Seeking honest opinions

I'm relatively new to cruising, but am completely hooked. I've only ever sailed on Royal and Celebrity, and have my first Norwegian cruise booked for October 2021.

What I'm looking for is opinions on Carnival Cruises. Their prices and itineraries look attractive, but I remember how my wife and I were on a tour bus in Curacao with mostly Carnival passengers and we ran off the bus because it was like a bad day at Walmart.

Have any of you been on a Carnival cruise and how bad is it really?

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Craig 01020 said:

I'm relatively new to cruising, but am completely hooked. I've only ever sailed on Royal and Celebrity, and have my first Norwegian cruise booked for October 2021.

What I'm looking for is opinions on Carnival Cruises. Their prices and itineraries look attractive, but I remember how my wife and I were on a tour bus in Curacao with mostly Carnival passengers and we ran off the bus because it was like a bad day at Walmart.

Thanks.

I have been on both cruise lines and I don’t think you are off the mark in your analogy. I use the Walmart versus Target analogy as the clientele are very different. That being said, it depends on what ship and what time of the year. If you go spring break on a Carnival lower priced cruise you are going to amazed by some of the sightings you’ll see as I have been in the past. But I’m in my late 50’s so my tolerance for drunks is pretty low.

On the flip side Royal has its share of dress code violations at the pool and on excursions so it’s not immune. I just think Royal is a cut above Carnival in the cruising market. With the Carnival Mardi Gras coming on line soon that may tighten the competition market but only time will tell.

2 hours ago, Craig 01020 said:

Thanks.

I will share a different take.

I find the major cruise lines to be more alike than they are different. The big differentiator for me is which ships, itineraries you compare.

Carnival was known for the short weekend booze cruises on older, smaller ships ... surprisingly if you book one of those ship/itinerary combos you end up on a cruise with a bunch of people that are just looking to get drunk as inexpensively as possible ... possibly the "walmart" analogy above.

However, if you sail one of their big, new shiny boats on a week long cruise the crowd looks a lot more like you would see on a Royal or NCL cruise on a similar ship and itinerary combo .. 

If I list out my top ten ships it is heavily dominated by Royal (primarily the Voyager and Super-Voyager aka Freedom classes) but sitting on the top of the list is Carnival Vista .. we had a great Europe cruise on her as well as a Southern Caribbean that was awesome.

My recommendation is too look at the age/size of the ships you are considering along with the itinerary and not focus exclusively on the cruise line.

The only way to know if its your cup of tea is to try it.  

I could explain why I stopped sailing them but it doesn't matter.  It's your vacation money, only your opinion matters.

It's not like you are putting your lives at risk by trying them and it's the only way to know for sure.

2 hours ago, Craig 01020 said:

Thanks.

Sailed once because of a family commitment and determined we would never sail them again.  Service - none, food quality - poor, public areas were not maintained / dirty, noisy, not a relaxing environment.  If you're a kid on spring break - its a wonderful environment. (It didn't help that we sailed during Hurricane Sandy, when we got back to port, everyone cheered.)  Had my first cruise been on Carnival, I would probably not be sailing today.

I started sailing on Carnival and enjoyed all the cruises that I took.  The main three lines (Carnival, NCL, Royal) are more alike than different and I've been on all three.  The best way to find out is to give it a try, but if you go into it looking for problems you will definitely find them.  There are just some tiny nuances that make me prefer Royal to the other two.

Equally as polarizing as this Carnival vs Royal debate is the Pepsi vs Coke debate.  Royal is the only of those three lines that has Coke products.  NCL and Carnival are both Pepsi ships.

19 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I started sailing on Carnival and enjoyed all the cruises that I took.  The main three lines (Carnival, NCL, Royal) are more alike than different and I've been on all three.  The best way to find out is to give it a try, but if you go into it looking for problems you will definitely find them.  There are just some tiny nuances that make me prefer Royal to the other two.

Equally as polarizing as this Carnival vs Royal debate is the Pepsi vs Coke debate.  Royal is the only of those three lines that has Coke products.  NCL and Carnival are both Pepsi ships.

I did enjoy HAL .   Service was nice as was food.  As a more seasoned clientele, far easier to have a relax and enjoy a vacation.  But the sidewalks rolled up at 10pm and not a whole lot to do.  So I wouldn't throw out the whole company, just the flagship line.

For reference: Carnival Platinum level cruiser. I've cruised exclusively Carnival since 1997. My age group 30-40.

What most have already said is true. I can confirm an environment that really caters to the party crowd on Carnival ships. The vibe on the ship is incredibly laid back, dress code is rarely enforced, and most people get away with doing things they really shouldn't. Depending on your expectations, or where on the ship you will be at any given time will greatly influence the vibe you'll get. One part of the ship may be filled with drunks, however there's likely an equal group of people chilling in a bar listening to live music. 

IMO, the most influential moments will be the interactions you will have with other cruisers. I can say in my experience the cheapest priced cruises trend toward more negative interactions with other guests. i.e. Witnessing more fights, arguments, rude people in general. The best cruises I have had have been on the newest ships in more expensive parts of the year and these cruises have had incredibly positive experiences.

When it comes to raw facts, food is good, service is good, newer ships are very clean, older ships are clean (much better if they've recently underwent dry dock), older ships WILL show their age through damaged areas that haven't been refurbished. Most ships will feel very similar in the Carnival fleet, from the carpet to the decorations it's actually difficult to remember which ship has what because they are so copy/paste.

