Five short weeks on Saturday(5/8/2021) until first cruise out of Nassau

For those of you booked on June cruises that leave from Nassau, have you received any information about anything?  I would imagine they would have wrapped up on embarkation procedures and basic stuff for those booked on the first or second cruise.

I think they are hoping to have CDC guidance (actual meaningful guidance not the BS sent out so far) so they can conform to it as much as possible and then point to it as an example of being compliant.

It would also make it an easier sell to US customers to say "see we are CDC compliant just like back home".

Unfortunately the CDC doesnt seem able to get its head out of its ass so my guess is Royal will just have to publish what they think makes sense after waiting as long as possible.

Prices  just plummeted for the Nassau cruises. Interior was $769 for the cheapest cruise, now it's $594.

Also this now appears at the top:

VACCINE REQUIREMENT
Adult guests (18+) on this sailing must provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination, completed 2 weeks prior to sailing. Guests may need to provide a negative RT-PCR test result to enter the country their cruise departs from; age requirements vary. A Health Questionnaire must be completed within 24 hours prior to sailing. Booked guests will be provided full details before their cruise.

No mention of anyone needing a pre-cruise test.

Interesting, email this morning says that we still need a negative test in addition to a vaccine.  Hopefully that changes by the time they send out the actual details.

Glad I canceled everything except Adventure and Grandeur sailings this year.  On one hand it sucks because I was trying to rush to the 340 points for reduced solo supplement...on the other hand it's a relief to not play the "will it / won't it" game every time I saw them in the planner.

30 minutes ago, joshgates said:

Interesting, email this morning says that we still need a negative test in addition to a vaccine.  Hopefully that changes by the time they send out the actual details.

Glad I canceled everything except Adventure and Grandeur sailings this year.  On one hand it sucks because I was trying to rush to the 340 points for reduced solo supplement...on the other hand it's a relief to not play the "will it / won't it" game every time I saw them in the planner.

The solo 340 discount is a trap.  Once achieved it makes it very hard to sail another line solo because Royal is almost always cheaper.

On 5/6/2021 at 7:33 AM, jticarruthers said:

I think they are hoping to have CDC guidance (actual meaningful guidance not the BS sent out so far) so they can conform to it as much as possible and then point to it as an example of being compliant.

It would also make it an easier sell to US customers to say "see we are CDC compliant just like back home".

Unfortunately the CDC doesnt seem able to get its head out of its ass so my guess is Royal will just have to publish what they think makes sense after waiting as long as possible.

The latest CDC guidance/letters specifically call out NOT using activities from non-US sailings in any way to show the US sailings could be safe. They really are just smoking crack and making jokes in their office, instead of actually doing anything constructive or caring about the end results moreso than it being their crazy rules being followed to get there. It'd be amusing if someone could take the time to rewrite the entire package as if it were to apply to airlines or to hotels and see how ridiculous it comes out sounding.

image.thumb.png.71c331e148e66cdac6895a8a27e957d8.png

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

The latest CDC guidance/letters specifically call out NOT using activities from non-US sailings in any way to show the US sailings could be safe. They really are just smoking crack and making jokes in their office, instead of actually doing anything constructive or caring about the end results moreso than it being their crazy rules being followed to get there.

I've come to sad realization there will be no cruising from the US until the public health emergency is over.

I'll be surprised if the FL court case changes the outcome and the CDC is clearly far out of touch.  The CSO was never meant to allow cruising.  

I'll do that one better.  

The CSO is going to be extended, if it can be.

So long as there is a public health emergency the CDC will stop all US based cruising.

If anyone desires to cruise, look beyond the shores of the US.

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've come to sad realization there will be no cruising from the US until the public health emergency is over.

I'll be surprised if the FL court case changes the outcome and the CDC is clearly far out of touch.  The CSO was never meant to allow cruising.  

I'll do that one better.  

So long as there is a public health emergency the CDC will stop all US based cruising.

I pretty much agree.

The other interesting thing is that the entirety of the documents regarding attempting to sail under the conditional sail order did not even begin to appear until a few weeks AFTER the suit against HHS/CDC was filed by Florida (Phased Approach to the Resumption of Cruise Ship Passenger Operations - OMB 0920-1335).

Further, the CDC/government response to the motion for preliminary injunction starts out with a diatribe about "ooh, woe is us, for after 6 months of this and 6 months of that, NOW the state files a lawsuit against our esteemed institution that's just trying to protect Americans?" Talk about disingenuous garbage in a filing to the court?! (31_047022965703_MemorandumInOpposition.pdf (2150.com))

Personally I believe DeSantis' anti-vaccine-proof stance is political and counter to everything that could help get us out of the pandemic faster. But the lawsuit is something that should be pursued, but should be coming from the cruise lines AND affected states. Not sure how it coming just from the states is going to work out. At the very least it's forced the CDC to finish the lip service they started with the conditional sail order, but honestly reading through that is just a non-starter to cruise under such "guidelines." They are not in any way realistic under current circumstances, especially under a mostly-fully-vaccinated environment aboard ships.

