ODDS OF JULY SAILINGS

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There's probably a better chance that the lawsuit gets an injunction than the CDC opening things up before November.  Maybe not much more of a chance though

My thoughts of the day are no injunction and the CDC does the only thing it does best - nothing. 

At some point in June the administration sees how out of touch the CDC has grown and gives them a kick under the table that we never see.  At that point, sometime in June, the countdown timer starts to a restart. T- 60 days ish. 

The administration won't do it publicly in case it backfires. 

I saw mentioned back up a bit that people are getting burned out on restrictions.  

Working in a supermarket, I see this more and more every day.  Pandemic Fatigue is real and starting to take over.  

As more and more people become fully vaccinated, those people are questioning masks, capacity limits, and distancing measures.   To put it bluntly, people are getting pissed. 

At some point (and I believe it will be soon), things are going to come to a head, especially as the demand for vaccines drops due to the majority being vaccinated.  I hope that the federal government (ie. CDC) doesn’t try to maintain some semblance of control by continuing to refuse cruising from US ports. 

On a personal note, the ban on cruising from US ports may be the catalyst we need to take a cruise in Europe this summer since my wife and I will be considered fully vaccinated in a couple weeks. 

2 hours ago, teddy said:

I saw mentioned back up a bit that people are getting burned out on restrictions.  

Working in a supermarket, I see this more and more every day.  Pandemic Fatigue is real and starting to take over.  

As more and more people become fully vaccinated, those people are questioning masks, capacity limits, and distancing measures.   To put it bluntly, people are getting pissed. 

At some point (and I believe it will be soon), things are going to come to a head, especially as the demand for vaccines drops due to the majority being vaccinated.  I hope that the federal government (ie. CDC) doesn’t try to maintain some semblance of control by continuing to refuse cruising from US ports. 

On a personal note, the ban on cruising from US ports may be the catalyst we need to take a cruise in Europe this summer since my wife and I will be considered fully vaccinated in a couple weeks. 

My next booking isn't until Nov, but if that get's axed, I will start moving those deposits/credit to non-US embarkations and pay the extra airfare.  It's ridiculous.  

Thoughts if this might be some progress in CDC's mindset changing or just becoming more flexible...

From this article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/04/28/cdc-cruises-could-restart-july/4883450001/

Based on industry feedback, the CDC landed on five clarifications to its additional guidance issued April 2 to allow a resumption of sailing:

• Ships can bypass the required simulated test voyages carrying volunteers and jump to sailings with paying passengers if 98% of crew and 95% of passengers are fully vaccinated.
  • CDC will review and respond to applications from cruise lines for simulated voyages within 5 days, a review previously expected to take 60 days.
  • CDC will update its testing and quarantine requirements for passengers and crew on sailings with paying passengers to align with the CDC's guidance for fully vaccinated people. So, for example, instead of taking a PCR lab test ahead of boarding vaccinated passengers can take a rapid antigen test upon embarkation.
  • CDC has clarified that cruise ship operators may enter into a "multi-port agreement" rather than a single port agreement as long as all port and local authorities sign the agreement.
  • The CDC has clarified guidance on quarantine guidelines for passengers who may be exposed to or contract COVID-19. For example, local passengers may be able to drive home and passengers who have traveled to cruise may quarantine in a hotel.

5 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Thoughts if this might be some progress in CDC's mindset changing or just becoming more flexible...

From this article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/04/28/cdc-cruises-could-restart-july/4883450001/

Based on industry feedback, the CDC landed on five clarifications to its additional guidance issued April 2 to allow a resumption of sailing:

• Ships can bypass the required simulated test voyages carrying volunteers and jump to sailings with paying passengers if 98% of crew and 95% of passengers are fully vaccinated.
  • CDC will review and respond to applications from cruise lines for simulated voyages within 5 days, a review previously expected to take 60 days.
  • CDC will update its testing and quarantine requirements for passengers and crew on sailings with paying passengers to align with the CDC's guidance for fully vaccinated people. So, for example, instead of taking a PCR lab test ahead of boarding vaccinated passengers can take a rapid antigen test upon embarkation.
  • CDC has clarified that cruise ship operators may enter into a "multi-port agreement" rather than a single port agreement as long as all port and local authorities sign the agreement.
  • The CDC has clarified guidance on quarantine guidelines for passengers who may be exposed to or contract COVID-19. For example, local passengers may be able to drive home and passengers who have traveled to cruise may quarantine in a hotel.

What stands out to me is why would the CDC all of a sudden would allow sailing "if 98% of crew and 95% of passengers are fully vaccinated" unless the CDC is leaving a "window open for failure", so-to-speak, should there be an outbreak onboard to cover their backside and throw blame on the cruiselines claiming "we told you so". Sounds like a set up.

8 hours ago, CGTLH said:

I think it's real progress.  And given the rumors of hotels full of cruise workers in south Florida and the reports of 2 Carnival ships heading to Galveston to prep for cruises, I believe the cruise lines are committed to making it work.

In other words I went from hopelessly pessimistic to an incurable optimist in about 2 nanoseconds!

7 minutes ago, Tarheel0907 said:

they cant expect to have all cruises vaccination mandatory. As i said in my OP, if you are vaccinated no need for a test to board, if you arent you need a test just as you were entering the country.. its pretty simple really

It's only simple if the CDC agrees with that approach.

