Atlantis?

CruiseNewbie22

Hi Everyone!  So, we are going on our very first cruise soon, and we have been back and forth on this decision.  We are stopping in Nassau for a day, and we are trying to figure out if Atlantis is worth the $$ (and, which Atlantis excursion is right for us).  We leave the boat at 7am, and the boat leaves at 2pm.  Doesn't seem like a ton of time for the amount of money Atlantis is.  Is it worth it?  Do we need to get the all-included one?  Thoughts?  Thank you!!!

I did Atlantis a few years back.  It's a lovely property, but for me, it's far too pricey. 

The standard stops for Nassau are the pirate museum (surprisingly good in my opinion), a stop at John Watling (rum distillery), the Queen's Stairs, the Government House, and the shopping on Bay Street.  All of this can easily be accomplished in a day without booking any sort of tour, but you may opt to do that as well.  There are also beaches within just a 10 minute walk of the port building if that's something you're looking to do.  Several resorts on said beaches offer day passes for food, drink, beach chairs, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with the above. While I've vacationed twice at the Atlantis and it is a great place, it's just not worth the money for the few hours you'll be there. If your doing a Western Caribbean cruise and want to do a water park, consider the new one in Costa Maya.

Depending on the length of your cruise and what ship you are on, you may want to consider staying on board in Nassau and enjoying the ship to yourself. That's what we do there.

I totally agree. IMO downtown Nassau is a dump, my spidey senses were tingling the whole time there. I thought I was going to be jumped at any moment. The Mrs and I did pop over to Atlantis which is 100% beautiful and safe but not really worth the expense for the short time available. If I ever go back I'll be hanging on the ship.

We leave the boat at 7am, and the boat leaves at 2pm.  Doesn't seem like a ton of time for the amount of money Atlantis is. 

If you're talking about Aquaventure, the water park, then you're right, it is a lot of money for minimal time. If I remember correctly, Aquaventure doesn't open until 10 am, and most likely you'll need to be leaving there by 12:30-1:00 pm in order to get back to the ship on time (1:30 pm all aboard). So, at best you'll get three hours there.

If you're talking about Aquaventure, the water park, then you're right, it is a lot of money for minimal time. If I remember correctly, Aquaventure doesn't open until 10 am, and most likely you'll need to be leaving there by 12:30-1:00 pm in order to get back to the ship on time (1:30 pm all aboard). So, at best you'll get three hours there.

I read somewhere that they open early for the ships like Allure that leave early.  Even if this is true, it's still not worth it for the limited time and the expense involved.

By the way, for those who may be perusing this thread in the future and may wonder just how much this excursion costs, I just checked my Anthem of the Seas cruise that's going there in October 2017, and they're already offering the Atlantis Aquaventure excursion for $189/person.

At least Anthem of the Seas is at Nassau from 7 am to 6 pm, so one can get a relatively decent value out of the tickets to the water park, but it's still pricey.

By the way, for those who may be perusing this thread in the future and may wonder just how much this excursion costs, I just checked my Anthem of the Seas cruise that's going there in October 2017, and they're already offering the Atlantis Aquaventure excursion for $189/person.

At least Anthem of the Seas is at Nassau from 7 am to 6 pm, so one can get a relatively decent value out of the tickets to the water park, but it's still pricey.

Same on the Allure in January and the all-aboard is likely 1:30 p.m.

• 1 month later...

I did Atlantis a few years back.  It's a lovely property, but for me, it's far too pricey. 

The standard stops for Nassau are the pirate museum (surprisingly good in my opinion), a stop at John Watling (rum distillery), the Queen's Stairs, the Government House, and the shopping on Bay Street.  All of this can easily be accomplished in a day without booking any sort of tour, but you may opt to do that as well.  There are also beaches within just a 10 minute walk of the port building if that's something you're looking to do.  Several resorts on said beaches offer day passes for food, drink, beach chairs, etc.

This is just what I was wondering. Thanks! Can you walk to the museum and steps from the ship?

This is just what I was wondering. Thanks! Can you walk to the museum and steps from the ship?

Quite easily, it should only take a couple of minutes.  They'll generally provide maps on teh ship if you want them, but they're also available in the port building you walk through as you enter the city.  Further there are many friendly police officers that will be glad to point you in the right direction.