Why suddenly quiet?

8 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

The news of cruises restarting was made waves almost everyday last week.  Why is it suddenly all quiet now?

For me, with a July 17th scheduled cruise is still the uncertainty of whether my cruise will sail as scheduled.

I am excited about the good news but anxious about when which July sailings may take place out of the US will be announced. 

Just a feeling of being in Limbo 

I think the negotiations with CDC as to how soon the crew will be @ 98% is ongoing for the cruise lines to announce firm sailing dates. The sooner the better for me. I'm not giving up hope for my July 4th cruise since the crew was in Miami yesterday getting their vaccines.?That gives a three week buffer from their 2nd shot 2 week waiting period and sailing date.

11 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

The news of cruises restarting was made waves almost everyday last week.  Why is it suddenly all quiet now?

I know for me its waiting to see what "actually happens" ... what's the actual plan ... until there is something more to comment on i don't have much more to say ?

Here's my nightmare scenario:

I keep on worrying and fretting about whether or not the cruise lines will be able to sail 

by sometime in (hopefully early) July, since our cruise is August 1.

But what happens if the CDC says "Okay, fine, y'all win.  Go have fun on your FPDs, just 

don't blame us when you get a cold".

What if RCG has booked more for Allure than they plan on taking?   Do they go by date of 

reservation, C&A points, paid-in-full date, or something random like how pretty you are?

If she cruises, and I'm left at home, somebody can just come to the house and shoot me.

9 minutes ago, Floski said:

Here's my nightmare scenario:

I keep on worrying and fretting about whether or not the cruise lines will be able to sail 

by sometime in (hopefully early) July, since our cruise is August 1.

But what happens if the CDC says "Okay, fine, y'all win.  Go have fun on your FPDs, just 

don't blame us when you get a cold".

What if RCG has booked more for Allure than they plan on taking?   Do they go by date of 

reservation, C&A points, paid-in-full date, or something random like how pretty you are?

If she cruises, and I'm left at home, somebody can just come to the house and shoot me.

Double book people in the same cabin?

That would only happen if Royal IT made a mistake.  

On the flip side maybe I could get lucky and booked into the same cabin with a hot, single woman.  And I mean hot, not one with hot flashes.  

27 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

These quotes work well together.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

On the flip side maybe I could get lucky and booked into the same cabin with a hot, single woman.

1 hour ago, LovetoCruise87 said:

unless this is all just a dream. 

1 hour ago, CrznTxn said:

I'm not giving up hope 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Double book people in the same cabin?

That would only happen if Royal IT made a mistake.  

On the flip side maybe I could get lucky and booked into the same cabin with a hot, single woman.  And I mean hot, not one with hot flashes.  

I hope that happens for you....perhaps one with relaxed moral standards....with a thing for bots.

I'm talking about RC filling the reservations from way back, but now only being able to cruise at half-capacity,

or thereabouts.  I booked late, payed last week, am crap for C&A, and have a face like an old retread tire, so 

my concern is noteworthy.   If I was handsome as @rjac, I'd be golden!

24 minutes ago, Floski said:

I'm talking about RC filling the reservations from way back, but now only being able to cruise at half-capacity,

or thereabouts.  I booked late, payed last week, am crap for C&A

@Floski we are on this same sailing. I think they will sail at least 60%. I booked late, paid last week and am still also gold as I have had so many cancellations. I don't know this to be true but I feel like enough people didn't book or CWC cancelled due to final payment being due without knowing if she is going. The RCCL FCC game is no fun!  Then others who won't sail until some of the silly protocols are lifted (masks everywhere etc) and finally I think early on the cruiseline may have previously blocked cabins for crew. I feel positive if she sails WE WILL BE ON HER, see you in Port Canaveral. 

IF she is cancelled and it is offered I will lift and shift to July 2022, it's that Harmony there then but it will be paid in full at this year's prices, so positivity all around.

I am able to score great cabins in 2021 and early 2022.  I've never been able to book so many aft balconies within months of sailing.  Symphony in one of those double wide Central Park balconies for a great price.  Middle hump balconies on Freedom class.  Corner aft on Radiance class.  Cabin selection and availability has been a dream.

Seeing all the cabin choices available I have a hard time believing ships are anywhere close to full.

Once the masses see successful cruises in the coming months all those prime cabin choices will be gone.

