Oasis of the seas theater.

nydvc

Hello everyone

Heading to my fist mega ship.....Oasis at the end of September.  We just ordered our theater tickets for the shows. Cats is showing and it says the doors open 45 minutes prior to show.  My questions is how crowded does it get. Getting there 45 minutes before and relaxing with a drink sounds fine to us, but is the theater going to be mobbed and do we need to be there an hour before they open the doors to get decent seats?  Were not looking for  orchestra center kind of seats but we don't want to be way off on the sidelines or in the mezzanine if we can help it. . 

What do you guys recommend showing up prior to show time to get decent seats? 

I was also shocked the play is 2 hours and 30 minutes. They must be doing the entire play.....I was thinking it would just be some of the numbers and last about a hour like most of the cruise shows. ..I am hoping it good.  We remember Cats from a long time ago in Manhattan and a revival is starting up soon there also. .

thanks for your help everyone. 

Rich

The last time I was on her (2012) there were people at the doors even earlier that 45 min.  You really don't get tickets, they will scan your sea pass card for entry and about 5 min before the show they open it up to everyone else.  Unless you want to get down front I would think 30 min should be plenty and the crowd should be slimming down.  Post back when you get back, I'm going on her beginning of December.

Hello everyone

Heading to my fist mega ship.....Oasis at the end of September.  We just ordered our theater tickets for the shows. Cats is showing and it says the doors open 45 minutes prior to show.  My questions is how crowded does it get. Getting there 45 minutes before and relaxing with a drink sounds fine to us, but is the theater going to be mobbed and do we need to be there an hour before they open the doors to get decent seats?  Were not looking for  orchestra center kind of seats but we don't want to be way off on the sidelines or in the mezzanine if we can help it. . 

What do you guys recommend showing up prior to show time to get decent seats? 

I was also shocked the play is 2 hours and 30 minutes. They must be doing the entire play.....I was thinking it would just be some of the numbers and last about a hour like most of the cruise shows. ..I am hoping it good.  We remember Cats from a long time ago in Manhattan and a revival is starting up soon there also. .

thanks for your help everyone. 

Rich

We were on Oasis in November and saw the first Full production of Cats then.  We only came about 15 minutes before curtain and were able to sit L of Center about 6-8 Rows back.  After the intermission we were about to move Center Stage on the isle 5 rows back which is my favorite seats.  Needless to say the theater was not packed and people do leave do leave during intermission & you can always change seats then.

I didn't see the play while on Oasis, but I do know it is the entire play. There is an intermission as well.

thanks for your input. intermission is inportant at my age especially when I am drinking beer.  :-)

The last time I was on her (2012) there were people at the doors even earlier that 45 min.  You really don't get tickets, they will scan your sea pass card for entry and about 5 min before the show they open it up to everyone else.  Unless you want to get down front I would think 30 min should be plenty and the crowd should be slimming down.  Post back when you get back, I'm going on her beginning of December.

thanks good info!!

I will be monitoring this thread as well. First Oasis class cruise in December! I do know these are full musical productions. We saw Saturday Night Fever on Liberty and really enjoyed it. It was a full musical production including the live orchestra.

Wow this should be interesting. 

It really depends on what seating you want.  On Quantum, we went to see Mamma Mia very close to show time (we had tickets) and had to sit in upper deck on the side (not great seats). 

Yeah, if I am going to sit through 2 1/2 hours of a show I would prefer at least OK seats. Of course if the quality is not up there we could leave early anyway. 

We were on Oasis in November and saw the first Full production of Cats then.  We only came about 15 minutes before curtain and were able to sit L of Center about 6-8 Rows back.  After the intermission we were about to move Center Stage on the isle 5 rows back which is my favorite seats.  Needless to say the theater was not packed and people do leave do leave during intermission & you can always change seats then.

That would be perfect for us. Thanks for your input.  Does the empty seats at intermission say anything about the quality of the show in your opinion? 

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your input. intermission is inportant at my age especially when I am drinking beer.  :-)

thanks good info!!

Wow this should be interesting. 

Yeah, if I am going to sit through 2 1/2 hours of a show I would prefer at least OK seats. Of course if the quality is not up there we could leave early anyway. 

That would be perfect for us. Thanks for your input.  Does the empty seats at intermission say anything about the quality of the show in your opinion? 

No Not at all.  I have seen it in a Theater before as well and both were great productions.  I would say the only real difference in my opinion would be that I believe there are more extras in the Theater production then on the cruise.