(For reference, I keep a copy of the official docket updated with most of the relevant documents downloaded and freely available: Florida v. HHS, CDC (2150.com))

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'll do that one better.  

The CDC isn't going to give up control unfortunately. Hopefully, the Biden administration becomes convinced that this is bad politics. I have my doubts as to whether that will happen.

One thing I keep wondering/worrying if the CSO is tossed out. How much of the CSO would suddenly end up in the Vessel Sanitation Program requirements.

The way I still look at the CSO the largest hold-up has been the phase 2A requirement for hospitalized and housing agreements. Rest of the requirements while unpopular are still feasible.

Simulated voyages to CocoCay or Nassau and back should only take three nights from most Florida ports. Not sure how long it would take for a Cozumel run out Galveston and possibly Tampa. Running at 10% of capacity would be less than 700 volunteers for an Oasis class vessel. My own belief is the cruise lines will still run some sort of shakedown style sailing no matter what.

I still believe right now the largest hold-up is going to getting crew to support the guests. Other factor is going to be guest satisfaction based on current CDC requirements. The cruise lines will need to supply some sort of satisfactory "out" if guests don't want to deal with the oppressive CDC requirements.

27 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Other factor is going to be guest satisfaction based on curewnt CDC requirements. 

I think this is the biggest factor, the cruise lines can jump through all the hoops in place but end up offering a product that is so awful due to meaningless CDC restrictions that no one is going to pay for it.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I'll do that one better.  

Unfortunately i agree, so glad to have the Nassau option in June to look forward to or i would be losing my mind completely at this point ?

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

The CDC will find something at fault.

Inspector 4's coffee delivered by room service was at 105°F vs the expected 150°F. Inspector 4 suggests that simulated voyage counts as a failure and additional simulated voyages will be required.

7 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Inspector 4's coffee delivered by room service was at 105°F vs the expected 150°F. Inspector 4 suggests that simulated voyage counts as a failure and additional simulated voyages will be required.

One of the seven hundred guests kept their mask off for two bites of dinner and they were not removed from the ship.

36 minutes ago, twangster said:

I don't mind volunteering for one dreadful test cruise but I don't expect it to be a fun experience yet I want cruise lines to succeed.  

For the third or fourth dreadful test cruise attempts it may be hard to find enough volunteers. 

I would do  a dreadful test cruise if it meant myself and others didn't have to do dreadful revenue cruises.

Not much of a test if it's at 10% capacity, and using vaccinated testers when the intent is not to require vaccination on the cruises for which they're being tested. This whole exercise has turned into a joke and demonstrates the incompetence of the CDC being involved in operations. Just look at the highly-forgeable CDC COVID-19 vaccination record, for instance. The longer they keep up this nonsense, the less I'm going to be inclined to trust anything they do. I'm sure they don't really care, but that level of confidence being undermined is something they should be concerned with.

17 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's 10% of the intended capacity of the restricted cruises. So theoretically it's half that.

Getting in the technical weeds: The minimum number of required volunteer passengers for each simulated voyage must be at least 10% of the maximum number of passengers permitted onboard for restricted voyages as per the terms of the cruise ship operator’s Phase 2A agreement with U.S. port and local health authorities.

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

Not much of a test if it's at 10% capacity, and using vaccinated testers when the intent is not to require vaccination on the cruises for which they're being tested. This whole exercise has turned into a joke and demonstrates the incompetence of the CDC being involved in operations. Just look at the highly-forgeable CDC COVID-19 vaccination record, for instance. The longer they keep up this nonsense, the less I'm going to be inclined to trust anything they do. I'm sure they don't really care, but that level of confidence being undermined is something they should be concerned with.

The CDC lost me at wear two masks.  

In hindsight that should have been a red flag that cruising would never happen.

Twenty or thirty years ago it may have been a respected agency that had a purpose.  Those days are over.

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yep it's all pomp and circumstance now.  There's absolutely nothing in the test cruise criteria that can't successfully be done with just crew training. Some of the things aren't even truly testable like "One ship can be at a private island port at a time"

Why stop at private destinations?  Why shouldn't all destinations be equal?

45 minutes ago, twangster said:

The CDC lost me at wear two masks.  

In hindsight that should have been a red flag that cruising would never happen.

Twenty or thirty years it may have been a respected agency that had a purpose.  Those days are over.

The cdc lost me at "married couples are advised to wear masks while sleeping together"

1 hour ago, steverk said:

The cdc lost me at "married couples are advised to wear masks while sleeping together"

Full disclosure before I'm accused of spreading misinformation...it wasn't the CDC that recommended this. It was Canada https://khn.org/morning-breakout/canadas-advice-wear-a-mask-during-sex/

It was just too funny to pass up the opportunity to post!

39 minutes ago, steverk said:

Full disclosure before I'm accused of spreading misinformation...it wasn't the CDC that recommended this. It was Canada https://khn.org/morning-breakout/canadas-advice-wear-a-mask-during-sex/

It was just too funny to pass up the opportunity to post!

I believe the UK had some pretty strict "adult time" rules, too.