CDC Guidance for US cruises- 98% Crew, 95% Pax vaccinated. Are you OK with that?

MrB

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

It seems to me the CDC has moved from making the CSO unworkable for cruise lines and progressed it to making it so very few cruisers would want to go on one. 

You can't enjoy a full service multi course meal with your mask off.  

Come On Man GIF by memecandy

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

32 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

And "Restricted" which are the revenue cruises bound by the CSO

I'm thinking the simulated is the virtual ones in the line up that are run when all pieces are in place for relations to land based stuff such as quarantine facilities, testing sights, transport to home, checked in, etc. 

Pretty sure the "restricted" is the test cruises themselves  the ones that actually go out with 10% + of capacity for minimum over night,  with cdc observing etc. 

I have not been able to digest all 291 pages of the most recent stuff to see if these draconian mask and other "protocols" are for voyages going forward. So far I find that they are indeed in effect for the "test cruises" but not others... 

11 minutes ago, deep1 said:

I'm thinking the simulated is the virtual ones in the line up that are run when all pieces are in place for relations to land based stuff such as quarantine facilities, testing sights, transport to home, checked in, etc. 

Pretty sure the "restricted" is the test cruises themselves  the ones that actually go out with 10% + of capacity for minimum over night,  with cdc observing etc. 

Revenue cruises all along have been called that, not restricted. I may be wrong but that's the gist I'm getting from this. 

At this point, and with the CDC's track record, unless they specifically say otherwise, I have to assume the restrictions are for all revenue sailings, regardless of test sailings or vaccinated ones. 

Edited by Josh C
remove image

9 minutes ago, deep1 said:

Revenue cruises all along have been called that, not restricted. I may be wrong but that's the gist I'm getting from this. 

No, restricted are the revenue cruises bound by the CSO.

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

No, restricted are the revenue cruises bound by the CSO.

I don't see that all the rules especially the draconian ones  apply to  "all" the cruises. I do see where it is applied to the test ones but do not see in the wording that it all applies to all...

10 minutes ago, deep1 said:

I don't see that all the rules especially the draconian ones  apply to  "all" the cruises. I do see where it is applied to the test ones but do not see in the wording that it all applies to all...

The guidance outright says "simulated and restricted" cruises.  "Restricted" in the original CSO is specifically referring to the revenue cruises under the CSO.

35 minutes ago, twangster said:

It seems to me the CDC has moved from making the CSO unworkable for cruise lines and progressed it to making it so very few cruisers would want to go on one. 

I'm not sure the cruise lines would want to do cruises under those requirements either. You'd basically making every staffer turn into mask police.  Those poor MDR wait staff.

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Remember this is the same CDC that just came out with outdoor summer camp guidance saying kids have to wear masks at all times, even if they spend their entire day outdoors.

This is what Ron DeSantis is talking about the CDC knows transmission is low out door but yet they put out these outdated policies that are completely contradictory to the science and data the CDC has sworn they are following. 

Back to cruising the CSO is completely unworkable by most cruise lines and even though I'm fully vaccinated I think it is shameful for the CDC to try and use the cruise industry as a vehicle to force people to get vaccinated which is what it appears as though they are attempting to do. 

I wan't cruising to resume but if the CDC stands firm on 95% vaccination rate for passengers then the expectation that I have is there should be NO masks, NO capacity limits, NO social distancing requirements.  I should be able to eat and drink while walking around the ship and not have to deal with the restrictions we see in place on ship sailing out of Singapore. If the CDC is driven by the science and data, the science and data shows vaccinated individuals can not transmit the virus.  Therefore if 98% or crew and 95% of passengers are vaccinated there is no need for ANY restrictions onboard a cruise ship.  But of course we all know this isn't what the CDC is recommending they want people to get vaccinated but still put up with restrictions.

12 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

This is what Ron DeSantis is talking about the CDC knows transmission is low out door but yet they put out these outdated policies that are completely contradictory to the science and data the CDC has sworn they are following. 

Back to cruising the CSO is completely unworkable by most cruise lines and even though I'm fully vaccinated I think it is shameful for the CDC to try and use the cruise industry as a vehicle to force people to get vaccinated which is what it appears as though they are attempting to do. 

I wan't cruising to resume but if the CDC stands firm on 95% vaccination rate for passengers then the expectation that I have is there should be NO masks, NO capacity limits, NO social distancing requirements.  I should be able to eat and drink while walking around the ship and not have to deal with the restrictions we see in place on ship sailing out of Singapore. If the CDC is driven by the science and data, the science and data shows vaccinated individuals can not transmit the virus.  Therefore if 98% or crew and 95% of passengers are vaccinated there is no need for ANY restrictions onboard a cruise ship.  But of course we all know this isn't what the CDC is recommending they want people to get vaccinated but still put up with restrictions.

This is what I don’t understand, what is the difference between a ship sailing with vaccinated guests now and in the future? The risk is exactly the same. Following that logic, they are saying these restrictions will be in place forever. I never thought anyone would out do our uk government scientists in stupidity!

