Masks do not have to be worn while inside one’s own cabin.
  • Travelers should not wear a mask when doing activities that may get the mask wet, like swimming at the beach or in recreational water facilities. A wet mask can make it difficult to breathe and may not work as well when wet. This means it is particularly important for bathers to maintain physical distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters) when in the water with others who are not traveling companions or part of the same family.

Fully Vaccinated Travelers

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may gather or conduct activities outdoors, including engaging in extended meal service or beverage consumption, without wearing a mask except in crowded settings. [Smokeybandit note: This seems to conflict with the unchanged rule that masks have to go back on after each bite]

Requirements

More changes:

The section "Social Distancing" is now "Physical Distancing"

This section was removed.  I find this pretty noteworthy.

Dining

• Eliminate any self-serve food or drink options, such as buffets, salad bars, and drink stations. This limits the use of shared serving utensils, handles, buttons, or touchscreens and helps customers to stay seated and at least 6 feet (2 meters) apart from people who do not live in their household.

Also, significant changes to the Shore Excursions section

Shore Excursions & Transportation Services

Participating in shore excursions and group transportation increases a person’s risk of getting and spreading COVID-19 by bringing people in close contact with others, often for prolonged periods. Additionally, participating in these activities in other communities and countries with high prevalence of COVID-19 further increases the risk of introduction of COVID-19 onto cruise ships.

Fully Vaccinated Travelers

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.

Requirements

• Ensure all shore excursion tour companies facilitate physical distancing to allow for at least 6 feet (2 meters) between individuals who are not traveling companions or part of the same family; and adhere to mask wearing, cleaning and disinfection, and other COVID-19 public health measures throughout the tour.
  • Restrict passenger attendance so that proper physical distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters) between individuals who are not traveling companions or part of the same family.
  • Prohibit self-guided or independent exploration by passengers during port stops

Recommendation

To further reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2, cruise ship operators as a best practice should:

• Consider prohibiting self-guided or independent exploration during port stops by passengers and crew who are not fully vaccinated.
  • Offer supervised shore excursions during port stops for passengers and crew who are not fully vaccinated where all participants wear a mask and maintain physical distance. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.
  • Limit shore excursions in foreign ports of call to countries listed as Level 1: COVID-19 Low in CDC’s COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination.