Overseas cruise requirements ?

I would like to cruise RCL's Odyssey out of Rome in September. Has anyone taken an overseas cruise recently? Italy doesn't currently allow US citizens as far as I know. RCL offers the cruise on it's website. Does RCL have a workaround that allows US citizens to travel? Thanks for any help! Any info about US citizens cruising out of Barcelona, Rome or Athens would be helpful.

The person I spoke with today at RCL didn’t really sound like she knew. 

Europe and Italy are currently making reopening plans that include American tourists starting in June. You should be good by the time Odessa arrives, but would recommend booking refundable/transferable airfare just in case.

• In an interview with the NY Times, European Union (EU) authorities announced the intention to accept visitors who have received E.U.-approved vaccines to travel from North America to Europe this summer – no further details are available at this time

A representative from the Italian tourist board said yesterday in an interview with the British TV news channel Sky News that Italy was planning to open up to third-country tourists, including from the US and the UK,  as early as the 12th of May. I don't have a link to share but I did actually watch the interview, so it's first-hand information. 

That said, I'm not sure where you're seeing Odyssey sailing out of Rome in September, as she's sailing from Haifa, Israel, through the end of October. Unless you're talking about 2022? In which case heaven help us all if things aren't more or less back to "normal" by then.

Odyssey was originally to sail from Rome but with the pandemic they moved the ship to Haifa in Israel.  At the moment you have to reside in Israel to book on her.  

Celebrity is sailing the Apex from Athens in June and Greece is open to US tourists.  You read about the travel requirements here:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/greece-travel-requirements

Royal will sail Anthem from the UK this summer but at the moment you have to reside in the UK to book her due to the pandemic.

34 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

It looks like Royal still has it listed wrong on their website. They are even still taking bookings from Rome. ?‍♂️

There are some other good European options this summer. I would suggest waiting for resumption announcements before booking.

In 2022 Odyssey sails from Rome.

i thought we were talking about 2021.

45 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

It looks like Royal still has it listed wrong on their website. They are even still taking bookings from Rome. ?‍♂️

Odyssey does not show up on Royal's site as sailing from Rome in September 2021, only September 2022. That's why I queried what site the OP was looking at and whether they meant 2021 or 2022 since they didn't mention the year in their post.

The only ship currently showing from Rome in September 2021 is Harmony.

20 hours ago, Burghball said:

I would like to cruise RCL's Odyssey out of Rome in September. Has anyone taken an overseas cruise recently? Italy doesn't currently allow US citizens as far as I know. RCL offers the cruise on it's website. Does RCL have a workaround that allows US citizens to travel? Thanks for any help! Any info about US citizens cruising out of Barcelona, Rome or Athens would be helpful.

The person I spoke with today at RCL didn’t really sound like she knew. 

I'm no expert but I would suggest if you are serious about taking a European cruise that you look at 2022 and not bother with 2021 at all.  Even with Europe potentially reopening to Americans there could still be restrictions put in place by local governments on who can cruise out of their home ports. 

Israel is a perfect example, the country has already begun a phased reopening to Americans and by July Israel will be fully reopened to fully vaccinated Americans.  However, if one thinks as a fully vaccinated American they will be able to sail on Odyssey out of Haifia one would be greatly mistaken and I think the same is true in the UK which is also making plans to reopen to Americans.  I think the only people who can book a cruise on Anthem out of the UK for now are UK residents only.

Odyssey of the Seas has sailings scheduled from Haifa, Israel through the 10/22/2021 sailing, after which the next scheduled sailing appears as 11/15/2021 from Ft. Lauderdale, FL.  The sailings from Haifa are currently open only for vaccinated residents of Israel (and those under 18 who have a negative test).

Jewel of the Seas has sailings scheduled from Limassol, Cyprus through the 10/23/2021 sailing, after which the next scheduled sailing appears as 11/15/2021 from Miami, FL. The sailings on Jewel of the Seas are open to all with proof of vaccination (and those under 18 who have a negative test), the only requirement is being able to get into Cyprus, which will open to vaccinated travelers from the United States and a number of other countries on May 10, 2021.

Harmony of the Seas is expected to be sailing out of Europe, probably Spain, but Royal Caribbean has not announced anything publicly yet. It is expected to be for vaccinated travelers only (and those under 18 who have a negative test).

Anthem of the Seas is sailing out of Southampton, England through the 10/9/2021 sailing, after which the next scheduled sailing appears as 11/7/2021 from Cape Liberty, NJ. Currently these sailings are open only to vaccinated UK residents (and those under 18 who have a negative test).

Quantum of the Seas is sailing out of Singapore. It is open to Singapore residents only, though has no vaccination requirements, just negative test requirements.

Adventure of the Seas has sailings scheduled from Nassau, The Bahamas through the 9/11/2021 sailing, after which the next scheduled sailing appears as 10/29/2021 from Galveston, TX. These sailings are open to all vaccinated travelers (and those under 18 who have a negative test). The Bahamas is open to all vaccinated travelers (and those under 18 who have a negative test).

Vision of the Seas has sailings scheduled from Bermuda through the 8/28/2021 sailing, after which the next scheduled sailing appears as 9/5/2021 from San Juan, PR. These sailings are open to all vaccinated travelers (and those under 18 who have a negative test). Bermuda is open to all vaccinated travelers (and those under 18 who have a negative test), but you should check for various exceptions and other requirements directly.