8 minutes ago, icf75 said:

This is what I don’t understand, what is the difference between a ship sailing with vaccinated guests now and in the future? The risk is exactly the same. Following that logic, they are saying these restrictions will be in place forever. I never thought anyone would out do our uk government scientists in stupidity!

The only reason I can come up with, is that the CDC is providing a way for revenue sailings to begin sooner than those that have to go through the test/simulated sailings process. (I know, why would it matter if cruises already aren't resuming until July at this point, since the cruise lines will move heaven and earth to get those test/simulated sailings done by the beginning of July?) The more I read, the more I'm convinced the CDC is going to do everything it possibly can to destroy the cruise lines. 

At this point, unless they rescind the CSO, or clarify that restrictions do not apply to vaccinated cruises, nothing else they say matters as far as I'm concerned. 

Reading through the "mask order" contained within and linked to by todays order...... dated January... Lots changed since then... 

Then we have 6 feet when CDC recently reduced to 3 feet?... Did they go back to 6 or is this all old stuff that hasn't updated?  I'm not sure... 

I will wait for RCL to hand me definite protocols when sailing time comes  before I have a hissy over any of this.... 

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Maybe this is like the CAS update a few weeks ago where it wasn't fully ready to be published but they put it out there anyways.   

I bet the CDC cruise ship team is celebrating May 5 at a bar, maskless, gathered around a phone reading our comments and laughing their butts off.

With so much of the particulars in this being months old including the mask link and others, you may well be on to something here... Can't put my finger on it but this thing seems dated and isn't right...  Again, things are so fluid  what ever is today, likely wont be a few days from now... 

Do the math...

October 30, 2020 Update

On October 30, 2020, CDC issued a Framework for Conditional Sailing Order. This Order is effective upon signature and was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon on November 4, 2020.

May 5, 2021 Update

On May 5, 2021, CDC released the next two phases of the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO) for cruise ships operating or seeking to operate in U.S. waters.

We've been waiting 188 days for the phase 1 and 2.  

1 8 8  D A Y S

Seems about right considering the CDC was completely asleep for the first 6 months of the virus.  

I did it folks.  Just like I said I would.

I went to a bar, drank a beer and ate a grilled mahi sandwich.  

In retrospect reading CDC guidance I realize my life is now over.  I didn't wear a mask for the entire meal.   I ate bite after bite, drinking swig after swig of glorious food and beverage indoors at a bar.  Even though I'm fully vaccinated and even though I left a nice tip my life is over per CDC guidance.

Apparently I vaccinated for no reason. 

In case I am whisked off tomorrow and placed on a ventilator you'll know why I haven't stopped by the message boards.  

At least I'll go knowing the CDC saved me from a cruise ship given their guidance didn't save me from myself.

28 minutes ago, deep1 said:

With so much of the particulars in this being months old including the mask link and others, you may well be on to something here... Can't put my finger on it but this thing seems dated and isn't right...  Again, things are so fluid  what ever is today, likely wont be a few days from now... 

The information posted today was regarding the TEST cruises - so I'm with you on your thoughts. They did state they would NOT be offering anything for phase 4. So, my question is ..... why make the test cruises have so many hoops? My assumption would be that it is because eventually they may have some unvaccinated travelers.  Ugh .... I don't know. Would Royal just come out with their plans so we know and don't have to interpret this BS. 

So, the restrictions on the "restricted" passenger voyages will no longer be in effect on November 2, 2021? The Conditional Sailing Order will expire on that date, or:

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency, OR
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations. 

I just re-read pp 31-40 of the CSO, and besides the social distancing, mask-wearing and sanitation measures, there's also the ban of sailings  longer than 7 nights, for the restricted passenger voyages. Am I missing anything else? 

I realize that masks are not fun to wear, but if wearing one in public places means that I can cruise, I am okay with it. My only confusion is in the wording about wearing masks during extended mealtimes. Maybe it won't matter anyway, if we are socially distanced enough from those who are not in our "travel bubble" - we'd be too far away to spread any germs and thus, wouldn't need to mask up between bites. 

It's not hard to read "between-the-lines" that the CDC is rooting for crews and guests to be vaccinated. Personally, I'd feel better if the adults on my cruise are all vaccinated (or as many as possible.) 

Getting back to the November 2 ending of the CSO, I am hoping that things like masking up on cruises will go away at that point, especially if the virus has been better contained in North America by that time. 

8 minutes ago, Sushitex said:

So, the restrictions on the "restricted" passenger voyages will no longer be in effect on November 2, 2021? The Conditional Sailing Order will expire on that date, or:

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations. 

I just re-read pp 31-40 of the CSO, and besides the social distancing, mask-wearing and sanitation measures, there's also the ban of sailings  longer than 7 nights, for the restricted passenger voyages. Am I missing anything else? 

I realize that masks are not fun to wear, but if wearing one in public places means that I can cruise, I am okay with it. My only confusion is in the wording about wearing masks during extended mealtimes. Maybe it won't matter anyway, if we are socially distanced enough from those who are not in our "travel bubble" - we'd be too far away to spread any germs and thus, wouldn't need to mask up between bites. 

