Internet available ONLY if you purchase package??

No free internet access onboard. Access for a 24 hour continuous period can be purchased for around $30 (if I'm recalling correctly). Later on in the cruise they might offer shorter time blocks at a much lower cost.

35 minutes ago, Walt Golas said:

How about cell phone usage, can you use as a hotspot?

You won’t have cell reception on board, except through what the ship makes available. And that doesn’t fall under your regular carrier plan or even the low-cost international plan like was mentioned. It is VERY expensive, especially for data.

If you need wifi while on board at sea, you’ll have to purchase a package (or daily rate if offered). In port, you will likely have access to cell service through your carrier, and can then use your phone as a hotspot if needed.

Here's a little trick I learned on Symphony while checking out the PCs in the Library. If someone forgets to log off, you can get a little free access to check-in on airline flights, read emails, social media, etc. While it doesn't work all the time (and I certainly wouldn't rely on it), it allowed me to knock out a few things without the Internet package on our last sailing.

Going forward, we plan on getting the basic package just so we can consistently keep in touch with friends and family back home...depending on other folks forgetting to log off one of the Library PCs really isn't a good plan.

23 hours ago, twangster said:

Celebrity now includes basic internet. 

SilverSea also includes internet.

Royal Caribbean does not include internet.  

Since I do not want or need internet service on board, I'm glad it's cost is not built into my cruise fare.  No cruse line gives it for free.