New to Cruising? You might not want to find a bargain first time out. Let me explain...

MrB

My spouse and I started cruising on RCG with a Holiday 4 night trip from Port Canaveral to Coco Cay and Nassau a few years back. The port is local(ish), no airfare, easy drive. The timing was right (spouse has shutdown from Christmas to New Years). We looked on the Royal Caribbean website, booked the cruise without much comparison as we had no reference. It was not a cheap cruise, but within our budget at the time.

We specifically did not want a bargain cruise because we were "Buying Information". We wanted to know if cruising was for us (it is) and whether cruise pricing was worth it (it is). Had we gotten a bargain cruise, we would have been filtering everything through the bargain versus straight-up enjoyment. You are willing to put up with things or see things differently if you believe that you got things as a bargain.

The money spent on the cruise reflected that "buying information" ethos. 

1. We parked onsite as close to the dock as possible regardless of price. Awesome. We'll never park anywhere else on the short cruises. Longer cruises, we'll get friend or Uber to drive.
  2. We knew we didn't need the drink packages (non-drinkers).
  3. We purchased a photo package. Not worth it for us, but worth spending the money ONCE to find that out.
  4. Went on a couple of RCI excursions, found them to be OK at best and fun enough, but we found out we need to be very circumspect on excursions.
  5. We found out that spouse doesn't like Spa stuff. I wouldn't have guessed that without trying it out and spending the money. Well worth it to find out.
  6. We found the entire experience fantastic at full holiday price

Because we paid full price and still absolutely loved it, we knew that the experience was worth it, especially if we could find the bargains in the future. We knew that the bargain was not driving the decision. For instance, 6 months after the 1st cruise, a flash sale came up on the same cruise itinerary and we booked it and went cheaper and had a great time.