Australia/NZ Cruising News

2 hours ago, Mike.s said:

Celebrity has already committed a ship year round to Europe, no reason that Royal won't do the same at some point.

It's easy (easier) to fill small ships.  

And with that ship taking market share it will be harder to fill a larger ship.  The winter cruise market in Europe is not infinite.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It's easy (easier) to fill small ships.  

And with that ship taking market share it will be harder to fill a larger ship.  The winter cruise market in Europe is not infinite.

The cruise season is already year around in certain parts of the European market. I 100% agree its is  pure speculation and it's anyone's guess where Anthem will end up at with Odyssey taking over at Cape Liberty.  But with both NCL and now Celebrity jumping onto the year around cruising out of Europe the market must be growing.  It isn't infinite but something is happening the reason why US cruise lines are now doing year around cruising out of Europe.  

Time will tell if the rumors/speculation about Anthem are true or not but if the market continues to grow I don't see how Royal remains on the sidelines. 

6 hours ago, mattymay said:

Was on Ovation in Jan and they had the smaller ones which I'm guessing are the 330ml. Drank plenty of them! 🙂 

image.thumb.png.dda90b1bf2af69bf068817cdd495d08d.png

330ml should be banned, so bloody small.

Looks like the Fosters cans at 750ml are the winners for me.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, EnSeven said:

I'll be on Quantum out of Brisbane 4 April, 8 night South Pacific. Port Vila was cancelled so we'll be going Mystery Island >Noumea >(back to) Mystery Island  

The shore excursions seem...lacklustre. Any recommendations what to do on Mystery?

There’s not much at Mystery Island, there’s a few locals doing snorkeling but just DIY 

On 3/1/2023 at 8:51 PM, SteveK said:

On Australian sailings, can anyone let me know the size of the Buds that are available?

Are they 500ml or 330ml?

Seems the Fosters at 750ml for $9.75 (5%) are best bang for buck.

Aussie sailing only replies please.... thanks 

Just to answer my own question.

On Quantum now and they have NO Fosters Oil cans available for Australia sailings.

Shame they don't update their app to reflect that!

On 4/2/2023 at 4:55 AM, F1guynz said:

We are on the same sailing. I’ve been to Mystery Island before and it is really just a beach day. It takes about 30 minutes to walk around the island and there is a grass airport in the middle.

Thanks! I just saw on the check in page they want a negative RAT test, do you know if this info is still current? Do i just take a picture of it, or bring the stick with me? 

I sailed on Royal out of Singapore in January and this wasn't required, so I'm not really sure what I need to do

46 minutes ago, EnSeven said:

Thanks! I just saw on the check in page they want a negative RAT test, do you know if this info is still current? Do i just take a picture of it, or bring the stick with me? 

I sailed on Royal out of Singapore in January and this wasn't required, so I'm not really sure what I need to do

I just sailed Quantum out of Brisbane mid-March.  I had both the actual test strip with the negative result with me and a photo of it. It is still required by Australia (for cruises) and they did check.

20 hours ago, EnSeven said:

Took a photo but no one checked boarding in Sydney on Ovation.

On 4/3/2023 at 11:08 AM, EnSeven said:

Just stepped off Quantum this morning... all they wanted to see is your screenie of your Digital Certificate showing Vaccines and a photo of a negative RAT.

Do NOT take the RAT test with you.. photo only.

31 minutes ago, mattymay said:

Half my group got covid onboard Ovation so not sure why they even bother anymore!

I got Covid on Ovation a few weeks ago, I have had it before but it really knocked me around this time.

We had dinner in the MDR at a large table.The woman sitting next to me said she had Covid. I thought she was joking and said so how did you just get on the ship?

She said she lied, about 4 days later everyone that was at the table had Covid.

Like you said why bother with people like that around.

17 minutes ago, Chili said:

I got Covid on Ovation a few weeks ago, I have had it before but it really knocked me around this time.

We had dinner in the MDR at a large table.The woman sitting next to me said she had Covid. I thought she was joking and said so how did you just get on the ship?

She said she lied, about 4 days later everyone that was at the table had Covid.

Like you said why bother with people like that around.

At least she was honest about being dishonest?  Hmmm.  

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

Sad that we only have the two ships and no Radiance or Voyager class ships so we can go to all the amazing South Pacific islands. I think I will look further afield and focus my travel dollars on US or Europe for 2025  

I thought there might have been a smaller ship in Melbourne but not so.

I think Ovation will sell out pretty quickly in 24-25 .

1 hour ago, F1guynz said:

I wonder what will happen with Anthem then? I was hoping it would come here, if only so we could get some new shows. We Will Rock You would have been a popular show.

Someone posted on CC ,who says they are in the know???

Said That Anthem is going to Singapore and Spectrum may go back to Hong Kong.But that’s just a rumour.

It would good to see a ship home ported in Auckland but how would they process passengers? 

7 hours ago, Chili said:

Someone posted on CC ,who says they are in the know???

Said That Anthem is going to Singapore and Spectrum may go back to Hong Kong.But that’s just a rumour.

It would good to see a ship home ported in Auckland but how would they process passengers? 

A few years ago, P&O used to have a ship home ported here but there is just not the volume of passengers here to support one.

I wish Air2Sea was available here so you could do an end-to-end booking.

I don't mind flying to Brisbane for cruises as we have family there and the cruises on Quantum seems cheaper than Ovation. That said we will probably book Ovation for the 2025 season as there is only so many times you can do the same three Islands.

We are on Brilliance in November and I am looking forward to a different itinerary for a change. (Melbourne Adelaide and Kangaroo Island).

33 minutes ago, F1guynz said:

They don't offer air2sea in New Zealand? That surprises me.

I'm in the USA, but I've got a Sydney to Auckland cruise on Celebrity scheduled in February. Flights By Celebrity had no trouble setting me up with all of the flights I need. I believe that Air2Sea and Flights By Celebrity are 2 sides of the same coin.

1 hour ago, F1guynz said:

A few years ago, P&O used to have a ship home ported here but there is just not the volume of passengers here to support one.

I don't mind flying to Brisbane for cruises as we have family there and the cruises on Quantum seems cheaper than Ovation. That said we will probably book Ovation for the 2025 season as there is only so many times you can do the same three Islands.

We are on Brilliance in November and I am looking forward to a different itinerary for a change. (Melbourne Adelaide and Kangaroo Island).

Auckland has a few things going for it as a home port.

It’s closer to Noumea and the islands than Australia I believe. So it would be good for Lelepa if we ever see it.

N.Z is very popular with the North Americans and is 3 hours less flying time. 

I might see you on Brilliance to Kangaroo Island, I haven’t booked it but very close.