A couple important notes about the Oasis production of Cats:

Cats productions are personally authorized/scrutanized by Andrew Lloyd Webber. This is taken quite seriously, you will never see Cats at a community theater or at your local high school. Mr Weber retains the right to fire any Cats cast member at any time. There is something like 12 or 15 Cats sets, meaning there can only be a maximum of 12 or 15 (or whatever the number is ) productions going on in the wold at any one time. One of which is in long term residence on Oasis. 

Mr Webber mandates Cats to be preformed with a live orchestra. In contract negotiations with RCL, the orchestra requirement was bypassed. Instead the music is recorded and on a click track. However, Mr Webber requires a conductor (Mr. Webber's personal choice) to be on board and in charge of the click track during performances (a full scale theater production at sea can have unexpected surprises--see below)

In other words, the Oasis production is the identical full scale, authentic show that you would see on New York's Broadway or London's West End. No scenes are cut, it is full cast, and of course there are the costumes... And the tradition continues that the audience is invited to take pictures with the cast members in character after the performance.

Here is what happens during Cats. The first act introduces you to the cast. The flamboyant costumes are awesome! You here the familiar songs from the production. Cats is in British English, and there are words and phrases that unfamiliar to a lot of people. And, at the end of the first act, "Memory" is sung. For many, many people the show is over; so they bail. They've seen the costumes and heard "Memory". Add-in a little difficulty in completely understanding what is being said--many people don't have the patience for Act II.

Where to sit? I don't think it really matters that much to be honest. I promise you'll be able to upgrade to just about anywhere for Act II, perhaps front row.

Cats is free and a part of your cruise fare. Also free and a part of your cruise fare is Meet The Cast (find the day and time in the Cruise Compass). It will be held in the little Comedy Club (I forget what the name of the club is). Here's what happens at Meet The Cast: It only happens once a week for about an hour or a little better. There will be 5 or 6 cast members there (I guarantee at least one or more from Cats, I also bet heavily on divers from the aqua show being there) and there is open question and answer for everyone who attends. You get to ask about how long it takes to get into costumes, the actors previous theater experience (you will be pleasantly surprised at just how good these actors are), what happens during rough seas, and finally what happens if there is an Alpha, Alpha, Alpha call during a Cats production. Alpha (and some similar calls) are required by maritime law to interrupt everything onboard a ship....everything. So, the music stops during a performance, does the click track stop too? or, does it continue silently in the background? and, what happens if you are in a choreographed dance while this happens? An Alpha call will probably last 15 seconds or more and can be an eternity if you are onstage and not sure what to do. Hmm...good question!

Also for free (for certain levels of Crown and Anchor) is Behind the Scenes. Again look for it in your Cruise Compass. Behind the Scenes (much like Meet The Cast) happens in the theater. You get to go onstage, behind the stage, touch the sets of Come Fly With Me and Cats, meet the sound and lighting guys, and really see how big and well equipped the theater is. It's really a multi million dollar facility. Also you see where they cut the budget when they made Oasis and a dressing room backstage is nonexistent. Hmm...more good questions.

I suggest you get a video of Cats and review it before you sail. Certainly go to a production. Go to Meet The Cast. Armed with some interest and some background, you'll really, really enjoy Cats and have some appreciation for what is really going on...unlike those who bailed after Act I.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple important notes about the Oasis production of Cats:

Cats productions are personally authorized/scrutanized by Andrew Lloyd Webber. This is taken quite seriously, you will never see Cats at a community theater or at your local high school. Mr Weber retains the right to fire any Cats cast member at any time. There is something like 12 or 15 Cats sets, meaning there can only be a maximum of 12 or 15 (or whatever the number is ) productions going on in the wold at any one time. One of which is in long term residence on Oasis. 

Mr Webber mandates Cats to be preformed with a live orchestra. In contract negotiations with RCL, the orchestra requirement was bypassed. Instead the music is recorded and on a click track. However, Mr Webber requires a conductor (Mr. Webber's personal choice) to be on board and in charge of the click track during performances (a full scale theater production at sea can have unexpected surprises--see below)

In other words, the Oasis production is the identical full scale, authentic show that you would see on New York's Broadway or London's West End. No scenes are cut, it is full cast, and of course there are the costumes... And the tradition continues that the audience is invited to take pictures with the cast members in character after the performance.

Here is what happens during Cats. The first act introduces you to the cast. The flamboyant costumes are awesome! You here the familiar songs from the production. Cats is in British English, and there are words and phrases that unfamiliar to a lot of people. And, at the end of the first act, "Memory" is sung. For many, many people the show is over; so they bail. They've seen the costumes and heard "Memory". Add-in a little difficulty in completely understanding what is being said--many people don't have the patience for Act II.

