What cruise should i pick?

Modemer

I'm looking at doing my first RC cruise in December.  And I'm not sure what one I want to pick.  There are like 15 itineraries that match dates I could go. Itinerary really isn't a big deal.  We are a family of 5.  2 Adults and 3 kids, (14,12,10).  Should I pick an Oasis class or a Quantum class ship?  I've tried comparing the 2 but I don't understand the differences as far as onboard activities. I've heard that Quantum Class is better for Teens/tweens.

Things I would like to have are:
Flow Rider, Ripcord by iFly, Ocean view balcony.

Things I'm not worried about are:

Restaurants, specific shows (I'll take whatever the ship offers)

Hi Modemer, welcome to the forums!

There’s still a fair bit of uncertainty about when cruising will get back to normal. My personal opinion is that December should be safe, but the CDC / NIH / other government organization could decide to keep throwing wrenches into the works. So keep that in mind when booking anything for this year.

Quantum class is great. I’ve sailed Anthem of the Seas twice, and the class has a lot going for it. If iFly is a must-have, Quantum class is your only option as it’s exclusive to that class. Quantum class also has bumper cars, trapeze classes, an augmented reality game in the Two70 Lounge area, pool tables in the Music Hall space, and a few other activities unique to the class.

In addition, I believe that Quantum class typically has  more ocean view balcony cabins than Oasis class; @twangster and/or @Lovetocruise2002 can confirm. Oasis splits its balcony cabins between ocean view and boardwalk / Central Park view balconies, and charges a premium for the ocean view ones. So if budget is a factor, Quantum class will likely be a bit friendlier to your wallet and budget. (although Odyssey will be charging a premium as she’s the newest Quantum class ship)

I haven’t sailed Oasis class, I personally feel they’re much too large and too “inward facing” (not as big a connection to the ocean as other classes). But they do have a heck of a lot to do on board that kids and teens will enjoy, and many here will tell you it’s a great class of ship to start with.

I always recommend new cruisers lean in the direction of an Oasis or Quantum Class cruise ship, so it looks like you're already doing that.

Since you want ripcord by iFly, then Quantum Class is likely where you want to be. Moreover, you heard right that teens enjoy Quantum Class ships a bit more because the SeaPlex activities tend to favor their age group more.

Flowriders are on a lot of ships these days, so you have more of a selection based on that.

As many have said, you can't go wrong with either...I adore them both, and they both have unique things to offer. The Seaplex on the Quantum class is such a unique space, and the iFly was amazing, while the Aqua Theater on the Oasis class is definitely a 1 of a kind experience. 

Another thing to think about is your departure port. For example...I live in the Atlanta area, and Port Canaveral is a quick drive for me, where I have to fly to New Jersey for Anthem. If you might need to fly to one departure port over another, that might be something to factor into the equation.

Is your departure port from US?  We have Anthem booked at xmas and really want to try that ship (we have a few bookings of this ship as back ups). Have been on Allure and Symphony and Oasis class is amazing.  There is tons to do on either class for those ages so you can't go wrong.  The only doubt is when and where cruises will start up.  I personally an not certain we'll get on Anthem as it seems like most think that cruises will first start up in Florida vs New Jersey (then again, one bonus with Anthem is that it already has crew so who really knows).  So that might be something to keep in mind for this December.

In all honesty, with pre-teens/teens, you cannot go wrong with either class of ship.

My girls are going on 13/15 now.  They have done both classes over the years and they love both for different reasons.  Like you and many others have already said, Quantum class is great for activities and my kids made full use of those when they sailed Anthem.  But they also love Oasis class for all the neighbourhoods and the entertainment.  Our family is really into shows on a cruise so for that, there is no competing with Oasis class.

My oldest is a major foodie, and because of that, Oasis class gets the edge over Quantum class for her.  More options.

Both ships are great for kids, to narrow it down, I would personally look at ports, where the ship departs from, and what features of the ship matter more to the family.  Hope that helps.