Florida House passes bill to permanently ban COVID-19 'vaccine passports'

Desantis was asked about cruising from FL ports if cruise lines require vaccinations today. His response was, "I don't think its a very good idea for people to have disclose health information." A non-answer if there ever was one.

Moreover, we've had this discussion already. Proving you were fit-to-sail using one of those forms from your PCP a year ago when the pandemic was just getting underway was deemed to not be disclosing personal health information publicly as that information was being collected by people authorized to collect it and held by health care personal on the ship.

Proving that you've been vaccinated to board a cruise ship will be addressed in the same way and I feel pretty confident that Desants' people have already prepared statements for the Governor that will allow cruise lines to obtain and hold vaccination information privately and legally once there's calrity on if and when this will actually take place. No reason to start a fire-storm over this now. It will work out regardless of which path the cruise lines take on this issue. Desantis is not going to put barriers in the way of a cruise ship restart. If anything, he's removing them as we speak.

3 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

What if the CDC and Royal gave passengers options?

People with vaccine would follow xyz

People who choose not to get the vaccine would have to follow xyz.

People would lose their minds if this happened!

My wife and I were actually talking about just that the other day. I can see a scenario where they say, in order to cruise, you must either show proof of vaccination or have a negative PCR test within 72 hours or something like that. 

4 hours ago, WesKinetic said:

My wife and I were actually talking about just that the other day. I can see a scenario where they say, in order to cruise, you must either show proof of vaccination or have a negative PCR test within 72 hours or something like that. 

This is an idea I can get behind with a few small additions, for those who are not vaccinated but present a negative test no more than 72 hours old they must submit to a rapid antigen test pier side before they board the ship.  If that test is also negative they are then allow to board and perhaps a second rapid antigen test on day 2 or 3 of the voyage. 

15 hours ago, cruisellama said:

I understand the governors objection to a gov't creating vaccination passport, but is he considering the vaccine cards a travel passport?   They're just a shot record like those of the past.  Not seeing why  showing proof of vaccination that big a deal?  Don't schools require shot records for student enrollment?  Seems like the mandatory PCR testing for travel is just as intrusive from the health privacy issue.

His issue is you should not have to prove you’re vaccinated to go to a baseball game or walk into a grocery store. He’s talking about participating in everyday life should not require proof you’ve been vaccinated. 

16 hours ago, twangster said:

I believe so, so we could see increased confrontation over masks at stores and bars.  "The governor says I don't have to..." 

I’m going to the eye doctor today in north Florida and they require a mask. I’m going to Publix afterwards and I’ll see if masks are still required. 

My daughter is getting married in central Florida in 3 weeks. As far as we know, masks are still required in the chapel but not at the reception venue. 

Just reading an article and a Public Health and Law Professor from USF, Dr. Jay Wolfson,  stated that the new law won't stop most cruises from sailing from the state. He stated that "the cruise lines can legally ask you for proof of vaccination and that they are not a Florida company, I don't think any of them really are. I don't think the governor would stand in the way of that happening".

I believe that this new law pertains to the things that we do every day here in Florida. 

15 hours ago, WesKinetic said:

It's ALL about GIVING PEOPLE OPITIONS!!!  Thank you for bringing some common sense to this topic.  Although, common sense now a days is gone.

10 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

This is an idea I can get behind with a few small additions, for those who are not vaccinated but present a negative test no more than 72 hours old they must submit to a rapid antigen test pier side before they board the ship.  If that test is also negative they are then allow to board and perhaps a second rapid antigen test on day 2 or 3 of the voyage. 

Like I quoted WesKinetic, Thank you for bringing some common sense or shall I say options for people vs only our way or the highway.  It really isn't a hard concept to grasp, it's only the people who aren't willing to think outside the box have a difficult time to see or will twist the story   

Ok so listening to our local news station this morning in north Florida, the lifting of all Covid mandates (mask mandates) pertains to government mandates: city/county mask mandates for example. Private businesses can still require masks to enter. 

1 hour ago, Jill said:

Ok so listening to our local news station this morning in north Florida, the lifting of all Covid mandates (mask mandates) pertains to government mandates: city/county mask mandates for example. Private businesses can still require masks to enter. 

One of the things I found interesting when I was in Florida last week was the number of people wearing masks, not because they had to, but because it was what they chose to do.  When I was in a Winn-Dixie, I'd say it was about 50/50 mask vs no-mask.  I think government, in general, doesn't give the general population enough credit to make the right decisions that are right for them. 

8 hours ago, coneyraven said:

One of the things I found interesting when I was in Florida last week was the number of people wearing masks, not because they had to, but because it was what they chose to do.  When I was in a Winn-Dixie, I'd say it was about 50/50 mask vs no-mask.  I think government, in general, doesn't give the general population enough credit to make the right decisions that are right for them. 

Absolutely! We’ve gotten this reputation as being a bunch of idiots. Masks are worn everywhere and I’m in conservative north Florida.