Going to Cozumel

There are two excursions options typically offered from Cozumel.

The Mayan ruins on Cozumel island are legit but have been reduced to very little over time.

The Mayan ruins on the mainland are also legit and more substantial but they require a ferry ride from the island of Cozumel across a channel that can be rough at times.   Once across the channel you board a bus for a long ride to the ruins.  It makes for a long day and if you are susceptible to seasickness the ferry ride may not be very enjoyable.

If your cruise included a stop at Puerto Maya I'd recommend doing the ruins from there since that is already on the mainland.  

In your case you can do them from Cozumel but be aware which one you book and the journey involved with reaching the better ruins on the mainland. 

I enjoyed Tulum, but we didn't get to stay very long. I took the RC excursion to make sure that the ship would wait for me. I wish that they would have skipped the stop at the souvenir store and had less shopping time so that we could have stayed at the ruins longer. 

Overall, I am glad that I did the excursion.

A few years ago we did the excursion to the Tulum Mayan ruins. We took a ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen where we took a bus to Tulum. If you have never seen the ruins before I feel it was worth the trip, the ruins are very extensive in size and our guide was very knowledgeable. If I remember the ferry ride was about 45 minutes each way and the bus was about 1 hour each way. We had ample time for the ruins and totally enjoyed it. Our total time for the excursion was around 8 hrs. One suggestion I would make is to bring plenty of water with you because the day we went it was hot and dry.

Of the two mainland tours, I've done Tulum (2014-ish). Chichen Itza (which is the more spectacular of the two ruins)  I did years ago (2003-ish), albeit when we were vacationing in Cancun, and when you could still climb the temple.

Tulum was pretty nice. Like @JRT we got a partially guided tour and more than enough time to explore the ruins and have some fun at the beach. We did have to spend 30-45 minutes at the midpoint souvenir shop though - I don't like it, but I get it. 

Meanwhile, my brother and his wife did Chichen Itza off the boat a few years ago. They got back to the ship late (probably 45 min) but since he booked through Royal, the ship waited for them.

I would say that if you do either of these two tours, you should book via the cruise line. Even though the Tulum tour will get you back to Playa del Carmen in plenty of time, the ferry adds an extra point of risk, so this is the one time where I'd say that it's worth paying the cruise premium for an excursion.

57 minutes ago, KWong said:

I would say that if you do either of these two tours, you should book via the cruise line. Even though the Tulum tour will get you back to Playa del Carmen in plenty of time, the ferry adds an extra point of risk, so this is the one time where I'd say that it's worth paying the cruise premium for an excursion.

Whole heartily agree on this point.

1 hour ago, dodgestang said:

To be clear....there is no mainland tour being offered at this time on the cruise we are on....just the local to Cozumel tour.  Hence my question....is it really worth it...or is it 40 sq feet of stones with a tourist trap built on top of it.  ?

Given you have no alternative, it's fine if you want to see Mayan Ruins.

Pre covid, I'd say it was a good choice if you wanted to do something else, like combine it with a beach day or maybe go into town to eat.

So the ruins on Cozumel aren't a full day experience by any means, but it is still real Mayan ruins.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Given you have no alternative, it's fine if you want to see Mayan Ruins.

Pre covid, I'd say it was a good choice if you wanted to do something else, like combine it with a beach day or maybe go into town to eat.

So the ruins on Cozumel aren't a full day experience by any means, but it is still real Mayan ruins.

Yeah they bill it as a 4 hour tour.....with ruins and a beach day so seemed to be hinting it isn't a 'big' deal for ruins....but maybe the kids will like it