Parking at Port Canaveral

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

On site parking is quite expensive.  Any recommendations for reliable off site parking?

We stay at the Residence Inn across the street from the Port. They will allow you to leave your car (can't recall the cost but cheaper than the terminal) and take the shuttle to the terminal. There is also a park and shuttle place but I have never used it. 

We will be flying into Orlando, staying at the Marriot nearby.  Daughter’s car only seats 4 so my son & nephew will take Cortrans shuttle & the rest of us will drive & meet them at the terminal.  I found the veteran’s site a PP referred to - Lots of Honor.  Hubby is a vet so I will look into that one. 

thanks all!

We live local (25 miles or so) to Port Canaveral and park onsite. But that so far has only been for short cruises. If and when we are able to take longer cruises out of Port Canaveral (after spouse retirement), we would consider other parking or get someone to drive us (friend or Uber.)

For now, for us, onsite is amazing. Get your bags, leave terminal door, see your car within 200 meter walk, start the car, go home. We would much rather pay for close parking than for a drink package. Reduces pre-and-post ship friction.

Granted, our situation might be different. We have a very pleasant 45 minute drive along the ocean or riverfront, and then pull into the onsite parking and then walk through security and check-in. We want to make this as completely stress-free and un-airport-like as we can. Onsite parking is a big key to that. No shuttles, no waiting, etc.

15 minutes ago, Pooch said:

$17 a day versus $9.  The cheapo in me can’t pay that.  The difference pays for the shuttle 2 of us will need from our hotel by MCO to the port. 

Absolutely understand. 

When other modes of transport are involved, offsite starts to make more sense.

We're lucky to have Port Canaveral (closest) and Port Everglades (much further away) in easy morning-of-cruise drive. With that, we can splurge for the onsite parking to luxuriate in the lower stress levels. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

If taking a shuttle from Orlando to the port why park near the port?

There will be 6 of us and my daughter’s car only seats 4.  So R/T shuttle for 2 will be $80 plus 8 days parking for her car $80+ for a total of about $160.  If anyone has a better suggestion, I’m all ears.

If you could get a great rate look at renting a minivan or full size SUV. I've heard the one-way rentals between MCO and Port Canaveral can be cheap at times.

Alamo and Enterprise are near the port. Hertz is close by as well.

19 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Not sure I’d pay twice as much to park on site no matter how close I lived.  My family calls me “creatively frugal”!

The feeling it great walking off the ship, collecting your luggage, loading luggage in to the vehicle, and getting on the road.

Great not having to figure out where the shuttle to the lot is. Loading yourself on the shuttle, searching for you luggage that is off loaded, hauling your bags across an open parking lot, then final loading up the vehicle and hitting the road.

Now some stress can be taken away if you utilize the chauffeur method. Designate an individual to take the shuttle and bring the vehicle back to the port and pick everyone up.

2 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Now some stress can be taken away if you utilize the chauffeur method. Designate an individual to take the shuttle and bring the vehicle back to the port and pick everyone up.

I like that idea!

In many ways the same question of parking at the terminal versus parking off site applies to most airports.  Parking at an airport terminal can cost upwards of $20 to $30 per day.  Parking off site and taking a shuttle can be 1/4 or 1/3 of that.  

I have gone both ways.  When landing late at night or after a full day of air travel it's very nice to be able to walk to the car and go.  Schlepping bags to a bus and riding to a remote parking lot sucks but for a longer trip the difference becomes substantial.  

For me when I flew to cruise I had to add an extra day to stay in a hotel the night before the cruise so the parking math was even more pronounced.

My last home airport was $26 per day for terminal parking and $8 per day for remote parking.  Third party sites offered coupons and such if you could tolerate an even longer shuttle ride getting it down to $4 to $5 per day.  During hail season I desired covered parking so that reduced the gap between airport garage costs and 3rd party covered spots both of which could fill up at times.

At the end of the day you do the math and decide if the cost difference is worth it for you.

Thanks to all for your ideas. This was all much easier when it was just hubby me daughter & son all fitting in one car.  But since my brother & nephew signed on, it’s become more complicated.  I’m going to price out all you suggestions.

??