TA... Pull the Trigger?

Up coming bookings are wow! and ehhh... Not practical to back out of the "ehhh" one pretty well "stuck" with it.   Been looking for something different to add and keep me hyped up. Had planned a couple years from now  to do a nice Trans Atlantic. Seeing one now thats talking to me, Not as long as the others. I don't wind up in some amazing Med setting on this one. Instead cool and damp Southampton, England. Kind of a "practice" for a longer fancier one.... Thinking just Oceanview as I would think that spring in north Atlantic , wouldn't be best weather for Balcony, and again a Practice" TA.  Thoughts?  Ship is Anthem. Used to see her regular basis while fishing in New Jersey and impressive machine. Not worried there. Any input?  Started digging around at some details. Southampton to Palm Beach  air fare showed insane. I'm pretty good at getting point A to point B. Looked up London Heathrow to Newark and dirt cheap. Can find dirt cheap also Newark to Palm Beach also... This sound right or should I look at air to sea?  So what would be best way to get from Southampton to London?... Bus or maybe Train? Would be kinda cool to do train... Other input???  Inspire me!

55 minutes ago, deep1 said:

So what would be best way to get from Southampton to London?

Definitely the train as long as you are providing yourself more than enough time.  It appears to be about a 2.5 hour train ride.  You need to make sure you have the wiggle room for late or canceled trains.  I spent a week in the UK traveling around by bus and train and it's very easy to get around as long as you are capable of carrying your luggage.  Never made it to Southampton so I can't advise on the logistics of things such as where the port is relative to a train station or bus stop to get to the train or any of that, but I found it very easy to navigate the UK.  They also have Uber and Lyft over there so you could call one of those to the train station. 

If I would doing a TA from NJ to Southampton, I would plan to fly out of London the day after the cruise ended and stay the night in London before my flight.  This would give ample travel time from Southampton to London and there is plenty to do and see in London.  We actually had a weather related snafu where we had all flights were canceled and then all trains were canceled and we ended up on an overnight bus to get between two cities.  Fortunately the original plan was to get in the night before, so we had the extra time and we still made it in time for our event, just on very less sleep that originally planned.  

I guess you're looking at eastbound NJ to Southampton on May 2nd 2022? I waited and waited for that one to come out because we had been planning on doing this year's. However, we preferred this year's itinerary because it was a day longer and had a stop in Canada meaning also a max of 3 sea days in a row (deal breaker). So for us, that one's unfortunately been shelved for now. ?

So, I agree that probably you wouldn't get much use out of a balcony on that crossing but are you high enough on the C&A ladder to get a balcony discount? Because if you are, check out the obstructed balcony cabins on deck 6, as that may actually work out cheaper or not much more than the OV. Then if you did happen to get a decent day or two you could take advantage of it without having spent a fortune on it. Take a look specifically at the so-called "square cabins" which are not too badly obstructed and have a wider balcony (6254, 6258, 6654 and 6658). The ones on starboard will get you better sunshine going in that direction.

Getting from Southampton to London is fairly straightforward but will depend on whether you are planning to fly straight back to the US on disembarkation day. Cheapest is usually the National Express coach service which runs every couple of hours but which may take a while especially if there are any accidents/road works along the way. The train can be an excellent choice; more comfortable than the coach and less susceptible to traffic delays but a bit more expensive. You can't usually book either of these very far in advance but it's worth checking daily to see when they open up because the earlier you book the less you pay. Also they do have cheaper fares for the over something-or-others (can't remember the exact ages but you'll find them on the relevant websites). The third option, if you're likely to be tight on time, is to book a car service. There are several local ones in Southampton that are well-regarded.

Another option worth exploring is using a low-cost carrier out of Southampton or Bournemouth to somewhere like Amsterdam, Paris or Dublin and booking an onward flight to the US on a separate ticket. This could save you some money by avoiding the UK's hefty air passenger tax, although you need to be wary of the luggage rules and costs charged by the low-cost carrier and allow enough time to collect and re-check your bags. Dublin has the added attraction of having pre-flight US immigration so when you arrive back in the States it's as if you've arrived on a domestic flight.

