Americans will be able to vacation in the EU this summer!!

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

The relevant question will be if the CDC changes its guidance on vacationing in Europe on a cruise ship

Not sure how they would get a vote.   How does the CDC  control what  a US tourist could do while in the EU?   Control US re-entry by adding onerous requirements?  But they need to know you're cruising first.

18 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Not sure how they would get a vote.   How does the CDC  control what  a US tourist could do while in the EU?   Control US re-entry by adding onerous requirements?  But they need to know you're cruising first.

I'm not suggesting they can control it.  Their recommendations are to avoid cruise ship travel.  Keyword recommendations.  

So will Americans be able to visit Europe while the CDC continues to recommend against cruise ship travel?

I think it's very telling how biased the CDC is against one form of travel.

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

We'll see how that plays out. It's one thing for the EU to say it. Now you just have to get the individual countries to agree to it

Exactly. I'm skeptical. First and as an aside, the CDC's often confusing and contradictory positions on travel/mobility and social contacts for US citizens and seemingly without regard to the impact of vaccines  stand in stark contrast to the one voice - the EUC - that speaks clearly on the subject of travel (implied mobility and social contact). Its just nutz.

Having said that, the EU is notoriously divided on many subjects and this one is a hot topic. I don't think there is any question that Spain, Italy and Greece, among select Baltic states will encourage vaccinated US citizens to come to their countries. France - probably. The Netherlands, Germany and the Scandinavian countries? Not sure. Switzerland is not a member of the EU. Boarders still closed there. 

Then we have the situation unraveling in India and Brazil. That sort of thing tends to make the WHO uneasy and willing to recommend things in "an abundance of caution." They don't control anything but they are influencers much like the CDC.

Agree!  We pushed a cruise from last year and just finished moving things from this year to spring 2022, but would really like to see things get rolling this summer/fall to get the kinks all worked out and this EU news is another welcome step.   That way, hoping one year from now there still might be some (light?) protocols, vaccine requirement etc, but things are running closer to normal....just wanted, needed something locked in to look forward to.  

things can't stay closed forever.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

I think this is great news in terms of direction and moving forward.  If for nothing else I feel much better about my 2022 summer plans for Europe having deferred all my 2021 Europe travel.

100% agree. I saw the headline and my first thought was that my 2022 Med cruise in August is now a solid lock.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

The relevant question will be if the CDC changes its guidance on vacationing in Europe on a cruise ship

The CDC has no control over what a US citizen does in another country. 

The CDC does have a say or can offer it opinion on entry requirements into the US.  If each individual EU states goes along with this and grants entry to  fully vaccinated Americans there will be increased pressure on the US to reciprocate and allow fully vaccinated Europeans into America.  If the US does not reciprocate then we may see the EU take a different stance toward Americans until our government allows Europeans to travel here.

I said this in another thread and got some push back from others but this is what the airlines on both sides of the Atlantic are pushing for behind the scenes.  They are pushing the EU, UK, and US to open their borders and waive the negative test requirement for fully vaccinated individuals.  Airlines on both sides of the Atlantic are pushing to have this in place by July at the latest to help save their summer Atlantic travel season which other than Christmas is busiest travel season over the Atlantic.  The fact that the EU Commission President is saying what he has said is leading me to believe progress is being made at least on the European side of the Atlantic, fingers crossed progress is being made on this side of the Atlantic.  We are not there yet but at least with this announcement from the EU President this is a small step in the right direction.

I have an 9 night Odyssey cruise booked for May of 2022 getting the borders reopened this year would give me peace of mind and I won't have to worry about when Europe will reopen to Americans.