xSAILEDx Ovation of the Seas - May 20, 2022 (Alaska roundtrip from Seattle)

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to figure what we'd like to do in the ports. I've got my parents going with us. They are in the late 70's and have some mobility issues. They aren't in wheelchairs or scooters, but they move pretty slowly and can't do stairs, etc. So far I'm thinking of the railroad in Skagway. In Juneau I'm thinking either the tram ride or booking a Mendenhall shuttle bus on our own so we can take our time there and not be rushed. 

20 hours ago, CFL said:

I'm trying to figure what we'd like to do in the ports. I've got my parents going with us. They are in the late 70's and have some mobility issues. They aren't in wheelchairs or scooters, but they move pretty slowly and can't do stairs, etc. So far I'm thinking of the railroad in Skagway. In Juneau I'm thinking either the tram ride or booking a Mendenhall shuttle bus on our own so we can take our time there and not be rushed. 

We rented a car and drove out to the Yukon ourselves the last time we sailed to Skagway.  We loved it! This time, we are bringing my oldest sister and aunt, who are both in their 70s too (our family is really spread out age-wise lol).  My hubby will walk over for the rental car, and I will herd our two feisty older ladies to a safe place for him to pick up. ? The train ride is very nice as well. I’m still mulling over a small bus ride out to the Yukon and a train ride back. 

The Mendenhall shuttle bus is a safe bet for Juneau if there are mobility issues.  So is the tram ride.  We are still mulling over a small boat whale watching excursion.  Both our ladies are fairly mobile. 

Count us in.  Had to move our May 2021 cruise to this one.  Second time on an Alaskan cruise.  First one was in 2005.  Just incredible.  Still talk about it to this day.  Pictures on our wall remind us every day of our helo flight over the glaciers and then landed and went dog sledding on the glacier.  Worth every penny we paid.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

We are on this sailing with a group of friends.

Looking forward to meeting some or all of you (especially @12thman- always great to interact with a fellow 12!).

Sorry to disappoint you but we have switched to Seranade due to our experience this past summer. We'll be with you in spirit! GO HAWKS!!

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2022 at 6:56 PM, Debi and Jim said:

We are going on the Ovation of the Sea to Alaska. Leaving Seattle May 20. Anyone else taking this cruise?

We are flying into Seattle on the 19th from D.C. Looking forward to our first ever Alaska cruise. REALLY looking forward to our excursions!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 6:06 AM, CJS2766 said:

Curious? Will we be one of the first cruise ships to cruise Alaska in 2022? I mean at least for Royal??

I believe the first RCCL Alaska cruise on the Ovation is May 6, 2022, but as usual, I could be wrong.  We're on the 2nd cruise, May 13th.  

19 hours ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Finally booked excursions today! We (mid 30's) are going on this with parents (late 50's), a set of friends, and our kids (littles!). Anyone else bringing young kids?

What did you end up booking? We have a helicopter flight over the glaciers with landing on them. After that, we also booked a whale watching tour. In Skagway, we're doing the White Pass Railroad. Nothing for Victoria, BC. Just maybe tour the town, eat and shop (wife 🤣)

35 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

What did you end up booking? We have a helicopter flight over the glaciers with landing on them. After that, we also booked a whale watching tour. In Skagway, we're doing the White Pass Railroad. Nothing for Victoria, BC. Just maybe tour the town, eat and shop (wife 🤣)

We're doing the Roberts tram in Juneau and then renting a car to get to Mendenhall and go around to see a few other things. In Skagway we're doing the White Pass Railroad, too! Nothing else planned for skagway, really. Probably going to just walk around town in the morning and sneak by Skagway brewery. My husband has a green hat from there with 5 years of cascading sweat bands that sorely needs replaced!

Haven't booked anything in Victoria yet, either. I also don't know that we will... Out of all of it, that one seems like the biggest wildcard with the kids. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CJS2766 said:

I checked in at 3:00 AM 🤣 Got an 11:00 AM boarding time 👍

4:15 for me - and got 11:00. Oddly, the app didn't show availability to check in until AFTER I completed the check in on the laptop. Unfortunately, the non-app check in requires significantly more information than the app to get a boarding time. Then, of course, the best place to upload the vaccine card is in the app.

I purposely take a small suitcase so that I do not overpack. My wife always takes the jumbo suitcase and takes way to much that she never uses. I told her, if you overpack, you aren't allowed to shop and can't bring anything back! 🤣🤣🤣

In case any of you were planning on the White Pass railroad in Skagway on excursions that crossed the border into Canada, this was posted today at https://wpyr.com/updates/

Cross Border Tours – Service Suspended for 2022 Operating Season

After months of working towards restoring the Carcross and Fraser Train Service Combination, we unfortunately must announce that we are unable to provide these offerings for the 2022 Season.  We have delayed this difficult decision for several months in the hopes that we could find a workable solution for all involved and provide passenger service on these international routes.  The challenges of logistics, restrictions, and uncertainty around wait times would have made it impossible for us to provide a consistent high quality service without delays and would create significant disruption to the passenger experience.

We respect and appreciate the time and efforts of our communities, staff, partners, customers, and governmental agencies at all levels in both Canada and the United States over the last year to try to bring this to fruition.  Though we could not complete the task in time for this season, we will continue to work together towards restoring this service for 2023.

For those booked on Fraser and Carcross train service this summer, our reservation staff will be reaching out to discuss your travel options and provide an alternative service on our White Pass Summit Excursion offering.

We booked a jeep rental in Skagway, and you can cross into the Yukon that way, if you so desire.  No testing at the border, but you do have to have the Arrive CAN app filled out.  Thought I would mention for those of you that have your hearts set on going out to the Yukon.  The train trip is a novelty, for sure, but the drive is astoundingly beautiful too.  🙂

On 4/6/2022 at 4:56 PM, CFL said:

In case any of you were planning on the White Pass railroad in Skagway on excursions that crossed the border into Canada, this was posted today at https://wpyr.com/updates/

Cross Border Tours – Service Suspended for 2022 Operating Season

Thanks for posting.  Going on our first RCCL cruise, and first Alaska cruise in July and I was hoping to go to Yukon with the White pass train from Skagway... I guess not... Now to find another excursion

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to xSAILEDx Ovation of the Seas - May 20, 2022 (Alaska roundtrip from Seattle)