Are there wheelchairs available for use??

Royal will provide wheelchairs to get on and off the ship at the start and end of the cruise but does not provide them to guests for the full cruise.

An accessibility brochure can be found here:

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Accessible_Seas/20074179_Accessible_Seas_Brochure_2020.pdf

If your cruise includes CocoCay there are beach wheelchairs provided on a first come basis however Royal does not offer crew to push the wheelchair around CocoCay.

If you anticipate requiring a wheelchair on board you are advised to bring your own or rent one from a 3rd party that offers delivery and pickup service from the ship.

From the Q&A in the above brochure:

ASSISTIVE DEVICES

Do you provide wheelchairs or scooters?

We provide complimentary wheelchairs for getting on and off the ship. If you require a wheelchair or scooter during the cruise, you can bring your own or rent one from a company that provides rentals for cruises.

Can I bring my own assistive devices with me?

Yes, you may bring and use wheelchairs, mobility scooters, walkers, canes and other assistive devices onboard our ships. Due to safety reasons, Segways® may not be used onboard.

Must I store my assistive device in my stateroom? Yes, assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation.

Can my assistive device fit through the stateroom door?

If your assistive device is 23 inches or less, it will fit through a standard stateroom door. If your assistive device is 32 inches or less, it will fit through an accessible stateroom door.

No personal experience, just going off observations from multiple sailings.

If you happened to get injured during the voyage I've seen ship wheelchairs lent out (not sure about any rental fees). However, I'm sure the wheelchair wouldn't be allowed off at a port of call. Royal's private destinations (CocoCay and Labadee) do offer complimentary beach wheelchairs for guest use.

For someone that has become exhausted while on the ship. I'm sure wheelchair transport can be arranged back to their stateroom.

My own experience only, anyone else's mileage may vary: I once badly sprained my ankle on Oasis-class ship, fairly early on in the sailing.  I was provided old-fashioned crutches.  We stayed in Boardwalk balcony, almost at the very end - needless to say crutches made for a very long, miserable trek anywhere out of the cabin.  Next day at the follow up with the ship doctor, we've asked if it would be possible to get a wheelchair, and were given one to use for the rest of the sailing.  I was very grateful for that concession.

11 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

No personal experience, just going off observations from multiple sailings.

If you happened to get injured during the voyage I've seen ship wheelchairs lent out (not sure about any rental fees). However, I'm sure the wheelchair wouldn't be allowed off at a port of call. Royal's private destinations (CocoCay and Labadee) do offer complimentary beach wheelchairs for guest use.

That was indeed my experience - re: no wheelchair allowed to be taken off the ship at the port of call.

From personal experience - I tore my ACL on the flight to friends' house the day before going to Barcelona for a T/A.  They had crutches and an appointment at the Doc-in-the-box waiting for me.  The cost of renting a manual wheelchair from one of the usual scooter rental companies for the cruise was about $175.

There was a lot of walking in Barcelona and the crutches were tiring to use, so I bought a good wheelchair for about $250 and used it around the city and on the ship.  United (and I'm sure all other carriers) flew the chair for free.  To me, it was well worth the money spent.  Note that if you plan ahead, there can be quite a bit of durable medical equipment at second hand stores for almost nothing.  Or you can get a standard wheelchair on Amazon for about $110.

The cab drivers in Barcelona were top notch.  5 of us were at a cab stand and a driver stopped, got out, and called the dispatcher for a van that could take all of us and the wheelchair.

I've noticed that a lot of places have transport chairs (4 small wheels) for use instead of standard wheelchairs.  They require a second person to push you.

Best wishes on your cruise,

Brad