It's not hard to read "between-the-lines" that the CDC is rooting for crews and guests to be vaccinated. Personally, I'd feel better if the adults on my cruise are all vaccinated (or as many as possible.) 

Getting back to the November 2 ending of the CSO, I am hoping that things like masking up on cruises will go away at that point, especially if the virus has been better contained in North America by that time. 

For me, if I have to mask indoor areas (walking to dinner, hallways, etc) -- I can deal with that. If I have to mask while sitting on the lounger near the pool -- I'm out. And I am not sure there will be many folk who will sail on a Caribbean Cruise that requires masks OUTSIDE on SOCIALLY DISTANCED chairs ..... #Science

It's probably because I live in sunny, HOT Texas, lol, even when I do go out on the pool deck to get some sun, it's usually for not a very long time. I haven't been on a Royal ship yet that offers those weekly spa passes (the ones that get you into the spas that offer the thermal suites, especially those wonderful ceramic loungers.) I've spent some very relaxing times in those thermal suites on other cruise lines. I guess wearing a mask in those areas wouldn't be fun, either.  

But, I really am hoping that all of this debating about wearing a mask while on cruises becomes a moot point on November 2, when the CSO expires, and again, fingers crossed, the restrictions (including mask-wearing) go away. 

11 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Until this guidance gets published to the CDC website, I'll continue to believe this was just a trial balloon to the cruise lines.

And remember the guidance wasn't 95% vaccinated, it was an enticement to not have to do test cruises.  

Bait and switch

1 hour ago, Sushitex said:

But once you get on board, you're not longer treated as being vaccinated. You have to act like no one is vaccinated or tested.

People! You are trying to understand and make sense of this CDC stuff? STOP.

Pray for a favorable Judgement in State of FL v. HHS on May 12th.

If that doesn't happen here is my plan:

Volunteer for a "test cruise" as soon as I can do that. Quietly board as if I'm playing along. Find a CDC monitor and laugh in his face.

I'm booked on Apex out of Athens, 8n Greek Isles. Enjoy that cruise from a country that doesn't have to deal with the idiocy of the CDC.

Wait for this to sort itself out and sail on Equinox out of PEV in August.

I'm vaccinated, I have a greater risk of dying traveling to the cruise than dying on it from covid. Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." I love me some Ben!  100 years from now Benjamin Franklin will still be quoted, the CDC, not so much.

Some have expressed that they think the test cruises are a good approach… I totally disagree.  One thing I learned over a 40 year career as a government contractor is that you never let a government civil servant get into your domain/backyard if you can legally avoid it… they are there to find fault.

May 12th. I'm betting the cruise lines know that FL has a strong case and is hopefully standing by. If the hearing gets postponed (HHS just submitted thousands of pages of documents to the court demonstrating they have a plan via the CSO protocols) or the judge rules unfavorably on the FL claim, they'll get to work on dismantling the CSO to the extent they can. 

Just checking in.

Day 2 after my brush with death by visiting a bar.  So far no symptoms but we all know that means nothing.  

The CDC has me convinced I may have contracted the common bar variant.  No symptoms, no infection, no spread but a sudden urge to run free without a mask. 

Fearing an outbreak of the bar variant that would result in large numbers maskless with no risk to anyone except the CDC budget the CDC has created a bar task force to determine how to subtly kill the bar industry.  CDC technical instructions expected in 200 days for phase 1 & 2 bar guidance.

The cruise lines should just get 1 or 2 ships certified and then use it as a shuttle from the FL ports to the Bahamas. I'm guessing it could leave in the morning and arrive same day.  Check in could be done in US and then just move everyone from ship to ship in Nassau or Grand Bahama.

Publicly tell the CDC to F themselves, and then set some reasonal restrictions for both vaccinated and non vaccinated cruises.  Let people choose which one - masks/social distancing on non vaccinated, no masks on vaccinated.

@twangsterI manage a restaurant, we have had guest in since Jan. I got vaccinated in April, 1-shot J&J, and apparently I should be dead. All of these people eating, drinking, and being merry in my vicinity should have given me the Cub's variant of Covid.

I have taken hikes, mask-less as I am alone, since the whole thing started because duh fresh air. The CDC really does have it out for the cruise industry because they won't even apply their science to the situation. These same people in the beginning said no need for mask. I don't understand why they won't differentiate between cruises full of vaccinated pax and those who just take the test. Let's hope the cruises lines really fight back.

Here is the CDC's Interim Public Health Recommendation from April 27, 2021. This was copied from their report.

• Guiding principles for fully vaccinated people are now provided.
  • Underscores that immunocompromised people need to consult their healthcare provider about these recommendations, even if fully vaccinated.
  • Fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask outdoors, except in certain crowded settings and venues.
  • Clarification that fully vaccinated workers no longer need to be restricted from work following an exposure as long as they are asymptomatic.
  • Fully vaccinated residents of non-healthcare congregate settings no longer need to quarantine following a known exposure.
  • Fully vaccinated asymptomatic people without an exposure may be exempted from routine screening testing, if feasible