Florida removing mask mandate ?

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/fully-vaccinated-people-shouldnt-be-advised-to-wear-masks-avoid-social-gatherings-florida-surgeon-general-says/

Surgeon general statement that vaccinated individuals should not be directed to wear masks or avoid crowds ... apparently DeSantis has indicated some kind of an "order" to come based on this.

Similar to the EO on vaccine passports in florida, how does that play with the cruise ... you cant be forced to wear a mask into the terminal but maybe you can once your on the ship ?

This is interesting too:

The surgeon general also stated that Florida residency will no longer be a requirement for vaccination in the state. He said any person currently in Florida who meets FDA guidelines will be eligible to get vaccinated “to ensure no COVID-19 vaccines are wasted.”

This tells me that crew members can get vaccinated pretty easily. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Bring on the vaccine tourists!  

Come on Canada, get your beavers down here!

maple leaf love GIF

It is funny that this came up, as I was at the pharmacy yesterday getting my last vax shot and overheard a group of people from Mexico City who were visiting Texas and getting vaccinations.

Down here, the mask ordinance has been mostly county-enforced.  As in, each county has its own rules.

Right now, it's still in place where I live (and surrounding counties).  There was talk of it being removed "soon", but TBD.

Each local jurisdiction has been able to create their own mask mandate but the Florida Governor make it so they can't issue fines for violations.

The best local law enforcement can do (if they decided to enforce a local mandate) is essentially a stern talking to and request that you leave the property.  If you fail to comply with that request that's another matter.

15 minutes ago, KWong said:

I got my first AZ shot 10 days ago so I'll be good to go soon. But I don't cruise (fingers crossed) until December so I can be patient about it.

Hubby and I should have second doses by end of July but as a fellow Canadian, my concern is actually more with being able to get in/out of Canada without quarantine.  It is the border issue that concerns me more these day.  I will be so thankful if I can cruise Allure in December without issue.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Down here, the mask ordinance has been mostly county-enforced.  As in, each county has its own rules.

Right now, it's still in place where I live (and surrounding counties).  There was talk of it being removed "soon", but TBD.

I hope so very soon. My daughter is getting married at Rollins chapel end of May and right now we have to wear masks coming down the aisle. ?

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Hubby and I should have second doses by end of July but as a fellow Canadian, my concern is actually more with being able to get in/out of Canada without quarantine.  It is the border issue that concerns me more these day.  I will be so thankful if I can cruise Allure in December without issue.

My wife’s brother is up in NB now visiting their parents.   

Last week he missed one of the random “we’re checking to make sure you’re quarantining” phone calls.   They threatened him with fines and jail time.

He’s fully vaccinated....Pfizer shots  

I hope things get better for all of you up there soon.  

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Start watching those old world war two movies and practicing your "tunneling" skills.

I'm watching to see how all this plays out with the theme parks as well.  With the Florida executive orders regarding masks and vaccines, I'm wondering how the private giant entities like Disney and the cruise companies will respond.  Jane

5 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I'm watching to see how all this plays out with the theme parks as well.  With the Florida executive orders regarding masks and vaccines, I'm wondering how the private giant entities like Disney and the cruise companies will respond.  Jane

Disney will do whatever it wants and DeSantis will have to find a way to embrace it.  He doesn't have any relevant control over cruise lines despite what some of his staffers have suggested.  In fact it's not clear how private business would make out in a court of law if any large business tested the limits of governor EO powers or even a hastily thrown together bill that piggybacks on another bill to get it done quickly.  

On 5/1/2021 at 11:45 PM, twangster said:

Disney will do whatever it wants and DeSantis will have to find a way to embrace it.  He doesn't have any relevant control over cruise lines despite what some of his staffers have suggested.  In fact it's not clear how private business would make out in a court of law if any large business tested the limits of governor EO powers or even a hastily thrown together bill that piggybacks on another bill to get it done quickly.  

Both Disney and Universal Studios just announced that they will no longer require temperature checks. I'm sure that the mask mandate may fall by the wayside soon as well. 

I still don't believe that what DeSantis is doing is going to affect the cruise lines. He has no control over them. I'm still saying that cruising from Florida will start up in mid July. 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Temperature checks were a very early on way that we thought we could spot potential covid. But quickly it was determined a fever was not the best indicator of covid.

True. But that was determined months ago, around July-August 2020 if memory serves. Temperature checks continued in full swing until it became politically expedient to remove them. I mean, I'm all for less restrictions and no temp checks! And I hope beyond all hopes that cruising does resume in mid July. Time will tell.