26 minutes ago, Neesa said:

@Floski we are on this same sailing. I think they will sail at least 60%. I booked late, paid last week and am still also gold as I have had so many cancellations. I don't know this to be true but I feel like enough people didn't book or CWC cancelled due to final payment being due without knowing if she is going. The RCCL FCC game is no fun!  Then others who won't sail until some of the silly protocols are lifted (masks everywhere etc) and finally I think early on the cruiseline may have previously blocked cabins for crew. I feel positive if she sails WE WILL BE ON HER, see you in Port Canaveral. 

IF she is cancelled and it is offered I will lift and shift to July 2022, it's that Harmony there then but it will be paid in full at this year's prices, so positivity all around.

I'm not sure what I'll do if she cancels.

I have a standing "friends and family" discount from NCL that I'm interested in, and they 

have a good-looking December cruise, but I want to stay LtR and not go on another line,

especially since I don't know anything about their ships, policies, etc.

So - LET'S CRUISE IN AUGUST!

5 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I know for me its waiting to see what "actually happens" ... what's the actual plan ... until there is something more to comment on i don't have much more to say ?

This. Royal said during earnings call they had questions to get answered.

So it may still be another few days/weeks before a formal announcement is made.

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

One thing that IS keeping me positive is the number of photos that Michael Bayley is posting ..... just over the last few days, he's been posting pics of Operational Crews from Explorer, Navigator, Freedom, Liberty & the Celebrity Equinox getting their vaccines #progress

I don't follow closely other than here, so this is great to read....especially since we have cruises booked on two of those ships.

I've posted this in other threads but as I started thinking about the task they are faced with there is a lot for them to work out.

If they accept the 95% vaccinated CDC rule it opens the door to a lot of questions.  How do they handle someone who booked a cruise before this was known?  What if parents are vaccinated but children are not?  Do they offer a refund?  L&S?  FCC?  What do the lawyers say given this is a government imposed rule?  etc...

That's why I think they are silent right now.  So much to work out and communicate to call center staff because as soon as they say anything, the floodgates open and the questions start rolling in like a tidal wave.

18 hours ago, twangster said:

That's why I think they are silent right now.  So much to work out and communicate to call center staff because as soon as they say anything, the floodgates open and the questions start rolling in like a tidal wave.

I think it should be understood that when the CDC made the initial announcement publicly a few weeks ago and then provided more information publicly yesterday, the cruise lines/CLIA had advance information ahead of both announcements.

I think it's also a good guess that the lines have been preparing for a restart well before the press got wind of the CDC's recent public airing of restart protocols.

Having said that, I simply cannot imagine what RCL's & Celebrity's Operations Departments are dealing with trying to build into their operations the protocols the CDC is requiring. Or, maybe they're not.

On careful reading, it's obvious that the CDC protocols just released were developed months ago and don't reflect current pandemic circumstances. I have to believe that operators at the cruise lines are in contact with counterparts at the CDC and are being updated in accordance with the CSO proviso that states protocols and guidelines will change based on evolving pandemic circumstances. What we know of the restart protocols just can't be right. They are laughable.

I'll say this: I have no doubt that HHS knows it's back is up against the wall with respect to the potential that the CDC's CSO is going to be declared unlawful in less than a week. Throwing the stuff out there yesterday that they did, clearly dated and without regard to facts on the ground, was a move to convince the Federal judge that will be ruling on FL's request for an injunction that the CDC has a plan to get cruise lines going again .... but it has to be done safely. Never mind that the restart protocols contained in the CSO have no basis in the current science. The CDC may actually think that the Judge won't look at the CSO's details passing on that daunting task and just accepting that they have a plan.   

This is a classic bureauocratic legal maneuver. Throw thousands of pages of gobble-de-gook into the court's lap hoping the judge will delay the hearing to review the documents.

23 minutes ago, JeffB said:

This is a classic bureauocratic legal maneuver. Throw thousands of pages of gobble-de-gook into the court's lap hoping the judge will delay the hearing to review the documents.

They should have waited until closer to the hearing.  There is now ample time to pull apart their revised guidance and make a plan to explain it so even a judge can understand.

26 minutes ago, JeffB said:

I'll say this: I have no doubt that HHS knows it's back is up against the wall with respect to the potential that the CDC's CSO is going to be declared unlawful in less than a week. Throwing the stuff out there yesterday that they did, clearly dated and without regard to facts on the ground, was a move to convince the Federal judge that will be ruling on FL's request for an injunction that the CDC has a plan to get cruise lines going again .... but it has to be done safely. Never mind that the restart protocols contained in the CSO have no basis in the current science. The CDC may actually think that the Judge won't look at the CSO's details passing on that daunting task and just accepting that they have a plan.   