Where to sit? I don't think it really matters that much to be honest. I promise you'll be able to upgrade to just about anywhere for Act II, perhaps front row.

Cats is free and a part of your cruise fare. Also free and a part of your cruise fare is Meet The Cast (find the day and time in the Cruise Compass). It will be held in the little Comedy Club (I forget what the name of the club is). Here's what happens at Meet The Cast: It only happens once a week for about an hour or a little better. There will be 5 or 6 cast members there (I guarantee at least one or more from Cats, I also bet heavily on divers from the aqua show being there) and there is open question and answer for everyone who attends. You get to ask about how long it takes to get into costumes, the actors previous theater experience (you will be pleasantly surprised at just how good these actors are), what happens during rough seas, and finally what happens if there is an Alpha, Alpha, Alpha call during a Cats production. Alpha (and some similar calls) are required by maritime law to interrupt everything onboard a ship....everything. So, the music stops during a performance, does the click track stop too? or, does it continue silently in the background? and, what happens if you are in a choreographed dance while this happens? An Alpha call will probably last 15 seconds or more and can be an eternity if you are onstage and not sure what to do. Hmm...good question!

Also for free (for certain levels of Crown and Anchor) is Behind the Scenes. Again look for it in your Cruise Compass. Behind the Scenes (much like Meet The Cast) happens in the theater. You get to go onstage, behind the stage, touch the sets of Come Fly With Me and Cats, meet the sound and lighting guys, and really see how big and well equipped the theater is. It's really a multi million dollar facility. Also you see where they cut the budget when they made Oasis and a dressing room backstage is nonexistent. Hmm...more good questions.

I suggest you get a video of Cats and review it before you sail. Certainly go to a production. Go to Meet The Cast. Armed with some interest and some background, you'll really, really enjoy Cats and have some appreciation for what is really going on...unlike those who bailed after Act I.

Wow just saw this......Thanks for the info. very interesting. and definitely looking forward to seeing it now.  I very much doubt I will be in the group that leaves at intermission.....thanks. Bob 

No Not at all.  I have seen it in a Theater before as well and both were great productions.  I would say the only real difference in my opinion would be that I believe there are more extras in the Theater production then on the cruise.

Thanks Michael that's good to hear. 

Wow just saw this......Thanks for the info. very interesting. and definitely looking forward to seeing it now. I very much doubt I will be in the group that leaves at intermission.....thanks. Bob

That's why royalcaribbeanblog is a great website. Ask a responsible question and there will be someone who has an experienced and solid answer.

There are a lot of reasonable Royal Caribben questions.

We were on the Allure of the Seas, an  Oasis sister ship,  this past Feb. "Mamma Mia" was the show, great production by the way. The theater was very chilly, vents were under the floor. Recommend you bring a light jacket/cover up so you don't get too  chilled. Also, check out the location of the bathrooms one floor up and one floor down. They get crowded at intermission time! :D

Great post. Thanks, I saw the original Cats in London a couple of times when I was stationed there in1982. It has always been a favorite and it is one of ALW's best. One question about seating. We will be onboard OS in February 2017 and will be in a GS with the gold sea pass. Where is the seating area for those "tickets"?

There will be a reserved seating area on the upper deck of the theater for gold card holders. Center section. They hold those seats until 10 minutes before the show at which point they become public access. I recommend getting there at least 20 minutes prior to showtime.

There are many who say that the reserved suites section are not the best seats. I guess if you want to be up close then that might be true. They have always worked fine for us. Getting out of the theater at the end of the show is quick and easy.

If you have a gold card you do not need to make reservations for any of the shows except for the comedy show. Suites do not have a reserved area in the comedy show venue.

There are many who say that the reserved suites section are not the best seats. I guess if you want to be up close then that might be true. They have always worked fine for us. Getting out of the theater at the end of the show is quick and easy.

I am just off the Oasis and saw Cats last Friday afternoon.  The upper deck seats are not too good because the safety rail at the front of the section is too tall and cuts off the mid stage area.  People in front rows usually lean forward to see under the rail which blocks the view for anyone behind them.  

I noticed most of the action happening on and off stage was from center to stage right.  The left section of the seating didn't get much interaction at all.  If you want full interaction, sit on the right aisle lower section near the front.

Hope you enjoy the show. It is not as bad as many have reported.  Learn a bit of the back story before you go. It helps.