Cruise lines don't get to make up the rules.  They have to play by the rules the CDC is allowing.  

@Tarheel0907I would disagree, having a 95% vaccinated cruise is a totally reasonable expectation. It is a way of absolution. We must keep in mind that having a negative test at one juncture does not mean that person is covid free. However, having been vaccinated means the chances are a lot less.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

It's only simple if the CDC agrees with that approach.

Cruise lines don't get to make up the rules.  They have to play by the rules the CDC is allowing.  

The CDC can't mandate a vaccine. But as we saw from that report, they sure can make it a PITA if you don't want to have a mostly vaccinated cruise.

On 4/26/2021 at 7:10 PM, twangster said:

A difference in Europe with the summer 2021 sailings are the completely different nature of the itinerary.  

For the purpose of this thread and cruises from the US they can't do cruises to nowhere or domestic only cruises.  If ships sail in the US it will be to somewhere.  

I don't think they'll cancel US cruises and try to resell them on short notice.  That never works well.  I think very few of the July/August sail dates are 100% sold out or at capacity now so they they aren't starting with a full ship.  Some will cancel or use CWC if they sail, some have already CWC'd their cruises.  Worst case finds them needing to trim some bookings but I suspect a lot of that will be done naturally.  

Then, why did they cancel those Mariner sailings?

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/03/16/royal-caribbean-redeploys-mariner-of-the-seas-between-october-2021-april-2022

Doubtful. I booked a Cancun vacation in July that coincides with our sail date a day before the restart announcement. At first I was like, it figures, but now feel the cruise will be canceled again. Not sure how I would feel being the first back in a boat with so much uncertainty.

I think the odds drop every day that they dont announce a clear "path" that they have agreed on and are walking down.

I have a mid-July booking that I would sail on without hesitation but most of the group i booked with is hoping to get cancelled and head up to Georgia for a week, they dont want to be on one of the first cruises ... 

16 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I think the odds drop every day that they dont announce a clear "path" that they have agreed on and are walking down.

I have a mid-July booking that I would sail on without hesitation but most of the group i booked with is hoping to get cancelled and head up to Georgia for a week, they dont want to be on one of the first cruises ... 

Have you tried to check-in for you cruise in July or does it state unavailable?

8 minutes ago, Annie kaley said:

We have 60 days to go for our cruise. The 4th of July on Allure. We have a back up plan. My son and is girlfriend have started new jobs and don’t know what dates to give for vacation requests. I say if you are going to cancel do so people know how to plan their lives. Not fair to the consumer.

I agree. I have 73 days to go for my scheduled July 17th cruise. Check in is unavailable on the website. I understand the business side of trying to make July cruises happen and not wanting to have another round of cancellations but there is basically radio silence from the major cruise lines on the status of July cruises beyond the boilerplate, they would like to see cruising resume in July. I would love to take my scheduled cruise in July but I hope Royal comes out with some more updates on cruise resumption plans and at least give some tentative plan to let those with July cruises make appropriate plans and schedule other vacations especially in this market for summer travel which has crazy demand and the later Royal waits to give updates, the less fair it is to the consumer who has money tied up in July sailings. 

23 minutes ago, Annie kaley said:

We have 60 days to go for our cruise. The 4th of July on Allure. We have a back up plan. My son and is girlfriend have started new jobs and don’t know what dates to give for vacation requests. I say if you are going to cancel do so people know how to plan their lives. Not fair to the consumer.

Well said, but falling on deaf ears. RCG is trying to survive by using the revenue from their loyal customers deposits, cruise planner purchases, etc. and using an old "Peter to pay Paul" scheme as long as they can. I'm 59 days away and can't even check-in. Per RCG, information will be released 30-days prior to departure. I think it's cutting it close but, c'est la vie !!

38 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Well said, but falling on deaf ears. RCG is trying to survive by using the revenue from their loyal customers deposits, cruise planner purchases, etc. and using an old "Peter to pay Paul" scheme as long as they can. I'm 59 days away and can't even check-in. Per RCG, information will be released 30-days prior to departure. I think it's cutting it close but, c'est la vie !!

Likely that is also the reason that any news about specific ships and ports that will sail under the 98/95/5 protocol will not be forthcoming until the last possible moment to forestall the avalanche of phone calls requesting FCCs, refunds, or L&S.

8 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

Likely that is also the reason that any news about specific ships and ports that will sail under the 98/95/5 protocol will not be forthcoming until the last possible moment to forestall the avalanche of phone calls requesting FCCs, refunds, or L&S.

I guess everyone just has to sit and wait until the other shoe drops.

On 5/5/2021 at 1:55 PM, MaritimeR&R said:

Will requesting a l&s be possible? is it only if rc cancel? And what happens if you have already done a l&s?

Based on what has been published to date by RCG, if THEY cancel the sailing and it has not been previously Lifted/Shifted the following options are available:

• Lift and shift (even if it has been lifted and shifted previously due to a cancellation)
  • A refund 
  • A 125 FCC 

However, be forewarned;  if you opt to L&S, your deposit becomes a NRD (non-refundable)

I have a cruise August 2nd. It includes my 12 yr old who wont be vaccinated, and I definitely dont want to go on a cruise where we have to mask outside, or have to do "to go" food options, amongst other issues. My family members are vaccinated. I just assume cancel, but since I made final payments, hopefully we can lift and shift.