This is exactly what happened. CDC/HHS submitted court documents for their opposition the other day.32-0_047122965754.pdf

Well, the judge may take these docs as prima facia evidence that the CDC has a plan and FL should just wait as it unfolds. I don't know if his clerks have the depth of knowledge about this to actually understand how outdated and absurd the restart protocols are and then impart that view to the judge. I suspect the claimant's legal team does. Hope they get a chance to argue that HHS is stalling and what they submitted is invalid. 

Edited by AshleyDillo
language

I'm going to add this as an extension to the line of thought above wrt HHS having it's backs against the wall. I'm advancing the thought that HHS/CDC had to put something out publicly demonstrating that they had a pathway to return to cruising. HHS/CDC were getting crushed from multiple directions. On a careful reading of that portion of the CSO, it's laughable. It's inconsistent with even their own recent guidance. One cannot take the thing seriously ...... and I don't think the cruise lines are taking it seriously. They have other plans.

It's possible that the CDC has told the cruise lines that the public release of the phased return and all the outdated protocols that go along with it is window dressing. 
"We'll have an update soon," the CDC is telling the industry . Thus, the silence. If the cruise lines were actually going to apply to the CDC to conduct test cruises, I think we'd know about it. If specific ships were approved for test cruises, we'd be hearing about sign-ups for volunteers ....... cricketts. Suspicious - something is up that isn't public knowledge.

What we're seeing instead is oodles of cruise ships making quick turns in FL and Texas ports. Vaccinations are getting done for crew members on these port stops. I suppose a hybrid start-up is possible - test cruises for some ships and "restricted" revenue sailings for others. But all signs are pointing toward global level sailings, including re-starts from US ports, with "reasonable (now proven) infection control measures" implemented by the cruise lines not directed by the US government via the CDC/HHS/DHS.

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Looks like they confirm what we fear, the CDC updates are not going to lead to a resumption of cruises any time soon.

I'm going to go with two possibilities here:

(1) The CDC actually does have it's head up it's ass and will push for the phased restart as published. Mitigating against this line of thinking is that the thing is laughably outdated. Mitigating for it is that the CDC DOES have it's head up it's ass.

(2) This is an industry smoke screen or a tacitly agreed upon one off- from Del Rio. Mitigating against this is the cruise industry rarely has one spokes person speaking for the collective. Mitigating for it is the line of thought that the industry knows the CSO's phased restart is going to crash and burn under it's own weight of stupid or a Judge is going to enjoin enforcement of it.

16 minutes ago, JeffB said:

(1) The CDC actually does have it's head up it's ass and will push for the phased restart as published. Mitigating against this line of thinking is that the thing is laughably outdated. Mitigating for it is that the CDC DOES have it's head up it's ass.

(2) This is an industry smoke screen or a tacitly agreed upon one off- from Del Rio. Mitigating against this is the cruise industry rarely has one spokes person speaking for the collective. Mitigating for it is the line of thought that the industry knows the CSO's phased restart is going to crash and burn under it's own weight of stupid or a Judge is going to enjoin enforcement of it.

Have you seen ANYTHING lately that would indicate that the CDC doesnt have its head up its ass? 

Have you seen the CDC guidelines for Children's Summer Camps? 

Science no longer lives at the CDC address. Politics moved in and kicked it out

2 hours ago, JeffB said:

I vote option 1 - and my prize is heading to Nassau in June ... so glad i jumped on that option suspecting that it might take a while yet for the CDC to get its head out of its butt.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

I don't see it this way.  HHS/CDC barely flinched at this "crushing pressure".  Like a cow with a fly on it's back.   "Huh, a fly.  I'll flick my tail and go on with standing here."  Moo.  

That take is possible. So are others with respect to the apparent stand the CDC has taken, namely publishing a laughable and seriously outdated phased return to cruising that clearly was staffed months ago, was pulled out of the cellar and dusted off just in time to send it's unobtainable, according to Del Rio, gates for a restart directly to the Judge that is hearing FL's lawsuit next week.

Coincidence? I don't think so. They're feeling the heat.

10 minutes ago, JeffB said:

That take is possible. So are others with respect to the apparent stand the CDC has taken, namely publishing a laughable and seriously outdated phased return to cruising that clearly was staffed months ago, was pulled out of the cellar and dusted off just in time to send it's unobtainable, according to Del Rio, gates for a restart directly to the Judge that is hearing FL's lawsuit next week.

Coincidence? I don't think so. They're feeling the heat.

I'm still surprised the CDC Director got away with what she did in the senate committee meeting in March.  

Might as well rename them FUD.

1839857105_CDCAnything.jpg.39e4c50fa16cef3aecd8ce5b07ae2e3c.jpg