TLDR: If you set the proper expectation and give yourself the opportunity to be in the right place at the right time on the ship you'll have a good time.

One thing to consider is the benefits of Loyalty clubs. I too did several Carnival cruises, as well as some Princess, Norwegian and Celebrity several years ago but found my perfect balance with Royal.  You should check out the Crown & Anchor chart showing the perks you earn as you accumulate points with Royal.  They become a very nice part of your cruise. 

Our first, last, and only Carnival cruise was in 2003.  We knew right away it wasn't for us.

My parents and uncles and aunts love Carnival.  Go figure.  They sail Carnival at least once or twice a year (pre-covid) with Princess and Celebrity mixed in between.  

Bottom line, try it, you will never know until you do.  

About 8 years ago Carnival actually provided me with a "comp" cabin for a 7 night interior. I was already "Loyal to Royal" but as a t/a I didn't have an issue with being open-minded. My conclusion was to ask myself the question "how do I sell this when I didn't even enjoy it for free?" I did respond accordingly when Carnival asked for my review but I also provided specific issues that I felt they needed to adress. Lastly, I know any cruise line can get a failing grade for any given run. Royal has certainly dropped the ball more than once during our climb to "Pinnacle" status but that same "C&A"  loyalty program is a key to their success. Ooops, I think my 2 cents are up >>>>>>>>>

We've been cruising since 2001 and have sailed most lines. Our preference is Celebrity but cruise line choice is a personal matter and reasons for a particular preferences are going to vary widely.  I thought the post above that associated cruise length and pricing with passenger behavior was pretty accurate. Did a one night cruise to nowhere out of Sydney (between B2Bs) on Celebrity Solstice that was worse than anything I have ever experienced on any ship in terms of drunkenness, fights and general bad behavior. Sailed on a 5n Carnival Breeze in a Captains Cabin suite that was a super deal and loved it - great food and a nice crowd.

The industry, at one time proper, staid and rarely changing through probably the late 90s early 2000s, is now changing rapidly, almost year to year, to adapt to a rapidly growing, generally more money to spend cruising clientele. I've not liked the industry wide trend to exclusivity but there's nothing I can do about it. That's what cruisers are looking for and will pay for so, I don't blame the cruise lines for adapting their ships to accommodate that crowd. Importantly, it's been my experience that I'm not treated any differently on any of the lines that offer exclusivity as an amenity if I book the lowest priced cabin I can find.   

I use the walmart vs. target analogy all the time to describe the difference between the two cruise lines. i.e... you can get the same goods and or services from either... but the service, facilities, and the customer base is slightly different... along with the price to reflect that. 

I've done 3 Carnival cruises and 4 RCL cruises.... and given the choice I would pick RCL every time. But also... would I not go on a carnival cruise with friends and family just because it was 'Carnival'??  not at all... I'd pack my bag just the same, no matter what cruise line... its still a cruise and you will still have fun. 

But, overall.... on RCL it seems everything is just a little bit better.... the food, the service, your ship mates, etc.... but just like everything else... your mileage may vary from ship to ship and company to company. 

I'd be willing to bet, once the Carnival Mardi Gras starts sailing.... there will be quite a few RCL members giving her a test drive. 

(I know I want to check her out.)

I normally do a lot of river cruises but have sailed on Carnival in total about 3 times and Norwegian twice. I was only able to complete 1 sailing on RCG. But I fell in love with RCG after my 2019 Mariner sailing. My issue with Carnival was the entertainment and design. That clown color aesthetic made me nauseous and their shows are mostly miss. NCL, to me, is too expensive for what they offer. The food is pretty good but truth be told I have never had outright disgusting food on a cruise. 

Like many has said, your mileage may vary, any line can be right for the time and it comes down to individual preferences. I personally won't spend my money on Carnival or NCL but I have no problem sailing either.

8 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Why did no one tell me sooner! I've had coke products in many countries (and the global varieties are different), but I'd take any version of Coke over Pepsi anyday! Good thing our cruise is booked for Royal! : )

I hang my head in shame  but I did the nasty and went on one... Its a younger party hardy crowd for sure and that was what drew me in when I was still drinking...  Most aboard seemed to be on that same track.  Out by the pools was absurdly loud DJ's and or bands. I don't remember much about the food as I was more or less plowed when I steeped on...  I have to be fair though that a lot of Royal quickies I have been on have had  touch of that trailer park feel as well. Not as much but some... A 3 day from Canaveral on Majesty comes to mind that I recall vividly.  I havn't done a long one on Carnival  so I cant say.... Royal, I will say runs a cleaner better ship... 

Carnival has an advantage when it comes to meeting expectations and satisfaction surveys.  

No one goes to Walmart expecting it to be like Neiman Marcus or Nordstroms. 

I sailed 10 times on Carnival and didn't have a bad cruise, I just wanted more, much like sometimes when I go to Walmart.  It's not all bad, but my expectations are low so easily met, and when you find something good, it's like a bonus score.

It is quite a subjective issue and I think you should try it and see. For us we have done a Carnival cruise and it will be very unlikely we will cruise Carnival again. We have only done one from Australia to South Pacific, so not tried one in the US, so might be different?

We cruised Royal prior and the quality of the food and service was not the same but it was cheaper as well. Our biggest issue was the lack of security with children running a muck and through corridors at the very early mornings, 2am. We find Royal more appealing and the type of people nicer and not as out of control.