Free Alcohol on-board?

Okay, I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm not an alcoholic - I'm travelling on LOTS in August with my 7 y.o. daughter and have no intention of getting the drink package or really even drinking if I have to pay for it (going to take my 2 allotted bottles of wine though  :D ).

Anyway, I was looking through some old cruise compasses and saw where there were events such as Champagne meet and greet, or tequila tasting etc. Are those for certain RCCL members only (e.g. Diamond Plus) or do they cost additional? I'm not planning on spending money for drinks but I'm not opposed to grabbing a free glass of something while on-board if it's being offered  :rolleyes: So.....are there opportunities for having a little drink without it costing?

Thanks  :)

Tastings are generally at a set cost and include a few drinks.  They're usually a good deal in that way, but not free.  Most events I can think of that involve complimentary drinks require either a certain tear C & A or other affiliation.  Perhaps someone can think of something I'm not.  One possibility is CC Roll Call events, not sure though.

On the cruise lines I've been on previously (haven't sailed Royal yet) if you go to the art auction a glass of champagne is provided and is completely free. It's actually entertaining if you've never been to an art auction.

Good point.  I can't confirm that Royal does this, but it would seem likely.  Is a common thing.

On the cruise lines I've been on previously (haven't sailed Royal yet) if you go to the art auction a glass of champagne is provided and is completely free. It's actually entertaining if you've never been to an art auction.

This is true on the Royal also. The Captain's Reception has free champagne too.

The art auction and capt"s  reception do serve champagne. The art auction is free and they give out raffle tickets as well.  They are interesting and I have seen some incredible bidding happen.  You would be surprised at some some of the art work that will be shown as well.  So free champagne and a chance to win a free painting.   You might not like a lot of the art work but so what. FREE

...... but one time we got a free glass of champagne.  It was horrible, had to be about $2 a gallon.  

You can bet your bootie it isn't Dom or Cristal...vbg.  I have enjoyed "open bar" on CCL as a upper level returning guest....but those things are by invitation only and each guest will receive their personal invite.  No friends invited....they never offer  a "cabin" invite.    

Okay, I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm not an alcoholic - I'm traveling on LOTS in August with my 7 y.o. daughter and have no intention of getting the drink package or really even drinking if I have to pay for it (going to take my 2 allotted bottles of wine though  :D ).

Anyway, I was looking through some old cruise compasses and saw where there were events such as Champagne meet and greet, or tequila tasting etc. Are those for certain RCCL members only (e.g. Diamond Plus) or do they cost additional? I'm not planning on spending money for drinks but I'm not opposed to grabbing a free glass of something while on-board if it's being offered  :rolleyes: So.....are there opportunities for having a little drink without it costing?

Thanks  :)

While I let everyone else throw their opinions (Some Very Wrong!!) I'll tell you the lowdown!

In the most Recent Cruise Compass Posted on the sight  Here are the FREE Tastings that you are asking about...  Not what the others are talking about!

Day 2 - Liberty Beer Tasting

Day 4 - Free Tortuga Rum & Coke and Liquor Tasting Event.

Day 6 - Makeovers & Mimosas

Day 6 - Free Liquor Tasting Event

Those are the ones I could find, but I may have missed a few.  As some of the others have said there is typically Champagne for the art auction.  It is listed as Champagne Art Auction, however it was not listed in the Cruise Compass.  If you read them completely I'm sure you may find more or different ones then those I have listed for you.