RC suspends crew assignments for India nationals

How do you all suppose this will impact the staffing efforts for the June sailings on Adventure and Vision? Would that crew likely have already been hired and assembled to ensure enough time for vaccinations and training? Or could this cause those earliest sailings to now be at risk of cancellation?

Again another "its how you read it thing". As I read it a few times. It seems that the order is for employees moving forward. Not ones that have already been moved into position. "Halts hiring NEW crew" being key words there... Deep breaths. I'm sensing knee jerk reactions  equating "all " with "new".  I don't see "all or previous or existing" mentioned just  "new". 

16 hours ago, JLMoran said:

How do you all suppose this will impact the staffing efforts for the June sailings on Adventure and Vision? Would that crew likely have already been hired and assembled to ensure enough time for vaccinations and training? Or could this cause those earliest sailings to now be at risk of cancellation?

If they had to hire at once for the whole fleet, that may be an issue. But there are lots of other countries that can make up the difference for just the handful of ships this summer IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

"Onwards and upwards team" ......what this says to me is that RCL is operationally planning for it's ships to sail, I'd guess in the first week in July. Del Rio's remarks last week were pure theater. I think the several posts made within this forum present solid legal arguments that Ron Desantis has no intention at all of telling the cruise lines that plan on sailing from FL's ports, you can't require passengers to be vaccinated. Now, that's not to say RCL, for example, will require passengers to be vaccinated like NCL has already decided it will mandate them. Vaccine requirement plans remain to be seen for the lines other than NCL.

I think for all the lines, the two paths to return to cruising from US ports - test sailings to revenue sailings or straight to revenue sailings - that Bailey laid out is shaping their operational planning. If the court does not enjoin the CDC CSO, the back-up plan will be to do the best they can do given the CSO guidance hoping that dialogue will occur between the CDC and line executives along the way that brings the CSO up to date and makes protocols a bit more reasonable.

8 minutes ago, JeffB said:

.what this says to me is that RCL is operationally planning for it's ships to sail, I'd guess in the first week in July.

Agreed, but all cruise lines clearly have no issue hiring crew, and then subsequently cancelling their hiring if restart plans fizzle.

I seem to recall other crew members reporting being hired, and then delayed/cancelled those plans due to cruise line not needing them.  Maybe it was in one of @CHRIS WONG video updates?

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Agreed, but all cruise lines clearly have no issue hiring crew, and then subsequently cancelling their hiring if restart plans fizzle.

I seem to recall other crew members reporting being hired, and then delayed/cancelled those plans due to cruise line not needing them.  Maybe it was in one of @CHRIS WONG video updates?

I don't know how the contracting all works, but in my field, contingent hires are made often.  Are these truly contract canceled, or just ones whose start date is contingent on the CDC getting its head out of its rear end?

16 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't know how the contracting all works, but in my field, contingent hires are made often.  Are these truly contract canceled, or just ones whose start date is contingent on the CDC getting its head out of its rear end?

I'm not sure if I used the right word, but what you said... hired unless something happens that delays it