What's your cruise thing?

It has to be playing trivia games, lol. When we used to sail on Carnival ships, we collected many "ships-on-a-stick" and several medals. On Norwegian, it was points that could be traded in at the end of the cruise for some kind of souvenir. With Royal, lots of Royal-branded pens, key chains, luggage pulls, and those oh-so-coveted highlighters! 

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

An odd one, but, being social. I'm largely an introvert when not on a cruise ship.

Same - that’s actually why I started cruising and cruising solo, to break out of my shell. I truly feel my non cruise friends would either not recognize me or be in absolute shock at seeing me on a cruise.. and for the most part, Vice Versa. 

35 minutes ago, VoidoftheSeas said:

The food! I'm really boring most of the time with the meals I eat at home. Not a lot of variety, which I'm totally okay with. But I love trying new things on cruises.

Even though I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, I still order or try something at every meal on a cruise that I have never had before. What better time to do it, than when it's included and you don't have to pay extra for it.

Laying out by the pool or in the Solarium in only my bathing suit (swimming costume!).

When i try to lay out at the beach here, inevitably some well-doers will try to drag me 

back out to deep water.  That's bad enough, but when they start trying to pour water 

down my blowhole, then I get upset!

IT'S NOT A BLOWHOLE!!!

Exploring like a kid in a candy store. I want every inch of that ship in my memory banks. On land if I walk in a building I really don't take the time to explore my surroundings and lucky if I can navigate in and out without needing directions. 

That and neat freak in the cabin... Small space thing I guess. At home I'm lucky if I can find my desk or bed under the mountains of junk... 

8 minutes ago, rjweber3 said:

Seeing new places. We cruise for the itineraries. I am Ok with a few sea days. My wife..is...not. 

Trying new foods is also one of my favorites. Until we started  cruising I wouldn't even consider eating escargot. Now I get it all the time.

This. Although my wife does like to also experience new ships, rather than sail again on the same ship a second or third time if it can be avoided.

Doing any water or beach activities. Also trying different foods because I am a picky eater and quite frugal. Since most food is all you handle on a ship and already paid for with either the cruise fare or dinning plan....I try a lot of stuff.

I spend a lot of time with or dealing with people so I enjoy traveling solo. I especially love choosing how my day/night will go.

3 hours ago, FManke said:

As we all anticipate the restart of cruising, it made me think.

What are the kinds of things that you find yourself only doing on a cruise?

One of mine would be eating escargot. They're not easy to find on many menus, but even if they were, that's my cruise thing!

You mean the garlic butter? I kid, I kid. I also order WAY too much of the escargot on any Royal cruise I go on! ? 

3 hours ago, WesKinetic said:

Very intentionally not getting the internet package. In the normal world, I'm pretty much connected and on call 24/7. So one of the best moments of my cruise vacations is turning on that "I am out of the office and will not be checking email" notification. 

This is probably the biggest thing for me as well. My job requires me available for calls and emails at all times (often answering emails while on vacation) but when on a cruise my phone goes in the safe as soon as the cabin is available and I truly disconnect!

Sigh.............I really miss disconnecting ?

2 hours ago, FManke said:

Took my oldest to Toy Story on Ice 24yrs ago. That was enough. ?

I would definitely watch another on a cruise though!

Really challenging to photograph.  People skating quickly on a small patch of ice.  Kind of like photographing squirrels who found a large Frappucino.

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

An odd one, but, being social. I'm largely an introvert when not on a cruise ship.

Agreed.  After retirement I'm almost a hermit.  On the cruise I talk to the theatre Production Manager, members of the RC Singers and Dancers, and every Headline act, giving my elevator pitch  of free stills for their books or websites.  Hector Ruiz (Hector Is Magic), Solomon Jaye,  and ratpack singer Gary Williams are as friendly and outgoing in real life as they are in their acts.  Hector's assistant even tried to set me up with her mother in Barcelona (we'll see how that goes).

Without a couple of cameras, I'd never think about speaking to a performer or member of the production staff.

The good and bad thing about a cruise is that almost nobody knows who you are.

3 hours ago, Floski said:

Laying out by the pool or in the Solarium in only my bathing suit (swimming costume!).

When i try to lay out at the beach here, inevitably some well-doers will try to drag me 

back out to deep water.  That's bad enough, but when they start trying to pour water 

down my blowhole, then I get upset!

IT'S NOT A BLOWHOLE!!!

OMG.... Allure better sail, I have to meet you! Seems like your family and mine will get along great. What a sense of humor. (Not creepy like) I will be on the look out as I will be for @twangster. Just to high five and cheers our love of sailing. 

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

This is probably the biggest thing for me as well. My job requires me available for calls and emails at all times (often answering emails while on vacation) but when on a cruise my phone goes in the safe as soon as the cabin is available and I truly disconnect!

Sigh.............I really miss disconnecting ?

A cruise is the one time I don't have to worry about the inevitable "I know you're on vacation, but . . . " texts.  ?

One by far, twilight on the high-seas...i love seeing the atmosphere & distant conditions during twilight...love it.

2nd: a good beverage(?) while enjoying the pool with the Mrs. & friends; and, specifically on Oasis Class, a good beverage(?) at Trellis Bar during the early evening, with the Mrs. friends, and strangers.

Finally...Mingling. People are interesting & share really fascinating tales & experiences. I really enjoy the many conversations with strangers & believe it or not, one can actually learn something new or pov from the casual interactions. 

Putting myself first, and not feeling guilty about it.

I'm a widowed dad of 3 kids. My wife passed away when our twin girls were 3 and our son was 6. Now that the girls are 18 and my son is 21 I can cruise solo and not feel bad about not spending every second and every dollar on them.

They are great kids, but I need my "me" time.

1 hour ago, alamode123 said:

Putting myself first, and not feeling guilty about it.

I'm a widowed dad of 3 kids. My wife passed away when our twin girls were 3 and our son was 6. Now that the girls are 18 and my son is 21 I can cruise solo and not feel bad about not spending every second and every dollar on them.

They are great kids, but I need my "me" time.

I'd say you've earned a solo cruise

For me it is the unplugging of the electronics to the outside world and visiting outside places. My workplace is worldwide so I receive emails and calls 24/7 and have not had a non-communication vacation since January 2019, even though we have forced "vacation reduction" during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Going in "airplane" mode when I step onboard the ship is one of the big things I have missed during this pandemic. Visiting foreign ports and seeing old friends is what we are getting more excited for.

Living inland makes sitting on the balcony watching the deep blue sea as we sail toward ports of call, a special event for us. In some areas of the Caribbean the flying fish come flying out of the waves and really put on a show so couple it with a nice glass of wine and we are happy cruisers?

Staying up late!  I am an early to bed girl at home, but I always want to do "one more thing" on a cruise.  

Also, not worrying about if anyone else needs anything.  I don't need to make sure I've got snacks, drinks, entertainment for my family on a cruise.  (They do still ask if I've brought the sunscreen ? )