Lastly, if in the end you decide to go the London route, do try and stay there for a couple of nights, if you can possibly swing it. It would be a terrible shame to miss out on visiting such a great city. There is very decent budget hotel chain in the UK called Premier Inn which has comfortable properties at sensible prices.

Sorry for waffling on for so long. I hope some of it's helpful. ?

Different experience going east versus going west due to the numerous time changes.  That's not a reason not to do it, just something to be aware so don't base all transatlantics on an eastbound as the impact to your sleep cycle is different.   Try one both ways to experience it yourself.  Heading east they typically change the clocks mid-day versus at or after midnight heading west.  

My Anthem east TA last year was cancelled due to the virus but I'd have no issues on Anthem, love the ship.

16 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I guess you're looking at eastbound NJ to Southampton on May 2nd 2022? I waited and waited for that one to come out because we had been planning on doing this year's. However, we preferred this year's itinerary because it was a day longer and had a stop in Canada meaning also a max of 3 sea days in a row (deal breaker). So for us, that one's unfortunately been shelved for now. ?

So, I agree that probably you wouldn't get much use out of a balcony on that crossing but are you high enough on the C&A ladder to get a balcony discount? Because if you are, check out the obstructed balcony cabins on deck 6, as that may actually work out cheaper or not much more than the OV. Then if you did happen to get a decent day or two you could take advantage of it without having spent a fortune on it. Take a look specifically at the so-called "square cabins" which are not too badly obstructed and have a wider balcony (6254, 6258, 6654 and 6658). The ones on starboard will get you better sunshine going in that direction.

Getting from Southampton to London is fairly straightforward but will depend on whether you are planning to fly straight back to the US on disembarkation day. Cheapest is usually the National Express coach service which runs every couple of hours but which may take a while especially if there are any accidents/road works along the way. The train can be an excellent choice; more comfortable than the coach and less susceptible to traffic delays but a bit more expensive. You can't usually book either of these very far in advance but it's worth checking daily to see when they open up because the earlier you book the less you pay. Also they do have cheaper fares for the over something-or-others (can't remember the exact ages but you'll find them on the relevant websites). The third option, if you're likely to be tight on time, is to book a car service. There are several local ones in Southampton that are well-regarded.

Another option worth exploring is using a low-cost carrier out of Southampton or Bournemouth to somewhere like Amsterdam, Paris or Dublin and booking an onward flight to the US on a separate ticket. This could save you some money by avoiding the UK's hefty air passenger tax, although you need to be wary of the luggage rules and costs charged by the low-cost carrier and allow enough time to collect and re-check your bags. Dublin has the added attraction of having pre-flight US immigration so when you arrive back in the States it's as if you've arrived on a domestic flight.

Lastly, if in the end you decide to go the London route, do try and stay there for a couple of nights, if you can possibly swing it. It would be a terrible shame to miss out on visiting such a great city. There is very decent budget hotel chain in the UK called Premier Inn which has comfortable properties at sensible prices.

Sorry for waffling on for so long. I hope some of it's helpful. ?

I would plan for day after disembark... We travel light. Cary on with small back pack covers us pretty much. Would no doubt need to tote jackets for cool weather as one slight difference. I've done a load of London time but would like a leisurely visit . Stop off at Harrods... The short run flights from Southampton looked pretty pricy ($280 each for one way). Train and a quick visit seems to settle with me best... When I looked at Balconies they were double of the OV and this one as mentioned is an after thought. Practice run... I'll likely get serious with a med trip doing a b2b with a return TA for my "Real one"... Trans pacific  will be a one shot get it right thing...  I have Bora Bora  and Tahiti on my bucket list for that... As for time changes. I used to bounce back and forth between Florida and South Africa with some side trips to Mauritius... So those were like 8 and 5 hour jumps... I'm jut fine with them. 

I booked an airport hotel at Heathrow for my planned Anthem TA.  It was a Hilton brand and within walking distance to the terminals (long walk but totally walkable). 

I ended up using the hotel in March when the travel ban was first put in place and I had to scramble home from Spain VIA London coming off the Allure TA last year.   Fortunately I was able to just move the date of my reservation.  My original plan was go downtown from the airport hotel.  It's a bit of train ride to downtown but being at the airport for an early flight the next day made it worth it.  

