READ ME -- Before you create a new Roll Call...

JLMoran

Hey all!

Clearly the Roll Call sub-forum is something that had a lot of pent-up demand! In the interests of making it easy to search for a particular roll call and add new ones into the forum with a consistent format, please be sure to follow these guidelines:

1. First, always search for your sailing to see if a Roll Call was already created
    • Easiest way to search is use the first word in the ship's name, the word AND, and the date enclosed in quotes (e.g., Vision AND "Aug 14, 2021"); this should properly limit the search and not give a lot of false matches on just the ship or date
    • Don't worry about searching on the full ship name since every ship ends with "of the Seas"
  2. If you don't find it through search, try sorting the forum by title (see later posts in this thread for screen shots); it's possible your sailing is there but the entry was created with a different style subject line.
  3. If you don't find your sailing in the search results or after sorting, go ahead and create a new topic. Please try to use the following format so it's easily found through search:
    • Ship Name
    • a hyphen
    • Departure date using the format month name (3-letter), followed by the day, then the year; this should help avoid confusion for members from countries where an all-digit date usually puts the day before the month. Examples:
      • Aug 14, 2021
      • Jun 12, 2021
      • Jul 22, 2022
    • An optional itinerary name / description in parentheses

This should let anyone easily find any sailing here, without having to guess what date format got used or which ship it's on. Examples:

• Adventure of the Seas - Jun 12, 2021
  • Vision of the Seas - Aug 14, 2021 (Bermuda and Perfect Day)
  • Radiance of the Seas - Jul 22, 2022 (Alaska Southbound)

Forum moderators / @Matt, if possible can you update the existing topics that include "ROLL CALL" or use a different date format so they're consistent? I figure better to ask this now while we still have a relatively limited number of sailings posted. ?

34 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Might also suggest further sub-forums based on ship and locking the root sub. Then in the locked root have a general how-to and other informational posts.

Also above my pay grade (I’m not even a moderator ?), but my personal feeling is that may be overkill. If we were dealing with multiple cruise lines here and a much larger fleet I agree that would be useful. But I think Royal’s fleet is small enough that it should be manageable.

We can always reevaluate if we find that the number of roll calls keeps growing super-fast after this initial surge.

I like the sub-forum idea. Add Roll Call to the main menu (i.e., Roll Calls, Discussion, News and Rumors, Dining, Excursions, Live Blogs) and then have each ship with its own forum. 

Edit: While I'm asking for the moon and stars, I thought I'd go ahead and ask if the sailing could then be dropped out of the "current" forum and placed in another forum, perhaps called "archived or past sailings" forum after its embarkation day?

20 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

I like the sub-forum idea. Add Roll Call to the main menu (i.e., Roll Calls, Discussion, News and Rumors, Dining, Excursions, Live Blogs) and then have each ship with its own forum. 

Edit: While I'm asking for the moon and stars, I thought I'd go ahead and ask if the sailing could then be dropped out of the "current" forum and placed in another forum, perhaps called "archived or past sailings" forum after its embarkation day?

@Matt Thanks! ?

• 3 months later...
On 12/6/2021 at 1:22 AM, bazingau said:

So I am new, but just wanted to make a suggestion - would it make sense to have sub forums with the names of the ships on them? Then people can go in to the ship of choice and then look by dates. Right now, the sorting and looking is a but cumbersome.

@Matt - this may not be a bad idea.  If I can help, let me know.

• 3 months later...

I think thing the best advice is to select "all of my search term words" in the search field. This ensures you get back specifically what you're looking for instead of on page four of your results. I posted something and I did not find my own post in the first couple of pages unless I used this feature; much faster and efficient.   

On 12/6/2021 at 2:22 AM, bazingau said:

So I am new, but just wanted to make a suggestion - would it make sense to have sub forums with the names of the ships on them? Then people can go in to the ship of choice and then look by dates. Right now, the sorting and looking is a but cumbersome.

On 12/10/2021 at 12:46 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

@Matt - this may not be a bad idea.  If I can help, let me know.

@Matt & @SpeedNoodles & @AshleyDillo - For your consideration - can we please resurrect this suggestion from @bazingau for you to consider making a separate subtopic ("folder" if you will) under Roll-Calls for each ship name, so that roll-calls can be placed in the "folder" (subtopic) by ship name for ease of use?  I'd recommend still following @JLMoran's topic name format syntax for the roll-calls in the (new) separate subfolders.  And hopefully the admins could simply move old/existing cruises into the respective new folders by ship name to get us started.  Thanks for considering.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 2:15 PM, EmptyNestTravels said:

@Matt & @SpeedNoodles & @AshleyDillo - For your consideration - can we please resurrect this suggestion from @bazingau for you to consider making a separate subtopic ("folder" if you will) under Roll-Calls for each ship name, so that roll-calls can be placed in the "folder" (subtopic) by ship name for ease of use?  I'd recommend still following @JLMoran's topic name format syntax for the roll-calls in the (new) separate subfolders.  And hopefully the admins could simply move old/existing cruises into the respective new folders by ship name to get us started.  Thanks for considering.

@Matt @SpeedNoodles @AshleyDillo @bazingau  Thanks for making this happen!  IMHO, the new format looks great, and should be very useful and easier for forum members to find/post roll-calls without creating duplicates!  🙂 

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, FrHoffard said:

Can someone please remove a roll call for me? The October 17-21, 2022 on Navigator of the Seas.  Got notified that it has been canceled and converted to a 7 night cruise Oct 14-21.  Thank you!

Are you still on it? If so you can just edit the title. Unless there's already a roll call for your new trip?

27 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

Are you still on it? If so you can just edit the title. Unless there's already a roll call for your new trip?

I tried and it won't let me edit the title.  I posted the roll call back in April lol. Very excited for my first cruise and now it's changed somewhat but still excited.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:06 PM, FrHoffard said:

I tried and it won't let me edit the title.  I posted the roll call back in April lol. Very excited for my first cruise and now it's changed somewhat but still excited.

I edited the title for you.  You have to click on the dots in the upper right corner of the first post and that's where it will allow you to edit the title..for future reference 🙂

• 6 months later...