I have done Trans Atlantic cruises every spring for years.  Love them.  I do get a balcony, usually a Jr Suite.  I get a lot of use with balcony even in cooler weather, like Northern Europe or Alaska.

Have taken a few cruises out of Southampton (in fact have one booked for this September but do not think it will happen).   Have always taken the train to and from London.  The train  station in Southampton is very close to cruise terminal.  Usually get first class and the fast train.  Not a train that stops often and takes longer.  The Southampton trains to London go to Waterloo (at least they always have before, not Victoria station).  I usually stay in London a couple days after cruise.  Ruben's hotel is fantastic, right across from Buckingham palace and can walk everywhere.  Then take taxi to and from Heathrow.  A good hour drive if I remember correctly. Depends on time of day and traffic.

I don't know about trains from Southampton to Heathrow, as I always go to London.   Anthem is great ship.  Been on her several  times.  You will enjoy England and Anthem

5 hours ago, Jill said:

“Up coming bookings are wow! and ehhh... Not practical to back out of the "ehhh" one pretty well "stuck" with it.”

No such thing as an “ehhh” cruise! ?

It was one they changed ship, date and itinerary on... Original was nicer ship. Original had better itinerary. Original fit both kids school vacation dates. This one just the boy.  He will get to bring a buddy and they will have the time of their lives... and that will make me smile. Plus it will even the score with his sister who had her "own" trip a couple years ago.  I know Nassau real well so its not a total loss and will find things to do for the boys ....

On 5/10/2021 at 5:39 PM, deep1 said:

Up coming bookings are wow! and ehhh... Not practical to back out of the "ehhh" one pretty well "stuck" with it.   Been looking for something different to add and keep me hyped up. Had planned a couple years from now  to do a nice Trans Atlantic. Seeing one now thats talking to me, Not as long as the others. I don't wind up in some amazing Med setting on this one. Instead cool and damp Southampton, England. Kind of a "practice" for a longer fancier one.... Thinking just Oceanview as I would think that spring in north Atlantic , wouldn't be best weather for Balcony, and again a Practice" TA.  Thoughts?  Ship is Anthem. Used to see her regular basis while fishing in New Jersey and impressive machine. Not worried there. Any input?  Started digging around at some details. Southampton to Palm Beach  air fare showed insane. I'm pretty good at getting point A to point B. Looked up London Heathrow to Newark and dirt cheap. Can find dirt cheap also Newark to Palm Beach also... This sound right or should I look at air to sea?  So what would be best way to get from Southampton to London?... Bus or maybe Train? Would be kinda cool to do train... Other input???  Inspire me!

I just booked this cruise. Our travel agent suggested we book airfare through the cruise line as you don’t pay anything until Feb 2 and money back comes from RC if cancelling.

6 hours ago, Haligirl said:

I just booked this cruise. Our travel agent suggested we book airfare through the cruise line as you don’t pay anything until Feb 2 and money back comes from RC if cancelling.

Undecided on air... Through other means I tried , I saw insane expense going from Southampton to Palm Beach. Broke it down Train or Bus from Southampton to London. London to Newark was dirt cheap and I know I can snag dirt cheap Newark to Palm Beach... 

Fiance' has me hung up on pulling the trigger as she's adding loads of stuff in London. I was planning just a day but she wants one to shop at Harrods, then one to ride horses in Hyde Park (I didn't know that was a "thing"). Maybe the wax museum or Piccadilly? 

I love the wax museum, it's great fun. 

Another possible route for your flight back from London could be either Gatwick or Heathrow to MCO. British Airways and Virgin Atlantic regularly fly this route as it's very popular with Brits heading to Disney. If you use miles, I think BA is in the same alliance as American and Virgin with Delta.

I'd be better off LHR to EWR or maybe JFK  then to PBU. I know the flights to Orlando can be cheap but that leaves me in a lurch trying to get back to Palm Beach...  I have a house 40 minutes from "Cape Liberty" that I often stay at for the summer for my often seasonal work... 

On 5/10/2021 at 5:39 PM, deep1 said:

Tower of London to see the Crown Jewels. And while shopping at Harrods make sure to go to the basement market, great place for lunch

On 5/12/2021 at 5:18 PM, deep1 said:

Undecided on air... Through other means I tried , I saw insane expense going from Southampton to Palm Beach. Broke it down Train or Bus from Southampton to London. London to Newark was dirt cheap and I know I can snag dirt cheap Newark to Palm Beach... 

Fiance' has me hung up on pulling the trigger as she's adding loads of stuff in London. I was planning just a day but she wants one to shop at Harrods, then one to ride horses in Hyde Park (I didn't know that was a "thing"). Maybe the wax museum or Piccadilly? 

If you like museums you will love the Victoria and Albert museum. I also like the British Museum, but V&A more.

My wife has done TA east and west bound and she greatly prefers west. We will only go westbound from now on, but we love the TA cruises. A lot of cruisers don't like TA because there are fewer ports, but that is actually what we prefer. We're weird that way, I guess. We're on the TA which will bring the Allure to Galveston next year.

37 minutes ago, Cakemeister said:

If you like museums you will love the Victoria and Albert museum. I also like the British Museum, but V&A more.

My wife has done TA east and west bound and she greatly prefers west. We will only go westbound from now on, but we love the TA cruises. A lot of cruisers don't like TA because there are fewer ports, but that is actually what we prefer. We're weird that way, I guess. We're on the TA which will bring the Allure to Galveston next year.

When spouse retires, looking forward to TA's for that same reason. We live in US, and we were thinking about Westbound to home port where no flight is needed. Our thinking is that once we were on the ship, we were heading home and most of the logistics are done. Are we wrong in that reasoning? Thanks

Tom

4 hours ago, MrB said:

When spouse retires, looking forward to TA's for that same reason. We live in US, and we were thinking about Westbound to home port where no flight is needed. Our thinking is that once we were on the ship, we were heading home and most of the logistics are done. Are we wrong in that reasoning? Thanks

Tom

The problem is that there are too few TA cruises! ?

We are retired and have done two TA’s a year for several years now. We take the East bound in the Spring enjoying the ship on the way over and once in Europe usually stay onboard for the next cruise or pick up another ship in a different area.  We use miles for the one way trip home and do the reverse in the Fall.  These are some of our favorite cruise memories?

On 5/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, deep1 said:

Came close to taking that TA myself. Went for Ovation's Alaska May 5th instead. The wife retires in a few years, then we can TA and spend a few weeks in Europe before returning. Yes, take a jacket. In 2019, it was worthy of a jacket in early May. Copenhagen was down right cold.

Try to lunch at the Hard Rock Café on Old Park Lane. That is the original Hard Rock Café and has all the original displays (Opened June 14, 1971).
Hard Rock Cafe London on Old Park Lane, the original and first-of-its-kind restaurant, will remain on Old Park Lane and is celebrating 50 years this June! 

If they are still in some lockdown, check to make sure they are open. The food is good as well. Even if it is crowded, across the street is the store that used to be a bank. Ask for the store's downstairs tour, that is the vault. They give them all the time. A lot of Rock & Roll memorabilia. If you go in the Café, immediately turn right and sit up on what used to be the stage. That is where Paul McCarthy and Wings held their first gig. You can also get directions and take a short walk and see 3 Savile Row, John Lennon's old home. They have a small display in the front to try and keep out traffic, but do not be intimidated. London Law gives you the right to walk in and look around anywhere. You have to see the stairwell to upstairs. It is beautiful. The roof of 3 Savile Row is where the Beatles play their last concert, a free one. There is a plaque on the side of the building. I know all this because a friend of mine was Stevie Nicks Security when she went there to deliver some items and gave the employees a free concert.

Ask the story about how the Café started involving George Harrison and the Ritz down the street.  

Oh, and do not say you are looking for Randy. Always say Randall if it comes up. That was my friend's name, and he got slapped when he told a young woman his name. Other country slang can result in innocent humorous reactions.

Attached are pictures of John Lennon's house and stairwell at 3 Savile Row and the memorabilia down in the vault. If you blow up the blue plaque on the house's wall you can read that it is for the Beatles last concert on the roof.

IMG_2443.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

IMG_2429.jpeg